All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

More Speed in High Gear??

Go down 
+4
CornishMorgan
dangeroustoys56
TheRainbowBoxer
TennesseeCowboy
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

More Speed in High Gear?? Empty
PostSubject: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2012, 10:54 pm

I have a Dynamark with an 11 hp B&S on it. It has 1,2, and 3 gears. What are some ways i can make it go faster in 3rd gear, for road use, but still keep the power in 1st and 2nd gear for offroad use? Thanks in advance!! Smile
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2012, 8:24 am

Upping the speed by a reasonable amount does not reduce power enough to prohibit offroad use. We ran 3 speed trannys for years set for 45mph top speed and still ran them in the woods/hills. It gets a little crazy at times, depending on what you are attempting.

It is nice (since we upgraded to 5/6 speed transmissions) to have a creeper gear for going downhill, as it saves the brakes.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2012, 10:59 pm

What are some ways i could increase the speed though?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 8:17 am

Pulley swap is the easiest way to increase speed. If you increase the size of the engine pulley and/or decrease the size of the transmission pulley, the tractor will go faster. This will affect all gears, but, like I said, a moderate increase will not reduce power enough to prohibit offroading.

FearlessFront has some pretty good "how to" videos on YouTube.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2012, 8:38 pm

My 6 speed in a '94 murray was 'normal' in 1st after a pulley swap , but after 2nd it went drastically faster.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2012, 5:22 pm

So...i measured my pulleys today.
I have a 3 in. diameter pulley on the front and a 8in. diameter pulley on the rear. What would be the best sizes to put on it?
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2012, 7:26 pm

i have a 3 inch to 4.5 inch, but my gearbox is a 4 speed not a 3. I guess a 5.5 - 6 inch should be good.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2012, 7:02 pm

I'm thinking about leaving the 3 in on the front, what would be the best pulley for the back to get around 15 mph in 3rd gear?
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2012, 1:31 am

like i said, a 5.5 to 6 inch should do it. Im only wanting about 15mph with the pulley swap i'v done so a 3 to 5.5 inch on a three speed box sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2012, 10:09 pm

Oh i didnt really pay attention to your last post, but it pretty much explained exactly what i asked. Thanks for the help dude!
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2012, 8:32 am

lol silly you Razz
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2012, 10:38 pm

I guess instead of 5.5-6 on the back i thought you meant 5.5 on the front and 6 on the back haha
Back to top Go down
Crazymudder
Crazymudder

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 7:41 pm

if your transmission is a pearless 600 or something i run a 4 or 4 1/2 in the rear and standard 4 in the front also
Back to top Go down
swbeebe

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2012, 10:45 am

Using bigger pulleys will give you more belt wrap, reducing slippage when wet. Say if you where using equal pulleys on front and back 3 to 3 is the same ratio as 5 to 5. But the 5 to 5 would be a lot less slippage.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2012, 11:16 pm

Its a peerless, i don't know about the 600 part though. I called around today and found a place that had the pulley. After i went and got it and tore everything off i realized the keyway was different. So i took it back and turns out they didnt have the one i needed after all. And to make matters worse the original pulley was so rusted it bent under all the pressure i had on it to get it off. I ended up finding a pulley that was a tad bigger and slapped it on until i can find the size i needed. It may be a little slower, but i have a whole lot more power in 3rd gear and no belt slippage lol. Smile And i can pop wheelies now too cheers
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2012, 7:08 pm

i wish i couldnt pop wheelies if im going at idle speed and go to full speed to fast i will pop a wheelie and flip
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2012, 10:10 pm

greener179 wrote:
i wish i couldnt pop wheelies if im going at idle speed and go to full speed to fast i will pop a wheelie and flip

lol sound fun. A couple of years ago when i had my electric buggy/go kart, i took it into a skate park, into a shallow bowl hoping it would get up the other side. Well lets just say it didn't have enough weight over the front axle and it kinda back flipped, go's without saying, it didn't go well Razz (not a wheelie but it was funny apart from braking the tail lights and the charging socket)

I can do small 6 inch wheelies on my tractor (before pulley change) but i haven't had it running since the pulley change so i don't know how well it will be able to do wheelies now.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2012, 11:59 pm

I'd say i get around a foot off the ground in the front. The clutch isn't working exactly right with this setup but i don't think i will adjust it yet because i'll just have to redo it after i get my other pulley. And wow the flipping thing sounds scary lol. Makes me want to weld a roll cage on...lol
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2012, 11:17 am

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
And wow the flipping thing sounds scary lol. Makes me want to weld a roll cage on...lol

lol you could make a roll cage or you could build a removable wheelie bar with a small wheel. you'd be able to do really long wheelies without the risk of flipping over.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2012, 11:12 pm

Yeah i can only hold a wheelie for about a sec or two lol
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2012, 11:43 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Yeah i can only hold a wheelie for about a sec or two lol

Put some weight on the back or shift your weight more towards the back. There's a few ways to help get longer wheelies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2012, 8:37 pm

Good news i finally found a 5" pulley with the right keyway. I put it on earlier, and i just measured for my belt. I'm off tomorrow so hopefully i'll make some progress:D
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2012, 4:58 pm

My mod murray had a terrible tendency to pop wheelies - i didnt like it at all , ive flopped over a bunch of times popping the clutch on my tractors - couple times i did ride a wheelie ( racing my buddy on my stock dynamark) and have a couple pics of short wheelies.
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2012, 5:54 pm

Im running two three inch pulleys on a 6 speed
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2012, 10:48 pm

So i finally got it going and i will say that i am impressed. I don't think it goes 15 mph but it has enough speed for around the farm and it still has a big chunk of power. I also got the brakes adjusted perfectly so it'll stop on a dime. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Speed in High Gear??   More Speed in High Gear?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More Speed in High Gear??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next