All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

ATV/Go kart project

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

ATV/Go kart project  Empty
PostSubject: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:01 pm

As I'm also modding my craftsman, I figured I would work on this at the same time. As some of y'all know, I've been using parts for my craftsman that came from a Honda 250 ATV. When I got my ATV wheels, The guy had a Honda 250 frame that he was selling for $50 bucks. I snatched it up of course. Knowing that my brother was looking to build a go kart, I figured this would be the ticket. So my brother paid me $50 bucks for the frame to use for his go kart. Seeing he can't weld, I offered to help him and it now is our project. Our goal is to use the frame, along with the four point suspension, to make a go kart. My thought was to combine the ATV frame with a custom built go kart frame, making sort of a half ATV, half go kart. It will have all wheel suspension,seating for two, high performance direct steering and front suspension, hopefully a big engine. My brothers funds are very limited, so it will take some time before it's finished.
ATV/Go kart project  DSC_0335-1
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:15 pm

You should cut the frame in half then add a go kart frame kinda like this (see link below) but you will need to make your frame wider for two people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc5-oo5Rx7Y
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm

It's not going to be quite like that. The rider will sit on the ATV frame like it was one, but it will have a go kart frame under the ATV frame. Here is a sketch of what it will sorta look like. You can see the ATV frame integrated into the go kart frame. The ATV frame will serve as the seat. The person will sit on it like you would on an ATV. The second person sits behind the driver.
ATV/Go kart project  Gokart
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:16 pm

a kid in my metal shop cut off the front then used the back for the engine and suspension then just build the tubing around the engine and welded the front suspension to the front but he had a much bigger atv he had a raptor 660 frame and engine so his was normal size. That doesnt look like it would be wide enough.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 pm

It will be as wide as a ATV. All I have have is the frame. No running gear except for the front. It should be fine. Also the roll cage will not look like that. It will also need less metal this way. It's a little hard to explain. This Sunday, I'll post pics of the frame all finished. That's my goal.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Cool - my nephew gave me one of those lil electric ATV's - im planning on modding to chassis to fit one of my horizontal shaft gas motors , i was gonna use lawntractor wheels, but i got a bunch of atv wheels also from him.

Like everything else, its on the back burner ....
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 pm

ok sweet cant wait to see how u do this
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Got an update. Worked on the go kart yesterday. Got the main part of the frame welded up. It's almost looking like an ATV. Still have to add some more parts to the frame. It don't look like I did much, but it's been a while since I did any major welding. Welding pipe isn't exactly easy. Got an older 8 horse briggs to put on. Should work great. Note the giant rear shocks I'm going to put on. Laughing
PS How ya like my trailer? Smile Butch is being put to good use.(Yes I named my tractor Butch)
ATV/Go kart project  DSC_0695

ATV/Go kart project  DSC_0699
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ATV/Go kart project    ATV/Go kart project  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ATV/Go kart project
Page 1 of 1