All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS

Go down 
+14
truckin42
thatrandomguy
Chopperhed
matthew sidor
MSteele323
CraftsmanKid1
CityRedneck
W1ldyOvvnZ
DICE464
F150F250F350
AcreFarm
Jordan
dangeroustoys56
muddstir
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2012, 7:02 pm

Hey, gotta be better then a factory setup - most tractors are just a steel pan and everythings bolted to it . Only thing ive seen close is the factory murray C channel frame under my late 90's machines.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2012, 9:24 pm

HELP I need some opinions- ran into a snag with the look of the tractor - read on

Got a good bit of work done to the Allis. I got the front end and rear end all mounted into place squared up and completely welded in to place. Then it was on to the front shock mounts, I had to put the tractor together to place the front shock mounts so I could get the right ride height/ look/ stance that I wanted. Then I had to sit the motor in the frame to make sure when I was placing the shock mounts that they don't end up in the way of the motor. Now here is my problem the more I looked at the Allis with the bigger front tires on it (the 24in ones), it looked like something was wrong either the front tires were to big compared to the back or the center of the front tires needed to be shifted forward to lengthen the wheel base ( where the center of the front wheels are right now is where the tractor front end was.) Then for the hell of it I put on some other tires I had laying around and to me it looked better but still not right (these tires were 20 in ones) So my question really is what looks better (A)- the 24 in tires- the first two pics OR (B)- the 20 in tires - the next two pics OR (C)- Cut off the front frame and move it out some-let me know how far and what tire size you like with this option. If you have any other ideals let me know. The last pic I thought it look neat with the hood open to show the motor and sorry the pics are kinda crappy I put the tractor together in my basement not thinking that I would have to take pics of it.
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 CopyofDSCF0175[/img]
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 CopyofDSCF0174[/img]
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 CopyofDSCF0168[/img][img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 CopyofDSCF0167[/img]
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 CopyofDSCF0177[/img]
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2012, 8:21 pm

I say top two pics - the tires are similarly sized - if you went with the second set - id get a smaller rear tire in that case.

Keep in mind the machine will settle with all the stuff on it some - could look into different spring rates for the coil overs as well.

Everything you add here out will add weight .... id finish it first, then tweek it.
Back to top Go down
F150F250F350
F150F250F350

PostSubject: ha ha ha You read my mind!!!   Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2012, 4:32 pm

You are like in my head or something I bought that lawn mower of mine to do all but the same thing.
I like the first tires better the 24''.
Are both your axels going to turn? That is what I was planing on.
I will find out what year mine is it is in the 80s but I got it from a dealer less than a year ago so I will find out I payed $60 for mine engine and all.
My plan was to make a frame not as good as yours I dont have that kind of tools have A arms all around with frount and rear turn with locked axel in the rear and I might try locked in the frount to. I am doing 20'' ag tires in the frount and I don't know the size yet but 20'' to 25'' ags in the back.
I have a stock 18 oposed twin that is going on mine. What was that on yours. and was that Atv parts for the suspintion.
You are welcome to PM me any time not on here a lot though.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2012, 7:28 am

Got some time over the weekend to mess around with the Allis, I decided to run with the 24in tires up front. So all I did was mess around with the position of the hood and height of the body till it was good lookin in my book. Then I figured out the front shock mounts. I did take some new pics but I now can't find my card reader thing so I'll have to go to wal-mart tonight to get a new one.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2012, 10:45 pm

Found it!! Here is a couple of pics of how it should sit now
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Newone1[/img]
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Newone2[/img]
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2012, 8:42 am

that is fricken amazing is it going to be shaft or chain drive
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2012, 12:43 pm

DICE464 wrote:
that is fricken amazing is it going to be shaft or chain drive
Thanks Right now its going to be chain drive but I am now thinking of finding a different motor to use and buying some atv diff's for it, then switching over to a shaft drive. If I find some thing on craigslist for a good price I'll end up switching over.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2012, 3:27 pm

Sweet how big of. Motor are you putting in it and what is it from
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2012, 9:52 pm

DICE464 wrote:
Sweet how big of. Motor are you putting in it and what is it from
It's an old 440cc Polaris snowmobile motor that I had laying around. But this might change, when I frist started this thing I wanted it to be an "automatic" and becouse this motor was laying around I'd decided to use it here. Then after some thinking I'm kinda second guessing myself. Here is why (1) no reverse (2) I never got to ride this snowmobile so I don't truly know if the motor will be strong enough to spin four tires (3)air cooled (4) to run this motor I would run a chain setup and with this setup I'd locked the front end becouse a one wheel peel sucks in my book and I can't figure out how to make a limited slip front end out of 1in axles and sprokets. Then if a front end is locked it dosen't turn/steer real good and dosent handle at all at high speeds on hard packed terrain. This bothers me becouse I'd like to see 60mph. I do own a 2007 kaw vulcan 900 motorcycle and its got the power I'm looking for so now I am thinking about buying a newer used motorcycle for my power plant, it will cover most of the stuff that bothers me except #1 and "automatic". If I run an motorcycle motor I'd buy a pair of atv diff's so I then could have 2x4 or 4x4 or 4x4 with diff lock, and it would become a shaft setup. The size of motorcycle I'm looking for is somewhere between 800cc and 1500cc but not sure if i want a cruiser or an sportbike, a cruiser is cheeper and offer a 1500cc but a sportbike has less cc but a lot more rpms and takes alot less of a time to get there. But in the end it all will rest on price/year and the size of the motor, so i can stuff it in my frame with very little hacking. Unless I just keep with the motor I got already.
If anybody has advice on old snowmobile motors and thinks mine will work let me know or Just let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2012, 8:39 am

id say you have the power and also if you want reverse keep an eyue out for an old polaris trailboss 250 transmission you can hook them up to just about any snowmobile motor and you will have reverse
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2012, 9:56 pm

I think the 440cc Motor would work but that Reverse Thing is big in my head because that thing wouldn't be light...
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2012, 10:20 pm

Actually the tranny is pretty light you just run a regular snowmobile belt to it .
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2012, 10:29 pm

DICE464 wrote:
Actually the tranny is pretty light you just run a regular snowmobile belt to it .
Would the Trailboss trans hold upto the 440cc engine? Looking online they say anywhere from 90-110hp(I think thats liquid cooled sleds).
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2012, 5:47 am

DICE464 wrote:
id say you have the power and also if you want reverse keep an eyue out for an old polaris trailboss 250 transmission you can hook them up to just about any snowmobile motor and you will have reverse
I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those. If I find a cheap Polaris atv I'll and run that setup I then think I would buy a newer Polaris snowmobile thats around 600cc or bigger, has to be a twin cyclinder then I would gain more power, liquid cooled, and more performance parts.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2012, 8:27 am

i dont know how that would handle a 600 but i know guys use them on 440 all the time
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2012, 9:35 pm

I owned a 2002 Polaris xcsp 600(im selling it but I think its a little far and a little pricey from where you are) and they have tonnes of power. I just thought of something, if you had gotten a newer Polaris with electric Reverse(I know my fathers old 2004 Polaris 600 Edge Touring has electric reverse but my sled came from the factory with a gear box style) you wouldn't need a gear box because it spins the engine in reverse but where I live a 600 Polaris Edge Motor goes anywhere from $1000-$1500each. Then you would need to setup a rad, fan etc.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2012, 10:58 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
I owned a 2002 Polaris xcsp 600(im selling it but I think its a little far and a little pricey from where you are) and they have tonnes of power. I just thought of something, if you had gotten a newer Polaris with electric Reverse(I know my fathers old 2004 Polaris 600 Edge Touring has electric reverse but my sled came from the factory with a gear box style) you wouldn't need a gear box because it spins the engine in reverse but where I live a 600 Polaris Edge Motor goes anywhere from $1000-$1500each. Then you would need to setup a rad, fan etc.
Are those twins or triples, I'd be buying a complete one so I would have everything needed to run it. I'm still shopping around right now not sure if i want a snowmobile or a motorcycle, it all depends on the overall size of motor and what benafits come with the motor. Price range is about 1500 might spend alittle more if its really worth it/ and if resell is good on the stuff I don't use.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2012, 1:39 pm

wow im sooo jealous of your tractor lol Looks really good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2012, 9:51 am

muddstir wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
Are those twins or triples, I'd be buying a complete one so I would have everything needed to run it. I'm still shopping around right now not sure if i want a snowmobile or a motorcycle, it all depends on the overall size of motor and what benafits come with the motor. Price range is about 1500 might spend alittle more if its really worth it/ and if resell is good on the stuff I don't use.
The 2002 and 2004 600's are twins, I wouldn't buy a triple snowmobile motor, alot of the times they blow up. The resale of the parts are pretty good, A hood goes anywhere from $100-$400 depending on the shape.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2012, 6:21 pm

