All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lowering front help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Phatmatt
Phatmatt

Lowering front help Empty
PostSubject: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 2:08 pm

What would be the best way of lowering the front end on my tractor? Without getting smaller wheels.  I already got new wheels which are a little bigger than the oem

The rear I already got figured.

Lowering front help IMG213
Lowering front help IMG180
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 3:09 pm

The best way? Remember that the best way is nearly never the easiest way. The easiest way, is by far the crappiest. The easiest and crappiest, is to flip the entire axle upside down. I don't suggest this, though. In addition to putting a lot of tensile load on some seriously crappy C-clips, it totally dickers your steering geometry.

The better way, is to move the axle up, by welding it to the front of the frame, or notching the frame.

The BEST way, is to fabricate a new front axle using go-kart style spindles- whether you purchase them or fabricate them.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 3:34 pm

unbolt the rear fenders and lower them to how you like it drill new holes and bolt the fenders back on in the new holes
Back to top Go down
Phatmatt
Phatmatt

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 4:14 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
The best way? Remember that the best way is nearly never the easiest way. The easiest way, is by far the crappiest. The easiest and crappiest, is to flip the entire axle upside down. I don't suggest this, though. In addition to putting a lot of tensile load on some seriously crappy C-clips, it totally dickers your steering geometry.

The better way, is to move the axle up, by welding it to the front of the frame, or notching the frame.

The BEST way, is to fabricate a new front axle using go-kart style spindles- whether you purchase them or fabricate them.

I didn't like the idea of flipping the axle,  and don't want to move the axle more forward which i have too because of the engine. I don't want the wheels to come out too much in the front and are already limit for me where they are.

I like the spindle idea,  I'll get a set on ebay and weld them on the existing axle or make a new one depending.

While we're on the subject-ish, are most tractor wheels with a 5/8 i.d. ? Are there other common sizes?

kawasaki220 wrote:
unbolt the rear fenders and lower them to how you like it drill new holes and bolt the fenders back on in the new holes

I'm lowering the frame, not the fenders.  I want a lower center of gravity.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 4:48 pm

I believe 3/4" is the norm.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 4:59 pm

Phatmatt wrote:
What would be the best way of lowering the front end on my tractor? Without getting smaller wheels.  I already got new wheels which are a little bigger than the oem

You could cut the ends off of the axle carrier, at the red dotted line.

Move them up, and weld them back on. Then weld in gussets at the green lines.
Lowering front help Img18010

That should lower it but retain the articulation.
Back to top Go down
Phatmatt
Phatmatt

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 5:29 pm

That was actually one of the ideas I had.

But is the actual spindle strong enough for speeds or would I be better off welding go-cart spindles?

Lowering front help Frontview
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2014, 5:53 pm

I think you could probably utilize the stock king pin holes in the stock axle, and make spindles, having the king pin on a angle like that makes steering better at speed. just my suggestion
Lowering front help Frontv11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowering front help   Lowering front help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lowering front help
Page 1 of 1