All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Empty
PostSubject: A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).    A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2013, 10:58 pm

A simple way to lift your tractor:

Take 1" square steel stock, cut into lengths just longer than the 2 mount holes for your rear end.
I know some have 2 (or even 3) sets of mounts so this exact length may vary.
take a marker, spray paint or other such marking tool, and when the pieces are aligned (1 by 1 that is) mark the holes for drilling.

So given that they're 1" square and usually very strong you can literally lift inch by inch on the rear.
On the front, assuming the swing arm assembly is bolt in and not welded already you can use much the same technique to build lift blocks for the front. I used an old steel meat rack from a grocery store to build mine and they're strong as anything except solid stock...

I can all but promise they'll work if done properly - I've used the same material, same technique to add 4" of lift to a subaru wagon (84 GL, 6" of lift when done) and it held for over 100 thousand miles other than a simple snugging of the bolts from time to time. This of course requires longer bolts... threadlocker and lock washers are strongly advised. I will give pics of what I mean by all this when I get the time.

** Edit - thanks to the wisdom of Mr. Fackler , I noticed I omitted one key point - when lifting in this fashion - extend your front mounts either with the same stock or some flat iron, or make all new ones to reflect the added space between differential and frame/body mount point up front. As I said before, will show examples of this soon!

Last edited by prometheusEDI on April 11th 2013, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).    A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2013, 11:02 pm

Be sure to extend the transaxle front mount arms as well. If you dont have those on, youre bound to break off something.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).    A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Icon_minitimeApril 11th 2013, 11:04 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Be sure to extend the transaxle front mount arms as well. If you dont have those on, youre bound to break off something.

right, I had thought of that after posting. I think I'll edit that in
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).    A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2013, 6:03 am

if i were to lift my tractor i would probably do it this way
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).    A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2013, 8:31 am

Yeah if i lift my mower i might lift it this way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).    A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Basic but Strong Lift, for Your Tractor (based on a homebuilt subaru lift).
Page 1 of 1