All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

transaxle stuck in third gear

Go down 
+2
avrappy
davidgt6000
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
davidgt6000

transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 6:35 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Chassis looks just like my weedeater tractor - till MTD took over making newer craftsmans , most the old older LT's are nearly all the same chassis/transmissions - even have a poulan thats the same as the weedeater.

Id still crack it open anyway , that was my thinking back then - it didnt work, so even if i broke or screwed it up, what did it matter? I still have a couple spare transmissions around anyway.

yeah im going to open it up, got it ready to drop now.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 9:29 pm

Yeah that's going to be your best option i think.

Just remember to open it slowly and carefully and find and keep safe the little ball and its spring for the shifter.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 9:44 am

about the same that happened to mine. someone told me that a bolt(?) is bent and preventing it to move
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 11:00 am

dropped transaxle out this morning, opened it up to find some nasty cankered grease,some water,rust,etc. but the only problem was and still is the shifting lever, have sprayed it with pb and its loosened up some. everything else is moving good inside. here is some pics of the mess. and by the way, sears called this as having a dana, but this one i took out is a foote which leads me to think someone changed it .transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Axle10
transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Axle110
transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Axle310
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 1:13 pm

that looks nasty, no wonder it wasn't shifting properly. Give in a clean with some petrol, a paint brush and lots of old rags and it should be as good as new, providing nothing is broken.
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2013, 9:30 am

i took the rearend out of this craftsman ll and put it in. had to change mounting brackets though, but its mobile now.transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Crafts15
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 5:12 am

Thats what i saw in a MTD transaxle i took apart the other day - all nasty looking grease - my plan was to swap some internal parts with another ( for the brakes) - oddly they wernt the same- one had bigger pieces inside then the other .

The one i wanted to fix had better tires the the donor ( its a b*tch to pull MTD rims off) was hoping to swap the brake setup over - but they were nothing alike - i need to go thru and check my other spare MTD transaxles anyway - ive been thinking of redoing a couple good ones for spares ( and putting zerks in ) and taking the rest apart for spare pieces.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 3:18 pm

davidgt6000 wrote:
i took the rearend out of this craftsman ll and put it in. had to change mounting brackets though, but its mobile now.transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Crafts15

Looks like the Craftsman I donated to my friend. We swapped a 18.5 Briggs Intek V into it though. Nice machine, we pulley swapped to a 5" rear I believe. had to redo the linkages for the shifter though so it only goes into 3rd so we gotta redo it, but she flies in 3rd. We were popping wheelies with it with the massive 18.5 in it too.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 3:25 pm

this one has 14 opposed twin in it, needs some card work.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 3:36 pm

davidgt6000 wrote:
this one has 14 opposed twin in it, needs some card work.

Guess they were a bit different then, mine had a 14hp Briggs Vanguard V in it before we swapped it.

Now that I look at the pic more I see the gas filler cap is on the outside. Mine was under the seat.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 4:06 pm

My fuel tank is mounted to the bonnet with the cap on the outside. I'm not that keen on it being there, Ill move it at some point.

Last edited by CornishMorgan on February 2nd 2013, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 4:13 pm

transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Crafts16
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 7:03 am

It looks a bit dirty but it doesn't look too bad.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 2:51 pm

Looks like it needs a bath. Is it running?

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2013, 1:41 pm

CornishMorgan: "My fuel tank is mounted to the bonnet with the cap on the outside. "

Yeah my '82 dynamark has the same setup - can only open the hood with the tank around 1/2 full or itll leak all over - you can make a bracket to bolt it to the chassis instead.
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 1:44 pm

i had bought the green craftsman for $50 , yesterday i sold the 14.5 ohv briggs that was on it for $100 and put my extra 11.5 briggs flat head on it today,done some riding on the farm and it done really well. now to get some better tires and do some pulley swapping.transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Mudd110
transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Mudd210
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 2:33 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
CornishMorgan: "My fuel tank is mounted to the bonnet with the cap on the outside. "

Yeah my '82 dynamark has the same setup - can only open the hood with the tank around 1/2 full or itll leak all over - you can make a bracket to bolt it to the chassis instead.

hahaha yeah if its more than half full petrol comes out the cap, its a pain, Ill fix that someday. Not helpful over big bumps while smoking Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

transaxle stuck in third gear
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next