If you arent on Sprockets Garage, you probably havent seen this. After building up my DB30 I bought off mistermodified a few months before, I wanted a bigger machine so as soon as I found this on CL I hopped on it. Kinda pricy at $100 for a turd, but stuff like this is expensive in my area. Anyways, its an older style Baja MB200, completely stripped, flat tires, blown/ destroyed briggs engine on it, total wreck.
So first up was taking the old junk off. Engine got tossed as it was totally unusable. I was going to use the 205cc Briggs thats was on the DB30 when I got it, but wanting more power I picked up another Predator 212 on sale, and removed the governor as is tradition with all my horizontals.
I purchased a second TAV2 clone from ebay and put it on. I put one on the DB30 and had good success with it, so I figured this would benefit too. I got it mounted in and had to modify the backing plate a bit to clear the frame. I was able to re-use the tensioner from the old clutch and just welded to the frame be able to function as a variable tensioner. The seat also arrived, as well as the air filter adapter kit and adjustable jet.
Once the throttle junk came in, I was able to hook that up. I simply drilled a small hole in one of the cooling fins as a return cable as the throttle hooked up differently than the DB30 (had a shorter cable, good thing the Predators have multiple configurations).
Next was exhaust. Using my pipe bender and that standard heavy black pipe you get at Home Cheapot, I was able to rig it to come out the rear in a nice location. The bend is kind of close to the leg, but it gets wrapped later. Gotta have those smooth bends for minimal restrictions. You can also see the bars are flipped. Its pretty comfortable, and youre able to lean in to go faster.
So now that it is whole, it was tire time. I started with one, but both tires ended up as Carlisle Trail Wolfs, 19x6x8 or something. Good enough meatages for mud and not too knobby for street. Also made a slip on muffler to lower the obnoxiousness of the muffler when needed. And rearward pegs for better foot placement when leaning.
So then it was pretty much done. I took the front fender off, thought it looked better at the time as it was faded and cracked from what I assumed to be red to that ugly gray, and was all bent up. I also added some of that diamond tread rubber stuff Harbor Freight sells to the seat. You dont feel it sitting on it and it keeps your butt from sliding around on the large seat.
Few days later, the front tire came in, so I installed it. Also went ahead and straightened the fender out and gave it a fresh lick of flat black paint. It was finally "finished".
After these were taken, I ordered new wheel bearings and rear adjusters as it was tracking to the right. Couldnt really feel it on the street but once you were in a rut you were there till it ended. Also dropped half a link on the chain as it flipped the tensioner over. Gonna have to make a stop for it so it doesnt do that again. Really sucks when youre on a trail going downhill. Good thing the rear brake works great.
With Haspin coming up, I plan on giving it one more good makeover. Plans for a snorkel kit, cargo rack, as well as a full repaint and frame cleaning.