All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?

Go down 
+19
RCTankboy
tanis
greener179
craftsmancole
GenevaCustoms
TroyBilt Pony
Doug
Thunderdivine
willis923
mrkadage
Doc Sprocket
1997 Murray
redlinemotorsportts
richie thomas
B440
Creepycrawler
Stretch44875
Lawren Wimberly
RCG
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GenevaCustoms

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2014, 9:54 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Lawren Wimberly wrote:
I agree with that 100% Doc. As a matter of fact, mainemudmower and myself were discussing this earlier in chat... MTD's are plentiful, cheap, and often the very mower a new member HAS to start with. A build based on the MTD standard drive system, able to perform as well as say, a Murray widebody build, would be helpful to a lot of beginners.

Unfortunately, the rule of thumb seems to be

"If ya cant figure it out, RIP it out"

True statement lawren. I removed mine in shear fact that i can use a reliable system (transaxle/clutch) and its doing just that. Seems like less going on. To me, MTD's are in the crowd of "i dont have $ for a easy, popular to mod tractor (ex: widebody's 90's craftsman's) so im going to do what i can with this cheap tractor." The hole idea im trying to say is, if you start doing big mods to these, special mods that require special tools that the average joe doesnt have, then you're stepping out of the boundaries of "cheap" and "keeping it simple". Going over board on a MTD for the average kid dont make to much seance if they can get a widebody, craftsman, or something along the lines thats easier, and cheaper to mod.

If you want to do a video series on this MMM go for it! You will sure get views and more attention from the "cheaper" crowd me thinks. Just think that the mods have to be relatively small, easy, cheap, yet change the tractors abilities a good about so people try it.

(i dont mean to sound like a jerk or anything in this)

I thought this was a poor mans hobbie? Of course people are going to go for the cheapest thing. If we all had money to start with I'm sure we'd all have atvs because they are just overall better, but there way to expensive for the normal person to just go out and buy to take in the mud, and there not as fun because let's face it, it's a mower in the mud.. It's not designed to it that's why it's fun. take them were there not suppose to go its awesome. But a fourwheeler designed to do that will obviously do it better, but maybe not as fun cuz there's no challenge. I like when people just build something that moves it doesn't have to be perfect. It's a mower it's not going to be perfect. Unless your thunder lol. Most people coming into this hobbie are coming into it because they don't have a lot of extra cash laying around. So I'd say try everything everyone mentioned because if people can modify vari drive cheaply and make it worth a damn then that's great. People won't have to modify there mower significantly to make a manual fit in there. People shouldn't need tons of money to build a mower.

P.S.

Don't mean to sound like jerk but you kinda did to the people who don't have acces to such amounts of money and or scrap yards to get cheap "nice" mowers.
Back to top Go down
GenevaCustoms
GenevaCustoms

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2014, 9:56 pm

And you don't need special tools to make a mower.. Or at least last time I checked you needed about a 1/2 wrench 9/16 and 7/16, maybe a 3/8
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2014, 10:06 pm

Dont forget your pliers!! Lmfao
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2014, 10:17 pm

GenevaCustoms wrote:
And you don't need special tools to make a mower.. Or at least last time I checked you needed about a 1/2 wrench 9/16 and 7/16, maybe a 3/8
you only forgot a hacksaw and pipe for a cheater bar
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 12:30 am

GenevaCustoms wrote:
Im talking about things like a welder, or a grinder or something. Basic hand tools or whatever. I didn't think like I sounded like a jerk at all in my OP. saying that in the "mower modding world" MTDS are usually picked by people who can't afford a good mower to mod. I got mine free and still don't think I'd pay someone for a craftsman or something decent to mod.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 1:35 am

GenevaCustoms wrote:
Im talking about things like a welder, or a grinder or something. Basic hand tools or whatever. I didn't think like I sounded like a jerk at all in my OP. saying that in the "mower modding world" MTDS are usually picked by people who can't afford a good mower to mod. I got mine free and still don't think I'd pay someone for a craftsman or something decent to mod.
to be honest, to do some of the more serious mod's that we do, you kinda do need a welder, however, you need alot more than those 4 sized wrenches to be able to work on em,
Back to top Go down
RCG
RCG

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 9:25 am

richie thomas wrote:
GenevaCustoms wrote:
to be honest, to do some of the more serious mod's that we do, you kinda do need a welder, however, you need alot more than those 4 sized wrenches to be able to work on em,

Richhie has a good point.

