All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Acquiring engines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2024, 11:22 am

I am in need of a new block for my pulley swapped mower. It had a Briggs model 31 Intek single. The piston is damaged (in my opinion) beyond repair and I need a new block. All of the components like the coil, the carb, and even the camshaft are good. I just need a new block/rotating assembly. A whole engine would be nice but a block is fine. Are there any types of stores or methods yall recommend for getting a block/engine? I'd like to avoid going to the junkyard and pulling an engine but that's seeming like my only option. I remember reading on this forum about someone who managed to get an engine block from some sort of store and transfer parts over, but there was no mention of what store or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2024, 4:39 pm

Sometimes new blocks are available from places likes Jacks Small engines or maybe even your local small engine repair place but by the time you've gone through all that you'd be around the same cost to overbore your engine and fit it with an appropriate sized piston/ring set.

I'm my opinion you're best option is to find a good running complete tractor that someone wants to be rid of for cheap then scrap out whatever you don't want, you could even potentially make your money back by selling parts from it. I see engines for sale in my local buy and sell but find that they're going for just as much if not more than complete tractors because those sellers know the engines worth.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

muddybasilisk likes this post

Back to top Go down
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2024, 11:57 pm

What websites work well for finding local things like that?
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2024, 9:08 am

Facebook marketplace and Craigslist would be a good start but I'm really not sure what other buy and sells you have down your way, hopefully someone else here has some idears?

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2024, 4:48 am

On Craigslist in Atlanta, right now before spring, you can buy running, mowing, lawn tractors for $250 or less. Most running 20 HP motors end up selling for $250 out of the mower. Now, motors 15 HP or under are practically given away. I bought two mowers that did not run at auction, after replacing carbs, idle belt adjusters, drive belts, etc. I ending up owning two running mowers for under $100 each, one with a 42" deck I still use after no one would buy the fine looking machine for $350.

The mower I am using now, was delivered for $125. I was buying it for $100, my trailer was loaded with junk, guy agreed to deliver for $25. I think it has a 14 HP B&S? All it really needed was brakes (completely frozen - replaced for free - just labor) and some real mud tires. 6 speed Peerless 206. It needed a gas cap, was not correctly venting, swapped on one from a scrap tractor.

If you shop around on CL, I am sure you can find some deals in the Farm or General section. I have even found LTs listed in the ATV and heavy equipment section. Which you might pick up really cheap if no one buys it because it is listed in the wrong section.

carrolstream appears to have some nice deals on complete engines. With new engines costing $500-$800, I would not pay more then maybe $125 for a new block. You might want to check Amazon or E-Bay for your block #.
Back to top Go down
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2024, 11:27 am

Man I wish I could buy mowers for that much here!. I'll look in some of those places you recommended. I found some beat up non running old mowers on marketplace for around 250. Ill message them and ask them if I can pull the motor for around 80 or something.
Back to top Go down
ranch king pro 08
ranch king pro 08

2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2024, 1:07 pm

@muddybasilisk One of my sister's lives up there and all I know of is Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, And estate sales, if you can find some mom and pop mower shops you can normally get some okay engine blocks from there for pretty cheap, Also look for somebody that does small engine repair around your area and ask them if they have any spare engine blocks that's how I met my mower dealer wink

*edit* I forgot ebay always check ebay LOL

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2024, 1:21 pm

A tip when searching CL in the Farm and General sections, I use these search term to eliminate the SPAM and to avoid listings in Florida.

riding -containers -buildings -florida -tallahassee -"orange park"
tractor* -containers -buildings -florida -tallahassee -"orange park"

mower* -self -containers -buildings -florida -tallahassee -"orange park"
engine* -containers -buildings -florida -tallahassee -"orange park"
motor* -containers -buildings -florida -tallahassee -"orange park"

Set the dollar limit low, to $300 or $500 otherwise CL will pull up all the higher amounts first and skip over lower amounts that might be available slightly outside your local area. If you sort by dollar amount or use hide duplicates, you tend to lose listings that would otherwise show up.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Acquiring engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acquiring engines   Acquiring engines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acquiring engines
Page 1 of 1