All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?

Go down 
+19
RCTankboy
tanis
greener179
craftsmancole
GenevaCustoms
TroyBilt Pony
Doug
Thunderdivine
willis923
mrkadage
Doc Sprocket
1997 Murray
redlinemotorsportts
richie thomas
B440
Creepycrawler
Stretch44875
Lawren Wimberly
RCG
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
untrusty huskee

2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist

Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2014, 2:21 pm

i see that this is a big discussion about mtd and there vari drives well my mtd huskee has one and i did a pulley swap on the trans it had a 8" i think and i found a 5 1/2" and it works just fine just had to buy a smaller belt. and it is a monster in the mud bc if you want more "speed" you would just hold back the clutch and rip it up. but the problem i am having is i am always blowing the back belt. and i hardly blow the front one. i am running a 50"rubber b belt on the front and a 39"Kevlar a belt. and i cant see why i keep blowing belts.
Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 4 Unname32
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2014, 2:44 pm

untrusty huskee wrote:
i did a pulley swap on the trans it had a 8" i think and i found a 5 1/2" and it works just fine
untrusty huskee wrote:
but the problem i am having is i am always blowing the back belt.

Well, which is it? Does it work just fine, or does it eat the back belt, where you replaced the pulley?  Wink 
Back to top Go down
jack9102
jack9102

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2014, 11:19 am

First, here's a link to a YT video showing the operating principle of the Variable Speed Pulley system.

This is not the typical layout in most post 2000 MTD mowers [they use a rear belt arranged in a triangular setup, with the front  just running straight down the center of the chassis].  This setup still shows the base method of operation; A moveable double-v pulley [I'll call it the VSP] with a sliding center disc moves toward and away from the driving [engine] pulley, and a spring loaded tensioner keeps the rear belt tight at all times, even with the 'clutch' pedal all the way in. The pedal is linked directly to the pivoting VSP bracket, and the 'shifter' switch on the dash/fender just limits its movement by means of a stepped bracket, fixing the position of the VSP and thus holding a constant speed. Clutch disengagement is only achieved because the pedal-in position moves the VSP so close to the engine that the front belt goes loose.

The most common problem people have with VSP trannys slipping is because of a worn/wrong rear belt, or a saggy tensioner spring. Hard 'shifts' or sticky feeling clutch is caused by the VSP unit seizing, probably because of sitting forever or just wear of the sliding disc. MTD original VSP rear belts work fine. Don't use the old rubber furnace blower belts you've got laying around. Belt width and length are imperative to proper shifting and tension. If a trans pulley swap is done, a different rear belt isn't needed, just modify the tensioner to suit the different trans pulley.

Possible modifications I can see to this system to make it more than practical in ATLT use is first, belly plates to keep trees/brush/water/mud/jenk out of the VSP. Then, as far as speed/pulley swapping goes, a larger engine pulley [will require a longer front belt] And a smaller trans-mounted pulley, as in any mower pulley swap. With VSP systems however, you have a max and min size for each pulley.

Consider 4.5" the largest for the front, and no smaller than 3" in the back. I run a 4"/4" and get a decent trail speed and slow enough crawl ratio in 'first' My tractor's a 2006 YardWorks 15.5/42 Tecumseh Formula. Same pulley sizes are generally the guideline for all off-road/rally mowers since the combo of speed/crawl is just right. Thing is though, MTD VSP trannys are generally geared a hair faster than a typical Peerless/Foote/Spicer. I'm sure you've noticed the speed some of these stock MTD's have compared to some hydros and gear trannys. BELLY PLATES ARE A MUST. KEEP THE VSP DRY/CLEAN.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: