All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What is a "wide body" tractor?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ironart

What is a "wide body" tractor? Empty
PostSubject: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2012, 11:58 pm

What is a "wide body" tractor ?

Also, what works better for off-road; gearshift or hydrostatic ? Can either be used fairly efficiently ?
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2012, 12:16 am

The only "widebody" I know of is a name by murray, I have a couple. As for transaxles, stick with a standard(gearshift) since they hydros don't like being turned faster than stock.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
ironart

PostSubject: Re: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2012, 6:18 am

Thanks for the prompt reply..and the valuable information, it will keep me from making a mistake.
Is the wide body an actual model, or is it actually something concerning a wider stance (axle width) of the tractor.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2012, 6:40 pm

As far as I know it's just a model, or rather what murray called all their light tractors(lawn tractors - LT) around that time. I have a 98 widebody automatic and a 2001 widebody lt 5-speed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com

PostSubject: Newbie with a newbie question   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2012, 9:57 pm

The wide body came about when they started putting in the briggs twin and making the body fit it. before that they notched the hood or flared it out to fit the motor. other manufacturers did they same thing, they just didnt brag about it
Back to top Go down
ironart

PostSubject: Re: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2012, 10:25 pm

That clarifies it..thanks guys..
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2012, 2:12 am

I have a 2000 murray Widebody LT and compared to the two former Murrays i owned it is built far better that their predecessors. They were almost built for off-roading in mind. and Hydro trannys are best suited for lawn mowing tractors.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2012, 6:34 am

Widebody's also have a full C channel frame under them - older murrays are just a stamped pan chassis - i had planned to mod my old 99 for speed - ended up moving and scrapped it.

I ended up getting 3 other widebody tractors down here , along with a couple pan chassis ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is a "wide body" tractor?   What is a "wide body" tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is a "wide body" tractor?
Page 1 of 1