All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Question about War Machine, need opinions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Empty
PostSubject: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 1:33 am

After having it up and running for a few days now, off roading, mudding, on road etc... I just don't like how the tractor handles. Sure, it turns nice for still having mostly stock steering, quite stable considering the increased height - but it's not how I pictured it being. I am thinking of lowering it down and putting some decent standard sized tires on front, leaving the knobbies out back and eliminating it's ability to ride rough trails. Make it an off-road capable speed mower instead. Essentially, I'd do the axle flip front and rear, and adjust as needed for a flat stance if not a slight forward rake.

What i would like to know is, if you all think I should, or that I should simply leave it alone and enjoy it... or do all this to my project from a year ago that's similarly powered and geared?
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 1:58 am

which project are you happier with?, i know it sounds like a odd question, but the one that you are the least happy with is the one you should change
, or thats my opinion
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 5:54 am

Do keep in mind that flipping the frontend results in HORRIBLE steering geometry. The KPI angle ends up completely backwards, which in turn mangles the scrub radius. It's a lot more work, but if you want to lower the frontend properly, you'll have to re-engineer it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 2:09 pm

Well, ok then. I think the big issue is the geometry of the front steering anyway, which can be seen in one of the videos on youtube. Nothing bent or otherwise out of whack and I get both this \ / (bear with me here) and...

) ( this. toe in and camber are way off with how it is now. None of my front ends have a straight angle to the spindles (except one I got rid of before starting the project - doh!) and it makes for some really quick steering. more stable than I would imagine but it pretty much scrubs the tires no matter what. I never noticed it with smaller tires on. And the thing is, the tires and wheels that are there now are not the chosen set when truly finished. 31x10.50's are.

I dunno, I'll leave it as is for now, work on that golf cart until I run out of materials... then resurrect last years project in some fashion.

Thanks guys...
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 2:38 pm

As far as handling goes, in my opinion anyway, you should shoot for 0 degree camber, 10 degree caster (top of spindle tilted toward back of tractor), and 0 degree toe. All of our tractors are set up that way and they handle great at any speed.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 4:53 pm

That's pretty close to the baseline numbers I tend to start with. 10-12* caster, 8-10* KPI, little or no camber, maybe a degree of toe-in and carefully measured Ackermann.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 5:09 pm

Our tractors have terrible KPI... manually pushing them around into the garage and otherwise: once you turn the wheels it becomes really hard to push.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2013, 5:20 pm

Looking at the MULE here, I see that the KPI angle isn't that far off, but the scrub radius is pretty brutal because of how far out from the kingpin the contact patch is. Flipping the assembly would just make a total mockery of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about War Machine, need opinions   machine - Question about War Machine, need opinions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about War Machine, need opinions
Page 1 of 1