All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD Engine Pulley Swap

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mudgutz_Customs
Mudgutz_Customs

SWAP - MTD Engine Pulley Swap Empty
PostSubject: MTD Engine Pulley Swap   SWAP - MTD Engine Pulley Swap Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2017, 5:05 am

Hi everyone, I am looking at swapping the pulley engine pulley on my '96 MTD gold series. i want to get around 18-20mph out of it (or around 30kmh) and was looking at a 4.95" pulley i found online. Does anyone know if this will be big enough? and will i need to change anything else to achieve this? Thankyou to anyone who can answer this.
Back to top Go down
tater195
tater195

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MTD Engine Pulley Swap   SWAP - MTD Engine Pulley Swap Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2017, 2:12 pm

that pulley probably is only 2x the diameter of the stock pulley and will only get you to about 10mph. To get 5x stock speed, you need a 5x bigger pulley. The big problem is a 14" wont fit. You will have to find out how big will fit in the front, then change the TX to a smaller size to get the top speed you are looking for. Dont forget that the clutch, idler and belt will probably need to be changed too, so this wont be a $15 upgrade to go that fast... $100 is a more realistic budget for this.

Bpinion1981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mudgutz_Customs
Mudgutz_Customs

PostSubject: Re: MTD Engine Pulley Swap   SWAP - MTD Engine Pulley Swap Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2017, 9:52 pm

Thanks tater195, I knew this wouldnt be too cheap lol. Thanks for your response, and the input. I never really thought about it that way haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD Engine Pulley Swap   SWAP - MTD Engine Pulley Swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD Engine Pulley Swap
Page 1 of 1