All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

belt shrinkage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2011, 11:03 pm

alright so i took my racer to the field today and was drivin around and then the belt came off for whatever reason and we picked it up and it was really hot. were were pretty much done riding so we loaded it up and took it home. i didnt think i had a problem until i went to try and put the belt back on and it wouldnt fit, almost like it shrank.

is it possible for the belt to shrink? i am so baffaled by this
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2011, 11:06 pm

i dont think so ive only heard of belts expanding. not shrinkin. Question
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2011, 9:53 pm

im kinda sad my new phone doesnt take as good of ppictures as the old one. thats mainly what i used before because its so much easyer to get pictures onto my computer
belt shrinkage 08151113
i dropped out the tranny and moved it 3 inches forward. i should have just orderd a new belt but i am broke and all the bolt holes were already there to move it. i also wanted it done by friday cuz people are comin over and a new belt would not be here by then

still have no clue why that happend
Back to top Go down

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: : belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2011, 10:22 pm

recheck the routing. running on the wrong side on the clutch or idler will make a big difference
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 12:00 am

rat88 wrote:
recheck the routing. running on the wrong side on the clutch or idler will make a big difference

sorry.. what do you mean by that? like switching what side of the pulley its on?
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 12:02 am

i forgot i actually had footage off it comin off.

and for those who havent seen it drive heres a quick little go in 2nd gear
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 12:46 am

if thats 2nd gear how fast does it go in 6th?
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 12:53 am

good question... i wouldnt kno as i am scared of 5th and 6th. haha when i show off how fast it goes to people i am normally in 4th cuz thats he highest im willing to take it. when i get a job i think i will gear it down. mabye put a 6 inch in the front and leave the 3 in the back. i really have no reason to go any faster than 35. but when i bought the pulleys i was new to all this and didn't know exactly how fast i wanted it to actually go i just knew i wanted to go fast as possible. lol
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 2:32 am

what do you have on now? 8-4? how fast in 4th gear?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 3:26 am

Thats just what i found out with my nearly stock murray - thing was totally scarey to drive. Mine had a 6 speed, 18.5HP twin, golf kart tires , unlocked front axle, stock steering and stock seat position - felt like it was going to roll at any minute . I ran a 6" motor and 3" trans pulley.

I had the murray up to 4th gear, half throttle and it was a whole lot faster then the street's posted 35mph limit- i still had a whole lot more throttle and 2 more gears to go - and no brakes. I took it apart, because was way too unsafe stock.

I took a 91 MTD ( av pic <<) raised the front axle to the top of the chassis, bolted it in solid, lowered the seat to the chassis, used lower profile rear tires- handles TONS better - solid, stable, something i could really open up- its going thru an 'update' - custom spindles, straight axle, brakes , twin 18.5 motor - should be a serious screamer.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 3:15 pm

Now its 7.5 in the front and a 3 in the back. the front axle is solid and lowerd a few inches and the back i lowerd the body to the frame and the seat is lowerd to the body so your sitting bout 4-5 inches lower in the back
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2011, 5:30 pm

To go lower- try lower profile tires and custom spindles ( center of front wheel in the center of the front axle end) - before going to a jackshaft set up - stock steering will need to go .

With my golf kart rims on the MTD - im still aiming for around 4-5" ground clearance - im planning on two sets of wheels- one set of low profile slicks and a turf set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

belt shrinkage Empty
PostSubject: Re: belt shrinkage   belt shrinkage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

belt shrinkage
Page 1 of 1