All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

atv hub on lawn mower rear axle

Go down 
+10
Crazymudder
gearheadmike
canadianromper
Bigal
biscuit
dangeroustoys56
redneckcarrow
killer4051
Jamus
Dustin138
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Dustin138
Dustin138

rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Empty
PostSubject: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2011, 10:13 pm

how would atv hubs fit a lawn tractor rear axle. What would be better : to weld the hub on or atach it like the lawn mower tires are with the keways and stuff. If it is better to do it like the lawn mower tire were atached with c-clips how would that go on? Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2011, 10:20 pm

I wouldn't weld them on, but I did on mine, if that makes sense. I did it because I was lazy, and would probably do it again, but there's better ways of doing the same thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
killer4051

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2011, 12:47 pm

dont weld them i did that once and it did not work good. cuz when i killed the tractor i had to get rid of the tires cuz they wont come off. i would cut the center of the stock rim and drill holes and bolt them to that so u can take them off if u need to.
Back to top Go down
Dustin138
Dustin138

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2011, 6:29 pm

I am not welding the wheels/tires just the a 4 bolt hub. I saw Arild uses c-clips and other parts like standard lawn mower tires.
Back to top Go down
redneckcarrow
redneckcarrow

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2011, 7:30 pm

will the atv hubs fit over the center part of the lawnmower wheel (the part that slides on the axle) if it does weld the atv hub on the it then slide on axle just like lawnmower tire then bolt on atv wheel

thought about doing this to mine if i ever get a chance to build one
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2011, 7:37 am

I mounted a set of hubs on my 70 toro that came off a tractor with bolt on wheels - i wanted the bigger tires for better traction- it had the keyway and also the axles were drilled for a cotter key- so i drilled a hole in the hub, used a couple grade 8 bolts and bolted the hubs on ( thru the hub and axle- i kept a few extra bolts when i was in the rough stuff in case they broke on me tho. I planned on returning the tractor to stock someday and welding the hubs on the axles wasnt an option.

Heres a pic of it:

rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle 25976810

The rear wheels on it are the bolted on hubs- the front wheels were actually the original rear wheels...
Back to top Go down
biscuit
biscuit

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2011, 5:11 pm

Im not a.big fan of using.the c clips if you are going to. Be doing faster speeds. They will wear out quicker and you will lose a Wheel when you least expect it. Happened to me. Kinda wakes you up. I cut the heads off bolts and welded the threaded part to the end of the spindles and rear axle. Then put large washers and double nylock nuts.
Back to top Go down
Bigal
Bigal

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 6:49 pm

Hey nice old Toro I like it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2012, 7:03 pm

i would get a hub and weld it on and then you can just bolt on the rim. look at arild365 and fearlessfront they have good videos and all of the guys on here have good ideas aswell.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2012, 9:03 am

if you got key way axels then do what i did this only works for steel hubs tho. i took the atv hub on the back of it i welded on another hub. You can get them at TSC
there for the weld in pulleys. example my axle was 3/4 i got a 3/4 hub with a key way weled it to atv hub slide it on then set the set screw . i then put a washer and the c clip on.

rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Hub1
rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Hub2

just make sure its welded on stright lol
Back to top Go down
Crazymudder
Crazymudder

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 6:24 pm

Hey if your lookin for atv hubs i found a website that sells them if your willin to spend like $20 bucks here it is

http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=255
Back to top Go down
trout

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 11:35 pm

A broach cutter will make most applications possible easy to use too on wheels pulleys shafts whatever needs keyed I would recommend a higher quality kit .
Back to top Go down
RanchKing
RanchKing

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2012, 11:12 am

Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2012, 7:45 pm

hey guys im having the same ponder but im putting heavy tires on. like maybe MudLites or some 25" Outlaws but i read up on some hubs and they break really easy. i dont have alot of money to blow around experimenting so i need to know what wont snap or break under the pressure of 25"outlaws in thick mud?
Back to top Go down
Bigal
Bigal

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2012, 8:39 pm

Hey that web site that you posted was very good planing to get somefrom there what a very good web site thanks very helpful
Back to top Go down
Crazymudder
Crazymudder

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2012, 8:07 pm

Ya No problem any time

bom: drunken rendeer santa cherry albino sunny farao king queen jocolor geek flower elephant study scratch afro cyclops clown What a Face Neutral Arrow Idea Question Exclamation Wink Mad Shocked Basketball cheers What a Face What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 7:30 am

I have been reading this with interest We have a Westwood W11 which I have just purchased some hubs for having spent 4.5 hours with a puller pulling of one of the wheels to get at the brake.

rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle $(KGrHqJ,!hwFBdfwCisDBQkD4q6Jz!~~60_3

I am not aware of the PCD of these as get but am hoping they are the same PCD as ATV wheels I know I can cross drill them but am wondering if any one has the PCD of 20" wheels please?
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: atv hub on lawn mower rear axle   rear - atv hub on lawn mower rear axle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

atv hub on lawn mower rear axle
Page 1 of 1