All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Cheap go kart project

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

project - Cheap go kart project Empty
PostSubject: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 10:55 am

After I get out of work I am going to pick up this go kart tonight about 45 mins away. Its only $15.00 so I cant loose. A little off topic project I will be working on. Im not sure if I want to put some golf cart tires on it and a solid rear axle or what. Im not sure how big it is maybe I will just throw on whatever its needs and drive her hard. The people that have it now said it just needs a motor, seat, and throttle. It comes with the clutch already. It probably had a 5hp motor stock but Im trying to find a 6-10 horsepower motor for it. Twisted Evil

project - Cheap go kart project Pbucket
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 11:51 am

dude if it works you'll have yourself a mighty machine!
i say you go green and add a spoiler and some fenders(maybe a roll-cage) and obviously an AWESOME tyres, maybe slicks? or some mower tyres raise it up then make it slow and go crawling, if you could you could do something like this and make some springs it would be awesome, god I really want one now!
project - Cheap go kart project Dsc02217

ok OK its a very small copy but you get the idea cyclops !!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 12:04 pm

I have to wait untill I see it but I have been thinking and I might just leave the tires. I will probably finish the cage. It looks like some one hacked it off. I want it to go fast and be lowish. The only reason I would put a solid axle on the back is so I could wip donuts. If I am driving it on tar it would be hard to turn with a solid axle so maybe I will just make it so I can crank around on flat spots of tar or dirt. At some point I want to make a bigger go kart with a 340 snowmobile engine I have sitting out back. That thing would rip. I came across this (one of those impulse buys) and was thinking I could get a motor and wip it out real quick. Ill let you no how she looks tonight after I pick it up if I get a chance to get online.

You should build one. It should be a pretty easy build. There isnt much to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 2:41 pm

i am going to stick to tractors and the such as i havent finished my current project, planning on a 4 wheeled one, got a design that would work, just i cant weld and my idea need strong welds
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 3:59 pm

Dont racing karts have straight axles? Because theyre so wide compared to their length, the straight axle doesnt do it much harm. This should be cool though!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 8:44 pm

Got er home. It does have a solid rear axle and dual drum brakes. Suprised me. A few things need to be re-welded and adjusted. The guy did have the motor. His son and him took every single piece of it apart and then never put it back together. They said it wasnt running right. Ripped most of the ducttape off and pipe insulation. I already have a seat. Just need to mount the motor to make sure it all clears. Hellova deal. If I get a motor I should have it driving within a week.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 4:34 pm

Damn, for $15 you probably spent more in gas gettin the thing! I bet I could put that motor back together, they're pretty simple. I like it, now im going to have to make one!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 4:56 pm

Ive thought of making a go kart - but - i kept eyeballing my tiny wizard tractor and decided to make a kart out of that.

Im putting some 6" rims on it- id like to find some go kart slicks- but probably use turf tires- straight rear axle, drum brake, 5HP honda motor ( for now till i get my 20HP onan going or my 10HP teccy) , go kart clutch and chain drive ( yep will require cutting some metal ) . Gonna also be low, with direct steer .

I have like 80% of the parts to start working on it- just no damn time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 9:28 pm

"time" something you cant buy but we all wish we had more of it. Once I win the lottery I will have tons of time........ (dreaming)

Progress today.

Took the slop out of the gas pedal.
Welded a seat on.
Welded some broken brackets.
Ordered some new piston rings. (be here thurs.)
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 9:50 pm

Yeah - unfortunately ill have less when my new job starts ( hopefully in july )- at my current job things are slowing, but im working on getting things ready for our up comming road trip up north for two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap go kart project   project - Cheap go kart project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap go kart project
Page 1 of 1