All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lawn mower trike!

Go down 
+4
Murray modder
redlinemotorsportts
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
untrusty huskee
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2014, 9:50 pm

I was in class the other day and my welding instructor gave me the inspiration to build a trike or something along those lines, when I present an idea to make a chipper/shredder. I got home and though about an old Baja Doodle Bug frame I had in my scrap pile, an engine, and a trans-axle I had sitting in the garage half apart. I ended up setting the parts on the frame to see the basic layout, and to see if I had to hack up the mini-bike frame to get everything to clear. This is my work assembling it in my garage, and the first day at my School.

Lawn mower trike! 10471010
This should more or less be what it looks like when the major components are mounted, save the engine be much higher up.
Lawn mower trike! 19204410

Lawn mower trike! 10153810

Lawn mower trike! 10409310
Had to have the engine facing backward to have room in the front for the original footpegs and so my leg wouldn't be on the carb
Lawn mower trike! 10802010
1/4 in. plate for the main brackets, all cut out with a Plasma Torch.
Lawn mower trike! 98895610

Lawn mower trike! 10169210
The little tabs on the end are so the pipes for the frame on the minibike can't rest on the aluminum housing of the transaxle. FCAW
Lawn mower trike! 10445510
The transaxle might move up alittle from this position, but not much.

Lawn mower trike! 10433110
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2014, 9:54 pm

Monday when I get back to School, I'll be cutting out triangular brackets to run from the orginal frame of the mini-bike, to the mounts I made, and gusseting the lower parts of the frame to the mounts. That shouldnt take too long so afterwards, I'll take some of the spare pulleys I have around and see if I can figure out the height of the engine and find a way to raise that up.
Back to top Go down
untrusty huskee
untrusty huskee

2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 10:17 am

i like how you are doing yours nice and compact love it, i also had built one but a little bit bigger
Lawn mower trike! Img_2011
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 3:41 pm

Check out mine in my sig. I used a Genuine Honda Clone motor and a centrifugal clutch to a live axle.

Drift Trike FTW!
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 6:51 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Check out mine in my sig. I used a Genuine Honda Clone motor and a centrifugal clutch to a live axle.

Drift Trike FTW!

How well did yours turn? The transaxle on it is locked, and it looked like you used a solid axle.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 7:30 pm

Murray modder wrote:
LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:

Drift Trike FTW!

How well did yours turn? The transaxle on it is locked, and it looked like you used a solid axle.

I did use a solid axle. Its is actually better than you'd think to turn. Ya either gotta lift the inside tire just a little bit to spin freely, of ya can drift.  Depends on where ya ride. I ride on grass and dirt mostly so it didn't matter much to me, it is just that light I can just jerk the bars sideways and I can flip it onto its side if I don't watch my stuff.  The worst part is the drifting with a bicycle seat. After that youtube video my rear area was sore for about two days... I think I may get one of THESE with Christmas money..
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 8:44 pm

Very cool. Just curious, what did you use to cut the plates out that good?
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2014, 11:58 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
I used a plasma torch, I've gotten great at using it so far, I think MOST of the cutting in this build won't be grounded, and it's gonna be either from a plasma cutter, or a Oxyfuel Torch.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2014, 1:18 am

Murray modder wrote:
I used a plasma torch, I've gotten great at using it so far, I think MOST of the cutting in this build won't be grounded, and it's gonna be either from a plasma cutter, or a Oxyfuel Torch.
Like plasma CNC? I'd give my right nut for one of them tables.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2014, 7:39 pm

Murray modder wrote:
Like plasma CNC? I'd give my right nut for one of them tables.
Nope, just your standard plasma cutter. We have a table practically dedicated to using it though, but I cut it all by hand. I just clamped a piece of 1/4 strapping material to it and used that as a straight edge. I'll grab a few pics of our table next time I have to cut something.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2014, 9:50 pm

Couldn't get done as much as I though I'd do today, hitting it hard tomorrow for sure.

Lawn mower trike! 110
This is our "cuttng table" under the plate are cones with squares on the bottom to hold them into place. (The squares fit into the table)
Lawn mower trike! 210
Trying to get the frame, and the transaxle even and level with one another.
Lawn mower trike! 310
Really nasty welds, the other side looked way better since it didnt keep burning through.
Lawn mower trike! 10857710
If you look at the back of the mounts, you can almost see the triangle gussets I used to strengthen the mounts, and I cut off the origianal engine engine plate.
Lawn mower trike! 14635410
This is about where the engine is going to sit, The mounting plate is from a Murray(?) and I haven't welded it on yet.

Tommorow I'll be welding the new engine mount and starting on the clutch. Got any questions so far?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2014, 1:30 pm

Neat. I guess you'll have to get the front wheel down a little more to level things up right? What back wheels were you going to use?
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2014, 6:37 pm

mr.modified wrote:
Neat. I guess you'll have to get the front wheel down a little more to level things up right? What back wheels were you going to use?
I have some laying around, but It depends on what I have laying around, I have a set on it, that you'll see in the next update. But those wheels go on the front of a mower, and have bushings (Steel I think).
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2014, 6:55 pm

'Nother work day!

Got quite a bit done, in terms of bein able to drive this thing soon or at least go through the gears on jackstands. LONG way from being anywhere hear finished.

