All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Batteries & Cranking Amps

Go down 
+4
gearheadmike
Chopperhed
Doug
RanchKing
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RanchKing
RanchKing

Batteries & Cranking Amps Empty
PostSubject: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2013, 9:10 pm

Hey guys, Been working on a Yardman Rider and its got a 20 hp. two cylinder. Finally got it running today but it gave my battery a real work out. This tractor didn't come with a battery so I just pulled the one out of my Simplicity, (Its a single cylinder) What I am wondering is, how high of a cranking amp should I get for this twin cylinder? My battery is a 230 and it was wearing down pretty quick trying to start that big motor. My battery is only a year old and always fully charged, so I know their is nothing wrong with it. (It probably didn't help that the motor sat for over three years.) But once it finally started and ran for awhile, it restarted with ease. What batteries do you run in your two cylinders?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2013, 9:14 pm

I run a regular lawn and garden battery for the Intek and it works fine. I have heard of people using car batteries, or you could use two lawn and garden batteries.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
RanchKing
RanchKing

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2013, 9:30 pm

What I am using currently is a Lawn & Garden Battery made by Everstart. (And the way that motor was today I didn't think it was going to "Everstart" LOL) Can't use a car battery (Limited space), this is a mower made for mowing, I am not modifying it to be a off roader. I am just trying to fix it up and make a good profit. What is the cranking amps on your battery?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2013, 9:36 pm

Being Canadian, and having to start engines at 30 below, I always fit the biggest battery I can in whatever soace I can.

Both my Fords run Auto batteries, while the off roader is going to get the biggest batt that will fit in the space.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2013, 10:19 pm

Try tsc batterys i seen some there with very high cranking apms and those were lawn/garden batterys Thats the things about twins 2 more pistions to push and twice the compression lol
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2013, 10:29 pm

I think the battery I have in the Ariens (mowing tractor) is a regular Napa, and it has a 22 or 23 hp Kohler in it.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 5:11 pm

Usually above 600cca is for cold starts
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 6:12 pm

I normally run truck batteries.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 7:34 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:

dude my buddes trucks got 630, lol isnt that a little over kill?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 8:09 pm

My Fords both run batts over 800 CCA. The one in my snow pusher pushes over 1000 cca, but it runs the electric lift. Cold weather makes hard to start.

Back to top Go down
RanchKing
RanchKing

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 8:17 pm

Hey guys, Thanks for everyones inputs. From what I've heard and seen, I think I am going to try to find something in the neighborhood of 300 to 500 cranking amps. Another question I have is, what is a DC Ampers meter/guage and what purpose does it serve on my riding mower? Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 8:34 pm

RanchKing wrote:
Hey guys, Thanks for everyones inputs. From what I've heard and seen, I think I am going to try to find something in the neighborhood of 300 to 500 cranking amps. Another question I have is, what is a DC Ampers meter/guage and what purpose does it serve on my riding mower? Thanks again!

I believe it shows how much the alternator is putting back into your battery. Usually like 3v.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 8:39 pm

RanchKing wrote:

The DC Amps ( Ammeter) gauge tells you how much power in amps your system is drawing at any given time.

Watts equals volts times amps

A Voltmeter on the other hand, tells you the voltage present in your system. A reading at more than 12.5 volts or so tells you that the system is charging. If it drops below 11.5, then the system has a load on it, and the the ammeter will tell you how much.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 8:54 pm

Once I got the Jonsered home to you the Craftsman, I measured the battery to about 13.1 volts tho the starter didn't even move. I found out later the battery was frozen, I changed it with a new one measured to 12.4 volts and it started instantly.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2013, 9:27 pm

xxXMowerdudeXxx wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:

dude my buddes trucks got 630, lol isnt that a little over kill?

Indeed but I said usually :p

And you know metal in the cold? Tight! And mixed with a flooded engine, 600cca is suddenly not that much bounce
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 12:16 pm

I use a small car battery for my opposed. Works really well and doesn't give me problems. Cranks for along time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Batteries & Cranking Amps   Batteries & Cranking Amps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Batteries & Cranking Amps
Page 1 of 1