Maybe the reality of a good mtd how to test modding experiment would be minimum tools including the cheapest of harbor freight welders. and a 14.95 grinder with harbor freight cutoff wheels and wirewheel. Something a kid could show there parents and say "See you can do it with a cheap welder" AKA can i have one for Christmas or my birthday.

Back to top Go down
http://www.Mudmower.com
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 10:49 am

Or the kid can work like i do and buy it. Harbor freight cut off wheels are death in motion. Everyone should know a person with an arsenal of tools they could use for a little bit of work for that person. In all reality. Unless you have parts and tools at easy disposal like I. This is not a very poor mans hobby. Ive got 60 bucks in my battle wagon, but my pony i had almost 500 bucks in. Its all just in who you know and your experience.
I want to pick up another pony some day but we shall see my friends
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 11:13 am

We have to try and remain realistic here. While some of us can sink $500 into a machine (I can, but it's tight- got a family to feed and only one income) there are many that can't.

One thing that is cool about this hobby, is that you can at least get STARTED cheaply. You DON'T need a wicked arsenal of tools (even though it helps). I do most of my work with a welder, a grinder, and a drill. A cheap HF FCAW machine will get you further than some people will admit. Just because I FINALLY have a $1000 welder, doesn't mean the new kid needs one. What it MEANS, is that my $1000 welder will outperform his, out live his, and is a lot more versatile. For the most part, the cheapie HF welder will do nearly everything you need for a mower mod project.

The same is true for other tools. You get what you pay for, so my grinder will outlive a HF cheapie. BUT that HF cheapie will cut the same steel mine will.

AND-

I didn't always have good tools. And I didn't always have a buddy with good tools either! We all had to start somewhere.

So getting back to the meat of the matter- Little Johnny flipping burgers at McPukes for $8/hr or whatever your minimum wage is- needs to see that it IS feasible to buy and build a somewhat capable machine on a shoestring (fries) budget.

I WOULD like to see an emphasis on safety though. You can get killed pretty cheaply too. When modifying a machine to go much faster than stock, steering and brakes are overlooked WAAAY too often.

Neil- keep up the good work, and the contributions to the community.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 11:26 am

Yes i agree with you doc. Ive built fast machines with very litttle brakes and i wished they would have when it was too late.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 11:38 am

Yeah- nothing kills a good time faster than a trip to the ER. I think that some of the younger folks just don't have the experience (or wherewithal) to understand just how powerful, heavy, and potentially dangerous a machine can be.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 1:21 pm

the point is that there are plenty of advanced (and moderately advanced) build threads here for the guys with the tools and skills to follow... To be inclusive, we DO need some cheap as dirt, easy to do and satisfactorily SAFE builds for a beginner. I think Neil has chosen well with the MTD as a beginner level machine, and his attention to detail, such as the most BASIC tools needed, as well as parts, will lend itself well to a "How to" for the beginner. I find myself to be in the frightening position of AFREEING With Doc (Rock It and Roll It" Sprocket... Go for it Neil, I'll help as much I can.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 1:36 pm

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
I find myself to be in the frightening position of AFREEING With Doc (Rock It and Roll It" Sprocket...

You must get scared a lot then... Wink
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 3:39 pm

Well it IS a bit like finding oneself agreeing with the devil
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 3:41 pm

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
Well it IS a bit like finding oneself agreeing with the devil

Y'know... I been called a lot of things over the years, but THAT is a first. Thanks- I love you too brother. LOL
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 7:18 pm

Doc. I take it you saw my buddys craftsman planted into a tree on facebook lol we romp hard core my friend lol
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 7:26 pm

I try to avoid giving the new folks Ideas on how to be an off road jackass. There ARE sites out there devoted to dangerous thrill seekers... Personally I try to avoid that. I've found life is dangerous enough (at least MINE has been) and my hobbies just add to that. I prefer my machinery to be as safe as possible, so I can more easily calculate HOW dangerous I wanna be to myself... those kinda surprises RARELY end up well.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 7:27 pm

Maine Mud Mower wrote:
richie thomas wrote:
GenevaCustoms wrote:

Richhie has a good point.

