All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 7:14 am

Does anyone have an electric start for a Briggs 17 HP single? Mine will no longer barely turn itself over and it wont turn the engine over the compression stroke. I checked and cleaned all contacts, charged the battery, and even took one of my truck batteries and tried that. Still no good.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 9:19 am

have you taken the motor apart to check it? its it spinning in its bearing freely?
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 10:17 am

I've been afraid to take it apart because I didn't want to mess it up any more than it may be. I can spin it, but it's a little stiff and it kinda squeaks a little when it's spun slowly. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. It just appears to lack the power to turn the engine over. I never could get the starter to turn the engine over the compression stroke without turning the engine back to the intake stroke so the starter could get a head start. Something ain't right with that.
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 11:35 am

Not to scare you, but I had similar problem with a Kohler. Turned out to be a bad connecting rod. It was galled up and got very tight near the top of the stroke.
You might be lucky and it will be the starter, hope so!!
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 1:10 pm

I don't think it's the engine. The engine turns over pretty easy, even in the compression stroke. It just takes some effort to turn over the compression stroke. At least I know it has good compression. Plus, I took the spark plug out and turned the engine all the way over and it moved freely, so I don't think it's the engine. However, anything's possible.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 6:46 pm

Have you checked the starter solenoid? That could posibiley be the problem. Its a lot cheaper than the starter too.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 8:39 pm

How do ya know it's bad? I can hear the usual "Click" noise when I turn the key.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 9:35 pm

Could be the ign switch also - ive had a couple go bad - id go thru and change them out - if one works, then youll have spares.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2012, 11:20 am

Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
I've been afraid to take it apart because I didn't want to mess it up any more than it may be. I can spin it, but it's a little stiff and it kinda squeaks a little when it's spun slowly. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. It just appears to lack the power to turn the engine over. I never could get the starter to turn the engine over the compression stroke without turning the engine back to the intake stroke so the starter could get a head start. Something ain't right with that.

I would suggest taking it apart if its a little stiff and it squeaks, it sounds like something is rubbing against something else or the bearings are shot. it should have a bit of resistance on the motors shaft when turning it by hand but it should not squeak.

If your starter is similar to the one on my 11hp briggs, they are a normal motor and not hard to take apart. the only thing you need to be careful of is the brushes and the brush springs. Just open it slowly and they should go flying off somewhere.

Do a youtube search on how to take one apart, motors are pretty simple compared to engines.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2012, 2:30 pm

I took it apart and it looks Ok inside. I used a socket and some small nails to get the brushes back on. They have very little wear. There is something wrong though. I had my dad look at it because he knows this stuff, and he said it should spin freely and not squeak. He said you should be able to quickly turn it and should slowly come to a stop. Sounds like a bad bearing to me.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 7:38 am

Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
I took it apart and it looks Ok inside. I used a socket and some small nails to get the brushes back on. They have very little wear. There is something wrong though. I had my dad look at it because he knows this stuff, and he said it should spin freely and not squeak. He said you should be able to quickly turn it and should slowly come to a stop. Sounds like a bad bearing to me.

yeah the bearing is what im thinking.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 8:57 am

Could I get a new bearing for it, or do I have to get a whole new starter?
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 4:31 pm

You should be able to get a bearing easily enough but i think your biggest problem would be getting the old bearing off. If you can get it off, then a new bearing would be the best and cheapest option i think.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 4:51 pm

I'll look at it again and see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 9:31 pm

Good news guys, I fixed the starter and I didn't pay a penny. The starter had bushings, not bearings. They were bone dry. With a little grease, the starter spins much better. Now the engine will turn over much faster. It will even turn over the compression stroke without getting a head start. cheers
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 10:48 pm

Great, Glad to hear its fixed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?   starter - Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you think my starter motor is dead and should be replaced?
Page 1 of 1