All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Empty
PostSubject: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 1:20 pm

Ok guys i got a 03 craftsman the original engine blew and last guy put a 12hp flatt briggs on it i got all the old wiring set up out and just put the basic in key switch for ignition and switch for headlights that gets its power only when key switch is in the on position.
Now the engine has only one wire coming from the stator? I know the deal, you have one for lights and other for charging. My question is,
the single wire that comes out, when i touch it to the positive battery cable it sparked so I quickly moved it. Is it suppose to be grounded or hooked to the positive lead?
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 4:28 pm

that wire goes to the solenoid. Yes it is + if you hold it to the bat it will spark and the starter should turn.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 5:02 pm

im not talking about the wire that starts it i mean the wire from the charging system ones usally run the the light switch and the other usally go's to the +positive to keep it charged.
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 5:36 pm

Embarassed ...O ok!... Embarassed

You have a multimeter?
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 7:45 pm

yes i do but not really sure how to read them lol
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 9:19 pm

Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 11:54 pm

if you need it to charge the battery and run light why dont you just hook to wires to the end of the one run one to battery one for lights
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 12:16 am

im running the lights off the battery but the engine has only the one wire stator and that wire should run to the battery to keep it charged? my prob is when i hook it to the battery it sparks a little
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 1:49 am

ok have you tried unhooking the battery cables like the ground and postive hooking it up the hooking everthing else up?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 8:40 am

That wire is probably the lighting wire. It generally makes a pretty nice spark when you tap it to +. Don't hook it up solid or you'll cook the lighting circuit (done that one before). There should be a second wire for charging, and if there isn't it probably broke off.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 9:17 am

thats what i thought it was broke off but its not. theres the full circle stator looks like --- O then theres another style thats only half looks like half a circle i gell ill maybe do a video of it that'll prob help lol
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 11:27 am

oops my bad maybe thats why the wiring on my john deer fried lol
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 11:43 am

You need to check to see if it is putting out AC or DC!
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 2:32 pm

an how do i do that? lol
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 4:29 pm

gearheadmike wrote:
an how do i do that? lol

^^^^SEE How to use a Multimeter for beginners: Part 1^^^^
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 9:53 am

If the stator is a half circle with one wire, it is a charging wire that charges the battery. Some older, or smaller engine stators did not have a lighting wire, only a charge wire.

I believe some full circle stators are also only one wire, charging wire.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 10:46 am

thats what i fig but y would it arc when i touch the positive with it? Anyway i made a video of it and it'll be on here soon
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 11:19 am

If it is arcing with the engine not running, the stator is shorted out and needs replaced. It should make a tiny spark if the engine is running.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 2:22 pm

thats what i was thinking that it could be a bad stator heres video sry cam is crappy as hell

https://youtu.be/l-pyTDAPBAw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?   Which terminal do I connect the stator up to? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which terminal do I connect the stator up to?
Page 1 of 1