All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

question about lowering

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Plyxrs
Plyxrs

question about lowering Empty
PostSubject: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2012, 11:21 pm

How can I lower a Craftsman mower?
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2012, 7:01 pm

What do you plan on using it for? Leave the frame untouched and unbolt the fenders drill holes lower and tap the holes.your gona need to chop the fenders some or take a notch from the frame. The hood I'd leave alown but I'd get a mow deck and use tin and mold it around the wheels and up to the floor boards, hope to see some pic how it comes out!
Back to top Go down
Bigal
Bigal

PostSubject: Re: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2012, 8:23 pm

I have saw people in my area use square tubbing in the front put the wheels on not sure what people use on the back allways wanted to know hope this helps you out also they might have vids on youtube might want to check there two Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2012, 7:37 pm

I built a show-mower. To each his own. I have thought about air ride a few times. Just be careful I build a lowrider with hydraulics. Just make sure you ajust the air right as the mower might flip over backwards. lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2012, 11:34 pm

I am going to toss some air bags on the front of my john deere 100.. I am unsure what to do to keep the front axle in place.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2012, 11:53 pm

Perhaps use an air shock instead of an air bag? I am used to working with hydraulics not really air but I am thinking about using some air shocks with an on board air compressor. 2 shocks in the front one on each side.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2012, 8:15 am

Most people lower tractors for more stability - its best for faster applications. My mod murray was stock height and was seriously scarey to drive at any sort of high speed - as a cheep lowering mod on my one MTD, basically i raised the front axle to the top of the chassis, bolted it solid ( there wont be any flex - you dont want any at high speed) , for the rear i just used some low profile rear tires.

I also bolted the seat to the chassis- the thing handled like a slot car- was so much better handling- cornered nice n clean.

My next couple mods will be lowered using the same solid front axle, custom building front lowered spindles, using either a 700 peerless or right angle gear box to a straight rear axle relocated with steel tubing , pillow block berings for about a 4" ride hieght ( with wheels on).

Probably best way to build a lowered tractor with 'flex' or adjustable suspension would be to do like rockcrawlers do - linked suspension with hiem joints and a locator bar ( to keep axles straight with the body) - steering setup would need all hiem joints, would be best to use either a peerless 700 or RAGB to a straight rear axle , but belt driven ( chain would twist) or a shaft drive trans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about lowering   question about lowering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question about lowering
Page 1 of 1