All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CornishMorgan

pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 3:59 pm

Hey guys, just wondering how do you get the pulley off of the gearbox. i have spent 3 hours today trying to get the damn thing off and still no luck. I've tried using a lever and a hammer, a homemade puller, blow torching it and cutting the top part of the pulley but nothing seems to work. It's like it's welded itself to the shaft. Has anyone had a problem with this and how do i get the pulley off without damaging the input shaft?

Thanks alot
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 6:58 pm

If you don't plan on using the old pulley you can cut it off the hub, then cut the hub off the input shaft of the transaxle. Whenever you put the next pulley on make sure the input shaft is clean & use some Never-Seez or other anti-seize product
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 8:07 pm

What He Said!!!
That is how i had to do my murray.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 8:32 pm

OK thanks alot. Ill give that a go and see what happens.

I cant use the stock pulley anymore, when i tried using the puller i made, it just bent the pulley and is now somewhat hyperbolic paraboloid shaped, so its unusable Neutral
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 4:39 am

mlwinters wrote:

I cant use the stock pulley anymore, when i tried using the puller i made, it just bent the pulley and is now somewhat hyperbolic paraboloid shaped, so its unusable Neutral

lol! ... Been there done that... lol!
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 7:23 am

Make sure you took out the little snap ring first Very Happy

We just took 2 of them off as we went through some of the old transmissions Stretch has piled up. We coated them thoroughly with PB blast, let em sit for a while, then had one guy lift the transaxle by the pulley just a bit while the other guy smacks the input shaft with a brass hammer. This worked for both of ours, but I've seen ones that needed heated/cut too.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2012, 3:38 pm

I have tried moreless everything to get the pulley off inclueding cutting, heating, hammer (Very Happy). Nor could I get the angle grinder or a saw close enough to the shaft to be able to cut the outer part of the pulley off.
I did manage to bend to pulley enough to get a socket under the it. I have now got the casing open and cleaned out. Updates to follow on my project page.
The pulley is still on the shaft but now they are out of the casing it should be easier to separate them.

As for replacing the old pulley, what do you guys think about these Pulleys.
Im thinking of getting the 118mm 19mm bore, giving a engine/gearbox ratio of 1.548/1 (engine pulley is 3 inch(76.2mm)). The engine pulley will get replaced when i make a new clutch since i currently dont have any room to make the engine pulley bigger because of where the clutch is now.

Are aluminium pulleys good for tractor gearboxes or should they be cast iron?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2012, 3:35 am

Don't use aluminum pulleys... they wear out and trash your belt... just spring for the steel pulleys. <-- Speaks from experience

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2012, 5:23 am

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
Don't use aluminum pulleys... they wear out and trash your belt... just spring for the steel pulleys. <-- Speaks from experience

Ah right, I see your point, Thanks telling me Very Happy

I have looked at sites in the UK and cant find any that have the pulley i want to it looks like ill have to get one sent over the pond.

After looking at Chunk's post about where to get pulleys, phoenix-mfg have THIS pulley. Does this looks OK?

Thanks Alot
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2012, 8:42 am

That looks like some of the ones we are using, and we have not had to replace any, other than the aluminum one I mentioned, or to change speeds.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.   pulley - Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gearbox Pulley Impossible To Remove.
Page 1 of 1