All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Mower Tear down but hit a wall

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sirmalcs

Mower Tear down but hit a wall Empty
PostSubject: Mower Tear down but hit a wall   Mower Tear down but hit a wall Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2021, 3:54 pm

Hey Guys, I'm new to this rebuild world and started with my dad's old '89 JD Hydro175, with kawasaki 15hp. I got the engine running again, after sitting some years, and starting tearing down. I pulled off everything non-essential, next step was to swap drive pulleys out. Then I found out Hydro's just can't handle the swap so trying to figure out am I effectively dead in the water?

I figure I could pull off the back axle/transmission from another tractor and put onto my frame or I could just start over with a different tractor all together. Not sure which would be more constructive at this point.

What would be some positives to look for in terms of chassis and transmission in some other Lawn tractors?
If I found an intact mower with bad motor would it be easier to switch my motor over vs transmission swap?

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mower Tear down but hit a wall   Mower Tear down but hit a wall Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2021, 5:05 pm

@Maine Mud Mower did a build a few years back with a hydro, and if memory serves right he moved the hydro forward and added a set of chains running back to a live axle (if you want the diff look around for a peerless 100) and thus the hydro is overdriving the axle. He has a YouTube series about it, search “hydro mudder”

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fastman
Fastman

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mower Tear down but hit a wall   Mower Tear down but hit a wall Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2021, 6:54 pm

Just throw a gear drive under it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mower Tear down but hit a wall   Mower Tear down but hit a wall Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mower Tear down but hit a wall
Page 1 of 1