All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerHow do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
11hpcrafstman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
11hpcrafstman

Forum Rep : 0

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Empty
PostSubject: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 6:29 pm

i'm thinking about building a tow truck type of mechanism for my tractor to tow around parts tractors, quads, etc.. any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Veteran
Veteran
Jamus

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Something like this maybe? I've also seen similar done with an atv winch.

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Photo_10
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
gearheadmike
Skilled
Skilled
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 11:56 pm

^ haha nice strech tractor lol

i too was thinking of building a tow tractor for emergency romp break downs lol
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 1:42 am

problem with that idea is a stock length tractor will just lift the front wheels up trying to lift another mower up.. I usually just run a chain and pull the tractor to where i need it while somebody else steers on the tractor. if The transmission is gernaded in the broken down tractor i just drag them out
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Veteran
Veteran
Jamus

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:59 am

You could also build a 2-wheeled dolly to pull behind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dked41
Apprentice
Apprentice
dked41

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:12 am

I have used the sleeve hitch on my Case 444 to pick and move tractors, I don't lift the whole tractor, just hook one end or the other and lift the wheels off the ground enough to move it. I don't think the weight is any more than a tiller attachment. Front weights will help if the pulling tractor front gets light on the steer axle. the wrecker boom idea is not the best way to go, think more along the idea of the wheel lift style to keep the center of gravity low.
Not gospel just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:44 am

The idea has already been thought of and developed by myself.. Check out these videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kufMV2HHwT4
There are more on my channel..
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:45 am

Back to top Go down
11hpcrafstman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
11hpcrafstman

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:39 pm

ive been just towing tractors with a chain and its kind of a hassle because the wheels always turn and i usually dont have any one to help me. i might build a sleeve hitch
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Have you thought of putting a hand winch on the back of the tractor and putting a piece of 2x2 oe 3x3 square tubing on and angle with some pulleys for the winch cable to roll on and just use that. It would be like the sleeve hitch but it wouldn't be adjustable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/

PostSubject: tow truck tractor   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:03 pm

I have been kicking around the idea of making a car dolly type trailer with a winch, but have not really needed one because the 195 has a 3 point on it and I built a set of forks that will lift most of the throw away mowers. before that I used smaller version of the dune buggy style T bone trailer
Back to top Go down
11hpcrafstman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
11hpcrafstman

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:09 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ, i never really thought of doing somthing like that.... it sounds alot cheaper so ill look into it
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:58 pm

@11hpcrafstman wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ, i never really thought of doing something like that.... it sounds alot cheaper so ill look into it
I got the idea from a Skidder thats around my house with a similar design but two peices of tubing and in a V shape with gussets all around.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Apprentice
Apprentice
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:56 pm

this is what i built
boom on the back weight on the front
How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. IMG_0082
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 11:28 pm

@Jordan wrote:
this is what i built
boom on the back weight on the front
How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. IMG_0082

Thats pretty similar to what I was talking about but mine was even more basic:P
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hillbilly Homer

Forum Rep : 2
PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 11:21 am

Yesterday i towed my merry a 1/2 mile back to the farm with nothing more than a small log chain and my crappy grass cutter.

Wink ...No problem... Wink
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master
dangeroustoys56

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm

When my dad grenaded his MTD tractor mowing down in the field a few years ago - i used a ratchet strap to hold the tractor front wheels off the ground and strapped securely to my craftsman , hauled it right up to the shed easily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.   How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I make a tow truck tractor? Need ideas.
Page 1 of 1