All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
98Murray
98Murray

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Empty
PostSubject: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2015, 5:51 am

I have this Montgomery Wards GT/11 made by Gilson and I have owned it for about a month. I traded off the questionable Briggs opposed twin in it (it was said to run but missing parts and quite an oil leak plus milky oil) and what I have in it now is a 12 HP Briggs I/C that needs to be built up. That opposed twin just barely fit too, it was really shoved in there and for this tractor I'd rather have a flathead single for its simplicity and fuel economy. I have wanted to build it up into a working tractor but I also want something that can go over rough terrain around my acreage. So I have been looking this thing over and you know it would make a good rough terrain working tractor. It has a very high ground clearance and a Peerless 2300 trans which is the main reason I even got this tractor. The drive setup is interesting. It has a vertical shaft engine with a belt running to a horizontal jackshaft. It has to twist from vertical pulley to horizontal pulley which is why it is very empty under the tractor. Then from the jackshaft it runs a pretty short belt to the trans pulley. There are 2 belts and 2 tension pulleys (one per belt). The trans is only held on with 4 bolts at the axle (2 per axle) which seems to be enough. What this means for me is that when I go to put bigger tires (25") if it doesn't clear the fender  I can put a small spacer there and lengthen the brake linkage and a longer belt. It wont be more than an 1" spacer if it even needs one, it had 23X8.50-12 tires and still has one along with a 10.50 spare and there is a good bit of clearance there so I may sneak by with 25X10-12 but if not I can easily "lift" it lol. The front tires are 15X6.00-6 from the factory (light duty GT) but with taller rear tires I will put 16X6.50-8 tires on the front. Heres a list of some things it will get.

25X10-12 ITP Mud Lite AT
16X6.50-8 Firestone 3 rib
Briggs flathead 12 HP I/C
Slightly pulley swapped
New paint, eventually lol
New seat
Rewired

Thats about it really. I need to do some math before I decide on pulley size, I will just be doing to engine pulley as it is easiest and this tractor never had one when I got it lol. One thing I like is the battery and gas tank are mounted under the hood as high as possible. Very simple frame that is a 2 piece but it may see some reinforcing. The whole idea behind this is something that can go off road and over rough ground but still work so it will also see a 3 point. Nothing fancy just a reworked Sears light duty 3 point. I am seriously considering swapping the front axle for something better, I have to wait and see how tricky that will be first. Rewire will be simple but still use a key switch and ammeter along with having working headlights and a rear work light. Repaint will be similar but with black wheels because even with scratches and all they don't look terrible unlike white wheels. Everything thats black will stay black, the hood may stay white, and everything thats orange/brown/copper colored will be blue. I have a neat idea for the grille too but I want to think on it more before sharing it. This is not a build right now, just throwing ideas out there for yall and I want to see what yall think about it. Heres photos from when I got it. It had a 3 point but it was very rigged up and just junk. I will try and get some new photos today.

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0071_zpsspjtophx

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0072_zpsmtb7gmht

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0076_zpshpc127ws

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0081_zpsamab8haz

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0083_zpsblhizani
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2015, 9:03 pm

Finally got some photos today. I put the bigger tires on the front and well thats about it. Have a bunch of projects going on at the same time lol.

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0920_zpsoicfvmop

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0917_zpsjysjzfu6

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 DSCN0918_zpskuxoxsom
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2015, 10:01 pm

I love the long drawn out look of these long gilson GTs. Pretty beefy rig too.

Great picture quality.
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2015, 10:33 pm

Thanks. I love the look all except for the round headlights. Nothing against them just not my taste. I'd like to redo the grille with 2 square lights in the same location and replace that round bar with a nice heavy wire mesh like what they use on the ramps for small utility trailers. Still a bit undecided on it.

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix AW120. I went with about the best point and shoot I could find for my use, not quite ready to step up to a DSLR yet.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2015, 1:18 pm

I like it, and I personally dig the round lights in the factory grill
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2015, 2:05 pm

Thanks. The more I look at it the more I am liking the round lights. I may not even mess with it really except put new lights in it since these don't work.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2015, 6:35 pm

Yea I also like the grill. Glass domes? Also are those spindles bigger than 3/4"?
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2015, 8:05 pm

No they are only 3/4" which kinda sucks. They are sealed glass lights. I worked on it some today, no photos though. I don't have any axles in my parts pile that would easily swap out and I don't seen anything better than what it has so the current axle stays but will have a better tie rod and steering arm in the future
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2015, 8:00 pm

That is a pretty interesting belt setup but it does the trick. By the looks of it you have a peerless 2300, great axle. I too prefer the flatties, half the stuff to go wrong and much better fuel economy.
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2015, 8:01 pm

I'm a retard, you already said you have a 2300. Sorry about that lol.
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2015, 9:33 pm

Lol thats ok. I am putting this one into storage along with the rest of my tractors. Hay season is starting here in Texas and I won't have much time to mess with these mowers. I am also trying to clean up the place so my mom sees that it is all nice and clean and will let me get more lol I know your probably thinking "Don't you have enough already" well yes, too many actually. But this June me and a buddy of mine will be going to Evansville Indiana for the Lawn & Garden Tractor Extravaganza show and we will be buying and bringing back tractors because all the nicer machines are up north. I already have 4 bought and will be getting them all when we go so I am hoping if I have no mowers for awhile my mom will be Okay with a big delivery of 4 lol also 3 out of the 4 run so that helps.
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2015, 10:42 pm

My dad tries to make me get rid of stuff the second I get it lol, hes always asking why I need more junk. If I stash it away in the woods he don't care too much but if it becomes a lawn ornament he gets pissed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11   What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Do Yall Think? Montgomery Wards/Gilson GT/11
Page 1 of 1