All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Not so main murray

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2016, 9:37 pm

Don't really know a ton about this mower. Traded a work horse or wheel horse or something like that for it. Thought it looked cool so I bit. When I got it, the engine didn't run, no gas tank (still a problem) needs some wiring done (haven't gotten to it yet), rear pulley was swapped and someone decided it was a good idea to add a pulley to the deck height adjuster bar, welded rear axle, cool tires, stack, messed up hitch thing and crappy paint. Probably some I'm forgetting. Welded new front pulley, needs new belt, brakes adjusted, engine figured out, gas tank solution, would like to know what year it is. Not sure what I'll end up doing about the engine yet. Seems to leak a lot and won't run right. Honestly it's on the back burner since I have tons of projects all going on at once. Here's some pictures. Any comments, recommendations, or really anything welcome and appreciated.
Not so main murray Image61
Not so main murray Image62
Not so main murray Image60
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2016, 10:01 pm

That engine in it is a 1983 25 cubic inch briggs flatty (I assume you knew it was a briggs flathead). It's identical to my briggs hh11 build. Assuming thats the original engine, Id say its an '83 or '84 model year. If it's not the original engine, someone else will have to chime in on where to find the numbers on the chassis.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2016, 10:37 pm

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
That engine in it is a 1983 25 cubic inch briggs flatty (I assume you knew it was a briggs flathead).  It's identical to my briggs hh11 build.  Assuming thats the original engine, Id say its an '83 or '84 model year. If it's not the original engine, someone else will have to chime in on where to find the numbers on the chassis.
being it was originally a 12/38 And the limited info I was told about it (the guy before the guy I got it from blew up the engine) it's been swapped on. I really would like a 12 hp flat head in good condition, but I haven't come across one since I got this thing.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2016, 10:39 pm

Right now I have an 18 twin and a 16.5 in the yard, with a messed up 12 ho Tecumseh but I really like 12 hp Briggs for my offroad mowers for some reason.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2016, 10:55 pm

Yeah, you really can't go wrong with a briggs single. Some prefer OHV and their power, some like flatheads because of their simplicity. Really, both are simple, reliable, and rugged. I have a 28 ci OHV briggs waiting to go in place of my 25 ci flathead when it blows (which should be a few years yonder...).
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2016, 11:07 pm

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Yeah, you really can't go wrong with a briggs single. Some prefer OHV and their power, some like flatheads because of their simplicity. Really, both are simple, reliable, and rugged. I have a 28 ci OHV briggs waiting to go in place of my 25 ci flathead when it blows (which should be a few years yonder...).
hey I'll take it off your hands and give you my 25 for spare parts;)
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2016, 8:02 am

SatiricalHen wrote:
CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:

Hahaha...nah, I think I'll hang onto it. What all is wrong with yours? Is it an 11,11.5, or 12 horse? If you can get it running, I think it would be worth keeping on there.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2016, 8:47 am

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
SatiricalHen wrote:
CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:

Hahaha...nah, I think I'll hang onto it. What all is wrong with yours? Is it an 11,11.5, or 12 horse? If you can get it running, I think it would be worth keeping on there.
I think it's an 11. Before putting doing anything else to the tractor I got it running and it would sit there and run till I killed it, but I put a new front pulley on it and belt on and tried taking it for a ride, would run about 100 feet and die then again and again then finally just pulled it back with my other mower.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2016, 9:43 am

Well if it was me, I'd run some SeaFoam through the fuel system. Put just a little in the gas. It pisses me off when I see all these tutorials on YouTube where they dump half the bottle down the carb. Just put some in the gas and put a new plug in it and let it sit and run for a while. If that doesn't fix it, I bet your coil is getting weak.
All of this is assuming, of course, that you have decent compression. If compression is bad, new rings and a hone may be in order.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2016, 11:40 am

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Well if it was me, I'd run some SeaFoam through the fuel system. Put just a little in the gas. It pisses me off when I see all these tutorials on YouTube where they dump half the bottle down the carb. Just put some in the gas and put a new plug in it and let it sit and run for a while. If that doesn't fix it, I bet your coil is getting weak.
All of this is assuming, of course, that you have decent compression. If compression is bad, new rings and a hone may be in order.
I'll probably try seafoam and plug, but it has good compression and if it didn't I wouldn't do rings and hone probably just find a 12 somewhere. I usually have a couple laying around but I'm out at the moment.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2016, 10:26 pm

Finally got the right gas tank for it, cleaned the carb again, ran it for a bit. All that's left to ride is a belt and maybe so tuning of the brakes so they work better, will eventually rewire it, but I don't even have a battery for it at the moment so not a priority.

Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
SatiricalHen

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2016, 3:49 pm

Got a muffler for it, but still haven't gotten the right size belt. I tried a 92 and it was way too long so I tried an 89 because they didn't have a 90 and that was too short so then tried a 91 because they still didn't have a 90 and the 91 is too long so I guess 90 is probably what I need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Not so main murray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not so main murray   Not so main murray Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not so main murray
Page 1 of 1