All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
carwhisperer

Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style   Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2020, 12:12 am

I picked up this 2000 vintage Craftsman for free yesterday. It had a broken belt so I got one at the hardware store for $30. My gf’s boys drove it around for a few hits. It’s quite a smoker but runs pretty smooth so I ordered some rings and head gaskets. Meanwhile, I moved the axle forward and made the steering wheel go straight up. I’m putting the seat on the floorboard. I made the exhaust into a mini stack. This is mainly for the boys so I hope they like it. I’d really like to ditch the belt drive but then how can I have a clutch?
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style   Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2020, 1:02 am

well you could go the route redneckcomputergeek went with a power wheels build he did for his son, it was based off a murray chassis but still the same principles apply, turn the transaxle on end, run a shaft from the front to the transaxle input, mount a horizontal shaft engine and run a go cart centrifugal clutch with a chain going to a sprocket on the shaft, there's a little more to it than that but that's the basics of what he did, another method would be to convert to a chain drive straight axle and horizontal shaft engine with a go cart style torque converter, both use engine rpms to engage rather than a clutch
Back to top Go down

Craftsman 25hp Rat Rod T bucket style
Page 1 of 1