All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.

Go down 
+6
CraftsMAN
dked41
gilsonrumbler
gearheadmike
Jamus
11hpcrafstman
10 posters
AuthorMessage
11hpcrafstman
11hpcrafstman

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Empty
PostSubject: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2012, 6:29 pm

i'm thinking about building a tow truck type of mechanism for my tractor to tow around parts tractors, quads, etc.. any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2012, 7:24 pm

Something like this maybe? I've also seen similar done with an atv winch.

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Photo_10
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2012, 11:56 pm

^ haha nice strech tractor lol

i too was thinking of building a tow tractor for emergency romp break downs lol
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 1:42 am

problem with that idea is a stock length tractor will just lift the front wheels up trying to lift another mower up.. I usually just run a chain and pull the tractor to where i need it while somebody else steers on the tractor. if The transmission is gernaded in the broken down tractor i just drag them out
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 9:59 am

You could also build a 2-wheeled dolly to pull behind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 11:12 am

I have used the sleeve hitch on my Case 444 to pick and move tractors, I don't lift the whole tractor, just hook one end or the other and lift the wheels off the ground enough to move it. I don't think the weight is any more than a tiller attachment. Front weights will help if the pulling tractor front gets light on the steer axle. the wrecker boom idea is not the best way to go, think more along the idea of the wheel lift style to keep the center of gravity low.
Not gospel just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 11:44 am

The idea has already been thought of and developed by myself.. Check out these videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kufMV2HHwT4
There are more on my channel..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 11:45 am

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
11hpcrafstman
11hpcrafstman

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 9:39 pm

ive been just towing tractors with a chain and its kind of a hassle because the wheels always turn and i usually dont have any one to help me. i might build a sleeve hitch
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 9:45 pm

Have you thought of putting a hand winch on the back of the tractor and putting a piece of 2x2 oe 3x3 square tubing on and angle with some pulleys for the winch cable to roll on and just use that. It would be like the sleeve hitch but it wouldn't be adjustable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/

PostSubject: tow truck tractor   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 10:03 pm

I have been kicking around the idea of making a car dolly type trailer with a winch, but have not really needed one because the 195 has a 3 point on it and I built a set of forks that will lift most of the throw away mowers. before that I used smaller version of the dune buggy style T bone trailer
Back to top Go down
11hpcrafstman
11hpcrafstman

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 10:09 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ, i never really thought of doing somthing like that.... it sounds alot cheaper so ill look into it
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2012, 8:58 pm

11hpcrafstman wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ, i never really thought of doing something like that.... it sounds alot cheaper so ill look into it
I got the idea from a Skidder thats around my house with a similar design but two peices of tubing and in a V shape with gussets all around.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2012, 5:56 pm

this is what i built
boom on the back weight on the front
How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. IMG_0082
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2012, 11:28 pm

Jordan wrote:
this is what i built
boom on the back weight on the front
How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. IMG_0082

Thats pretty similar to what I was talking about but mine was even more basic:P
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2012, 11:21 am

Yesterday i towed my merry a 1/2 mile back to the farm with nothing more than a small log chain and my crappy grass cutter.

Wink ...No problem... Wink
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2012, 2:55 pm

When my dad grenaded his MTD tractor mowing down in the field a few years ago - i used a ratchet strap to hold the tractor front wheels off the ground and strapped securely to my craftsman , hauled it right up to the shed easily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.
Page 1 of 1