All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lowering a Tractor.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

Lowering a Tractor. Empty
PostSubject: Lowering a Tractor.   Lowering a Tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 9:43 am

My racing lawnmower sits on a horrid angle, Make the cylinder almost level. Would this affect anything at all? I've thought of simply "flipping the front axle, but I've seen numerous posts on it screwing up camber, but what if you cut a section from the top of the frame, (exactly above where the axle mount are currently) Then you could have the axle out the top. After, you could maybe flip the actual axle its self to make all the same cambering? I hope this helps any any future proects, or any feedback you guys can give on this idea.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Lowering a Tractor.   Lowering a Tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 11:36 am

Murray modder wrote:
My racing lawnmower sits on a horrid angle, Make the cylinder almost level. Would this affect anything at all? I've thought of simply "flipping the front axle, but I've seen numerous posts on it screwing up camber, but what if you cut a section from the top of the frame, (exactly above where the axle mount are currently) Then you could have the axle out the top. After, you could maybe flip the actual axle its self to make all the same cambering? I hope this helps any any future proects, or any feedback you guys can give on this idea.

I did a small lowering of my speed mower, "if" you raise the front axle up like you mentioned, check your engine clearence, as my engine was almost touching the front beam. check it out, maybe itll give you some ideas or help > https://youtu.be/J0zSv1gb_p8
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Lowering a Tractor.   Lowering a Tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 1:19 pm

Theres not going to be any problem with enging clearence, I have a vertical motor in the same positioning as Fearless.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Lowering a Tractor.   Lowering a Tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 1:26 pm

Your mower is alot different than mine, My axle is about 10 inches BACK from the front of the tractor, (This used to have a V twin engine, so the headers came down and twisted around to the muffler, the about 3 inches or so from that is the front peice.) SO welding to the front like you did isnt an option. Im talking about re-use the factory drill holes for mounting it as well.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: Lowering a Tractor.   Lowering a Tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 4:47 pm

now dont take me up on this, but i believe if you can cut out part of the frame and move the front axle up and weld it in place, then it will go down. i didnt know it for a fact but it may work, otherwise just get the smallest tires as you can and it can go down
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lowering a Tractor.   Lowering a Tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 2:33 pm

Most racers mount thier front axle actually above or even with the top of the chassis- depending how low they want it/ground clearance.

On my wizard i was setting it up for around 4" ground clearance - with 6" rims - the front axle would be to the top of the chassis, the spindles would be custom made to center on the center of the front axle ends for further lowering .

The straight rear axle would actually be cut up into the chassis a few inches for max lowering.

Using the 6" rims and regular turf tires , might have to tweek the rear fenders to fit correctly tho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowering a Tractor.   Lowering a Tractor. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lowering a Tractor.
Page 1 of 1