Been busy the last couple of months and I'm now starting to get some free time to work on the Allis.  The last thing that I was working on was the front shock setup.  I've built two designs of shock mounts this week and both have not been able to work due to the shape of the motor, now that I'm on my third design it all looks good I just might be able to have it sittin on all four tires soon.  Then its steering, drive line, rebuild motor, body work, and then test.  After test it gets improved where it needs then powered coated and painted.  
Once I get the Allis a roller I'll be starting on a craftsman tractor so lets see if I can do two at a time.   Here is a pic of the shocks mounted on the a-arms all I need to do is level everything at ride height and weld in the top mounts.Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Dscf0310

Last edited by muddstir on January 29th 2018, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2012, 7:08 pm

Looks cool, I would of gotten annoyed having to re-do the shock mounts(atleast it isn't hard). How much did you pay for the Motor(or did you already have it?) and what motor is it, are you planning on keeping the Clutches?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanKid1
CraftsmanKid1

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2012, 9:56 am

If u could find a cheap Kawasaki Bruteforce motor those are worth the money u pay for it. they are vtwin liquid cooled have reverse high and low gears and neutral they go about 65 stock but theres a 750 bruteforce and a 650 and they run about the same besides speed and the transmissions are light. if u could find a wrecked one u could used alot of parts off of it like the cv joints and it has a diff lock and in and out 4wd ive had a couple of these 4wheelers and they run great and they have a really nice rumble
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 10:55 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
Looks cool, I would of gotten annoyed having to re-do the shock mounts(atleast it isn't hard). How much did you pay for the Motor(or did you already have it?) and what motor is it, are you planning on keeping the Clutches?
It was a little frustrating with the shock mounts, spend a week taking eight pcs of metal welding them together and grinding them smooth just to toss them in the scrap pile. Then staring at it for three days designing new mounts, run to TSC get some new parts, cut, weld, and grind just so they can end up in the pile next to the first ones. But the third design pulled through, the angles are not how they should be but I got them on now I just need to finish welding them up. Pics will be posted soon, whenever I get a chance.

The motor is and old Polaris 440cc snowmobile motor, about 7 years ago I bought two old polaris snowmobiles, a 340 and a 440, and and old dirt bike (it was a pile) for $75. I scraped everything but the 440 motor and the bits and pcs that go with it. And yes I plan on keeping the clutches.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 11:07 pm

CraftsmanKid1 wrote:
If u could find a cheap Kawasaki Bruteforce motor those are worth the money u pay for it. they are vtwin liquid cooled have reverse high and low gears and neutral they go about 65 stock but theres a 750 bruteforce and a 650 and they run about the same besides speed and the transmissions are light. if u could find a wrecked one u could used alot of parts off of it like the cv joints and it has a diff lock and in and out 4wd ive had a couple of these 4wheelers and they run great and they have a really nice rumble
I was looking for an arctic cat (thats the brand I like) but around here you cant find wrecked ones or even cheep ones at that. So I stared to buy pc by pc off ebay and now I got a small fortune tied up in it. I consider this one my test. If it works I plan on building a bigger one made from all one four wheeler so everything works like it should.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 11:18 pm

muddstir wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
It was a little frustrating with the shock mounts, spend a week taking eight pcs of metal welding them together and grinding them smooth just to toss them in the scrap pile. Then staring at it for three days designing new mounts, run to TSC get some new parts, cut, weld, and grind just so they can end up in the pile next to the first ones. But the third design pulled through, the angles are not how they should be but I got them on now I just need to finish welding them up. Pics will be posted soon, whenever I get a chance.

The motor is and old Polaris 440cc snowmobile motor, about 7 years ago I bought two old polaris snowmobiles, a 340 and a 440, and and old dirt bike (it was a pile) for $75. I scraped everything but the 440 motor and the bits and pcs that go with it. And yes I plan on keeping the clutches.

Seems like a smokin' deal for the Sleds, they are probably really old but i guess you got most of the money back in scrap. It will look like a true beast when your finished.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next