Maybe the reality of a good mtd how to test modding experiment would be minimum tools including the cheapest of harbor freight welders.  and a 14.95 grinder with harbor freight cutoff wheels and wirewheel.  Something a kid could show there parents and say "See you can do it with a cheap welder" AKA can i have one for Christmas or my birthday.

my welder cost me 130 bucks, plus 20 for a helmet, and ive welded 1/2" steel with it, it takes patience, but it will do it
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 7:42 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
rolled about 25 times, (17 in a row into a holler), and was just ran hard.
Sounds like someone needs to go to driving school!  tongue 
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 8:13 pm

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
I try to avoid giving the new folks Ideas on how to be an off road jackass. There ARE sites out there devoted to dangerous thrill seekers... Personally I try to avoid that. I've found life is dangerous enough (at least MINE has been) and my hobbies just add to that. I prefer my machinery to be as safe as possible, so I can more easily calculate HOW dangerous I wanna be to myself... those kinda surprises RARELY end up well.

I just found myself in the highly unnerving position of agreeing with Lawren "knife-wielding-maniac" Wimberly.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 8:47 pm

I'd say "Touche' " but you'd probably take it wrong... How about we stop jacking Neil's thread? We can insult each other ANY time... Rotflamao

In all seriousness though... This site (admin can correct me of I'm wrong) seems to be more geared toward helping folks get started SAFELY, and sharing our own experiences to add to the collective knowledge. Neil's proposed build follows those goals admirably, with an eye toward making it within reach of the average youngster.

It's certainly possible to have fun, be safe, and be frugal at the same time... You just have to keep ALL of those goals in mind as you progress in the build. I'd like to see a series, that follows the progress from stock, using hand tools and cheap mods, then maybe next year revisit, and revise the tractor, building on what was learned in the first build.... ad infinitum
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 8:59 pm

I agree on all counts. Seeing as I take safety pretty seriously, I am trying to shift some focus towards it on this forum. Until you're a little older and more experienced, it doesn't seem so paramount. And it need not be a killjoy either. One can have a ton of fun, and still be long strides away from Darwinisms.
Back to top Go down
GenevaCustoms
GenevaCustoms

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 9:00 pm

I agree that a welder and grinder are needed for some of the better and more useful mods. But what I was trying to say you shouldn't be called the "cheap" kid because you simply want a mtd or have an mtd. And most mowers are those four wrenches unless it's jap mower. I just didn't take it to kindly red sorry for stating my opinion. People coming in shouldn't have to feel "under" the next guy because he doesn't have as much money as him.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 9:23 pm

no one is trying to put anyone down.
and yes, even on stuff that aint "jap" made, you need more thn those 4 wrenches.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 9:35 pm

Lets be realistic a socket and wrench set is more realistic + c clip pliers, needle noses, vise grips and some screw drivers. That will get you around.

To build a bad ass mower your gonna need alot more.
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2014, 12:35 am

mtds are perfectly fine if you got a general idea what your doing, mine has no belt slippage by adding more spring tension to the clutch itself and the spring belt tensioner. As for the fnrs ive never blew one up and ive did anywhere from stock speed to 25mph with them and anywhere from stock tires to 27" tires with 1" lugs. As for the front axles being weak I don't think they are in my opinion I can wheelie mine and slam it back to the ground, hit and run over trees with it also the only problem ive had so far is my steering gears stripping because im running 22" tires on the front with rims welded to rims. Heres my current mtd
Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 2013-09-16_08-10-29_881_zps5f77fab2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?   Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redneckcomputergeek ?MTD?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: