All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I lube my front Spindles?

Go down 
+3
murrayman96
Shawn1750
ironart
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ironart

Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Empty
PostSubject: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeOctober 1st 2012, 10:22 am

..But I can't see any way to lube the front spindles (king pins) . I don't see any grease fittings either, how is this done?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1750
Shawn1750

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2012, 3:05 am

You'll need to remove the spindles from their sleeve and apply grease in the shafts.
Back to top Go down
murrayman96
murrayman96

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2012, 12:46 pm

its not hard to grease the spindels, i do it all the time, do it like one a year unless u go mudding, then do it after every run to keep sediment out, and the spindels in good working order
Back to top Go down
ironart

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2012, 3:49 am

Thanks Shawn;
Sure does seem like a strange arrangement to avoid installing a couple grease fittings Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Some models   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2012, 7:04 am

I have seen some models where there is a plastic zerk bushing, I have seen also a zerk on the wheel hub, and I have seen a zerk in the front of the axle. The one on the front of the axle is often packed (hidden) by dirt and oil (grease) making it look black..the color of the frame..
Wheel bushing Zerk

But like said in above replies, sometimes you just got to remove the thing and add grease the old fashioned way..

congrats on getting yourself a ride!
Im up to my jugular in MTD myself..
Back to top Go down
murrayman96
murrayman96

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 9:47 am

i believe you can buy front tires that have grease fittings built in them......i think you can get grease fittings for your spindels too......u might have to so some mods to make it work, idk i just take them apart on my murray
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 1:21 pm

Why not take them off and drill it out. Tap it. Then insert your own grease fittings in?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 2:59 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
Why not take them off and drill it out. Tap it. Then insert your own grease fittings in?

That. If there is enough room for grease in the front spindle mount, it should be pretty easy to drill a hole and add your own fittings.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 3:14 pm

That. If there is enough room for grease in the front spindle mount, it should be pretty easy to drill a hole and add your own fittings.[/quote]

Yes if there is enough room. Need to remember that.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 7:47 pm

If its a newer MTD- they have open axle ends - and really no way to keep the grease in - its supported by 2 bushings, however my '92 white came with some sort of plastic cap on the axle ends with a zerk fitting to grease the spindles.

Actually the biggest problem is the center pivot - its thin metal and eventually will rust/break off - my white did that. It wouldnt hurt to pull the front axle off and grease the pivot area either ocassionally .

Another big area is the rear wheels - IF its a variable pulley/transaxle ( F -N -R ) setup - wheels have a flat edge and the axles have corresponding flat edge and are a tight fit - if the wheels will come off, i highly suggest greasing them , but on one mod MTD i actually lightly ground the axles ( to slide on and off easier), but the axle bolt needs to be good and tight to hold them on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I lube my front Spindles?   Front - How do I lube my front Spindles? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I lube my front Spindles?
Page 1 of 1