All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

I used to love these cars

Go down 
+3
W1ldyOvvnZ
Murray modder
Chopperhed
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

I used to love these cars Empty
PostSubject: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 8:46 pm

I can't stand them now

I used to love these cars CobraShot1

Spent two years building it, hand popped over 2000 rivets, spent weeks on the bodywork, Powdercoated parts, installed and setup the driveline, actually even got to drive it in the shop once. It took me a week to custom machine the billet rear view mirror mount alone. Took three tries before he was happy with it. Custom machined all the dash knobs, aircleaner nut, fuel injector covers, fuel pump brackets, fuel vent can, and chin spoiler mounts.

Powered by a crate 302 bored and stroked to 348 CI, has a race prepped 5 speed, removable windshield,
Race prepped Jag IRS, Custom fron IFS, fully electronic, computerized electrical sytem, custom one off fuel injection etc. Set up for autocross.

I wish I'd never seen it. The owner (our former General Manager) and the shop foreman lost their jobs the day it went for inspection, I lost mine but was rehired a few days later, and given the foremans job.

I was originally hired to start an electrician apprenticeship, but soon as the GM found out about my bikes, I got stuck on the car. Pretty much killed my apprenticeship.

Three weeks later, he exploded the transmission on a dyno run. apparently he slammed the trans case on the ground while he was ripping around, it failed under extreme load.

I used to love these cars Cobra_Diff
I used to love these cars Cobra_Footboxes
I used to love these cars Cobra_Trunksheet
I used to love these cars Cobra_Wiring
I used to love these cars CobroEngine
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 9:00 pm

DAMN! I take it thats modeled after a shelby Cobra 4/27 SC? Holy crap...if I new You made those things...I'd ask for your adress and sent you my Vette for one.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 9:15 pm

I don't build cars, I got shanghai'ed into it. We actually build high voltage high amperage multiphase electrical equipment.

The car was the GM's hobby.

I build/ repair bikes and tractors, and other power toys. I have enough to do with 2 quads, three tractors, a boat, Seadoo, Chopper, and 4 dirtbikes. Not all are mine, but I have to maintain and tune them. I can usually fit in a quad or mower afew time a year for friends and family, but thats about it.

I don't like working on cars and my van has had a broken front sway bear for going on two years.

I haven't got around to fixing the temperature controls yet either. The fuel sender quit a week after I put the new fuel pump in it, it has a rattle when stopped in drive that will drive u crazy, but i'kll drive it till the wheels fall off, and go get another one.

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 9:23 pm

BTW. The oringinal 427 Cobraspowered were by the "side oiler" Ford 427 engine (7.0 L) rated at 425 bhp (317 kW),

There where 260 small block and a 289 small block versions as well.

This one wieghs 600 pounds less and puts out 40 hp more than the original 427

Has modern brakes and suspension too.

Its a factory five kit.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 9:33 pm

Tell GM they can have their Vette back, send me that.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 10:39 pm

That is alot of work! The biggest project ive ever helped with is making an 80,000lbs cap. Silage Wagon. i know i wouldn't take on a project like that but i guess its sort of hard to refuse it from your point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 12:40 am

would love to get behind the wheel of that with a full tank of gas lol cause i know the cops around here would be on me like crazy Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 7:21 am

Chopperhed wrote:
BTW. The oringinal 427 Cobraspowered were by the "side oiler" Ford 427 engine (7.0 L) rated at 425 bhp (317 kW),

There where 260 small block and a 289 small block versions as well.

This one wieghs 600 pounds less and puts out 40 hp more than the original 427

Has modern brakes and suspension too.

Its a factory five kit.

I know where ther's two 427 side oilers at right now for sale. I think one has a 2x3 setup and the other is a longblock. The guy that owned them just passed away and the wife is selling everything.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 7:27 am

It is a nice ride. I've ridden in one before, the HP/weight ratio is great. You should read the autobiography of Carol Shelby sometime, its a good read. I remmber part of it talks about when they were racing in Europe and were about to run out of gas on a long road corcse that went through the country side. they stopped at a regular gas station and dropped two fuel lines in, filled the car and left. I think that was when Carol Shelby installed a 42 galon tank later in his own personal 427 A/C later on.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 12:35 pm

Chopperhead, what kind of van do you have.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 1:09 pm

its a 1999 GMC Safari. Its my truck, my camper, my portable shop, my toy hauler and trailer puller.

I can haul up to a 48" wide tractor, a 9' Seadoo, my street bike, my quad, and even my dirt bike if I strap the forks down some. Of course its not all at the same time. Very Happy

It can pull my boat @ 75 mph too, and gets 25 to the gallon.

Its the only rear drive mid size van I could get.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 1:19 pm

I used to have a Chevy Astro, which is the sister to the Safari... It was amazing the amount of stuff you could put in it. I embarrassed pickup truck owners when helping friends move.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 1:45 pm

My last one was an ex-RCMP 91 Chev Astro. Drove the wheels off it for ten years.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 3:29 pm

those older chevy vans seem to run forever
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I used to love these cars   I used to love these cars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I used to love these cars
Page 1 of 1