Lawn mower trike! 510
Welded my engine plate level to the frame. I MIGHT have to reinforce this, as the ottom lip (close to the rear) is only tacked on.
Lawn mower trike! 610
I mads 1 1/4 long spacers for my engine to keep the pulleys lined up, these might have to be all joined together, and washers welded to the ends to keep the motor straight.
Lawn mower trike! 710
Nearing the Final veiw, take notice on the blue tank on the side, this may end up being my fuel tank. I kinda like the way it looks strapped to the side like that.
Lawn mower trike! 810
This is the rear view, I included this perspective for several reasons, the most obvious is because it looks kinda neat, second is this is where MORE THAN LIKELY my battery will be going as it BARELY fits in about the trans pulley across the frame. The third reason is so that you can see the Idle pulley between the engine and the transaxle that will end up becoming my clutch.

So far this build has come along pretty smoothly, I think tomorrow I'll be tackling the shift linkage, the clutch, and if I can, cracking the transaxle open to put the shaft back in.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2014, 3:44 pm

Your trike is looking pretty sweet.  
Its hard to believe, all that will fit in one of those small mini bike frames.

I built a motorized red wagon years back that used one of those small propane tanks for a gas tank but after filling it i saw it didn't really hold much gas.  I ended up swapping it out for an old fire extinguisher tank.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2014, 5:45 pm

Going to have a foot pedal operated clutch like an old indian motorcycle?
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2014, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, Really appreciate it.
As for the Clutch, I'm leaving that up to you guys!

Here is what I got done today. All clutch work, and trimming a few things.

Lawn mower trike! 910
This is about 5' long, and is going to serve as my main arm for my clutch.
Lawn mower trike! 1010
I dont know how well you can see it, but the end that actually bolts to the mounting plate was "polished" more, and the edges were rounded so wont catch on anything.
Lawn mower trike! 1110
Tight clearances, but it fits! (1) (2)
Lawn mower trike! 1210
Kinda hard to tell, but I actually drilled a hole into the end of this bolt to hold my spring.
Lawn mower trike! 1310
Spring mount welded to the frame.
Lawn mower trike! 1410
I had to cut a few parts off the mounting plate to clear the shift linkages, and the spring.
Lawn mower trike! 1610
Clutch all the way out,
Lawn mower trike! 1611

Lawn mower trike! 1810
This is going to be where my battery is going to sit more than likely.

(1)----The way I set up the bolt that holds on the clutch arm is Bolt head, Engine mount, washer, clutch arm, washer, nut, nut. Anybody think this will come undone? I welded the bolt to the engine mount, But it woun't be a problem to cut it loose.

(2)---I have two route I could take with this clutch, The easier being to run a piece of brake cable up to a lever on the handle bars, the other being running a (much) smaller length of brake cable to a pedal near the foot pegs. I think having it on the handle bars would be MUCH easier, but I'd have to have it on the right side, because I'd be shifting with my left hand. Plus, having that, the throttle, and both brakes, (praying for front and rear brakes) on the handlebars seems like alot. The foot pedal just seems like a hard route to take in general..
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2014, 4:24 pm

No pictures today, But I did rip into my transaxle.

I had a new input shaft for my axle but it didnt quite fit into the splines of the gear that it should (forgot the name of it) So I sanded (not grinded, grinding would put a new hardness on small areas.) the spines off and TIG welded the gear on.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2014, 1:17 pm

Not much progress wise since the last update, just got the new front wheel, rear wheels, fixed my exhaust, new engine...Well, I guess there has been alot of updates..
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2015, 6:23 pm

Lawn mower trike! 10947311

This is how its sitting as of right now.

I ended up getting a practically new 12.5 Briggs from a friend of mine since they somehow managed to grenade the transaxle. I ended up getting the entire rear engine rider actually.

The clutch linkage on it is all solid, and runs from the pedal on the right side, back to the actual clutch arm.

I tried driving it around with a mock up fuel tanks and this thing HAULS I almost got thrown off the back of the thing going from 2-3 gear. If you guys want to see anything specific, let me know and I'll grab pictures of it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2015, 8:38 pm

nice but i think it would do really good if you put some 18 inch scorpion tires on the back and like a 110 cc dirt bike front forks and tires
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2015, 11:00 pm

kawasaki220 wrote:
nice but i think it would do really good if you put some 18 inch scorpion tires on the back and like a 110 cc dirt bike front forks and tires  

Trying to keep this as low cost as humanly possible, and the fork would more or less take away from the fact this used to be a Baja Doodle bug.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2015, 9:33 pm

Lawn mower trike! 10958610

Well. That REALLY ticked me off.

GOt the thing home from my shop, and I go around my pond twince and BAM no gears. so I get smart, pop it into sixth, and drop the clutch....wait for it....WWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I look down and its DESTROYED. Any body know something to replace a Spicer from a craftsman? No idea the model or anything, and the sticker it too worn out to tell either.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2015, 9:37 pm

Lawn mower trike! Wheeli10

*Also* this was the last thing that was installed prior to leaving, and I Really dig the picture. WHEELIE BAR!
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2015, 11:25 pm

See if redlinemotorsports can get u one but that sucks lol u just got to hate it when u are haveing fun and blow a rear axle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lawn mower trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lawn mower trike!   Lawn mower trike! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lawn mower trike!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next