All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"

Go down 
+17
willis923
TroyBilt Pony
SuperMudMuppet
GenevaCustoms
Ariens YT11
motorizedeverything
Stretch44875
Creepycrawler
redlinemotorsportts
k2500life
Doc Sprocket
Doug
Hillbilly Homer
richie thomas
crazykid1994
Thunderdivine
frostypaws
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GenevaCustoms

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2013, 6:07 am

Ahh, makes sense problem the easiest way to make it turn. Lol. And I would think it has a decrease on shifting because when you push the clutch sometimes the belt will spin shortly after and if that's a high rpm "after spin" then it could make the trsnny jump into gear and when u have a foot you let off the gas so the rims are lower so the belt "after spin" isn't as high of rpm as if it was set at like 3/4 throttle. I don't know if that's correct info but it sounds right doesn't it? Lol
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2013, 10:37 am

For less stress, no governor is better. Partial throttle on a governor can still be full throttle at the carb, depending on load.

How are you hooking the 820 to the diff?

Considering the high reduction, and over speed 820, keys would see very little torque. I have found 2 keys last longer, and shift easier, than 4.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2013, 11:09 am

If you look in my build threads, we are running 820 transaxles. We have installed a upgrade gearset that reduces the overall gear ratio. With this gearset, driving 1/1 engine to transaxle, we are running 45mph. This would work great for you, since you have a diff that is reducing your speed even more.

Here is a link for buying it. Stand up guy selling them, will answer any questions you have, and high quality.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/7186560/gearset-upgrade-2-for-peerless-820-transaxle-mower

Dennis

Back to top Go down
SuperMudMuppet
SuperMudMuppet

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2013, 2:57 pm

Wow coming along nice
Back to top Go down
frostypaws
frostypaws

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2013, 7:30 pm

Gentlemen,
    Over the weekend I ran into a little snag.  Unfortunately my assumed worries of belt slip got the best of me and the slipping Vee belt clutch does not slip when fully loosened.  Stretches and Rainbows belt keepers did help the belt grabbing problem, but now when I apply tension with the idler it "grabs" instantaneously which is not the intent of a manual clutch.  Right now I am using B belts (5/8") thinking of switching to 1/2" and going out to get a smaller (single sheave) drive pulley.  The drive pulley now is 8" and driven is 4", I'm thinking of going to a 4" for a drive pulley with a 1/2" belt.  Here I was worrying about too much belt slip, when the exact opposite occurs Rolling Eyes .  This is how I found out that power transmission was still occurring after I started the engine, thankfully the engine was on idle and stalled before further havoc.
All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 WP_000469_zps157d16c0
All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 WP_000470_zpsc0fdd807

This is the current clutch setup any and all possible solutions are greatly appreciated.  The main problem is that it doesn't take much to turn the transaxle input pulley and the current center distances from transaxle and engine.  If you need anymore info do not hesitate to ask, this site sure does wonders on finding solutions lol.
All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 WP_000475_zpsefc801fb
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2013, 7:50 pm

So to put in simple terms, the belt you want to clutch, wont disengage when its lose?
Ive had a lot of belt issues and ill tell you this-

5/8" belts dont work with tractor supply pulleys, they have the outcome your having but with 1/2" there fine. so rule belt size out, because you have the right size.

It might be the pulleys you have, im not really familiar with those cast iron (?) ones.

And the keepers might be to close. cant be to close, and cant be to far away.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2013, 8:03 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
So to put in simple terms, the belt you want to clutch, wont disengage when its lose?

5/8" belts dont work with tractor supply pulleys, they have the outcome your having but with 1/2" there fine. so rule belt size out, because you have the right size.

It might be the pulleys you have, im not really familiar with those cast iron (?) ones.

5/8 belts work fine with the pulleys out of the farm and garden section that have no keyway or anything.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2013, 8:04 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:

5/8 belts work fine with the pulleys out of the farm and garden section that have no keyway or anything.
Hmm, TSC must have some good pulleys, gripy.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 8:21 am

if its not too risky , let it run for a while, just cruise around. maybe everything just needs to get broken in a bit
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 12:03 pm

That's a cool build you got there and I like the idea of using tracks.
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 6:57 pm

Looking real good if you don't mind me askin how much do you got in this thing so far? Just wondering cause I'd love to build one of these
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
frostypaws
frostypaws

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 9:12 pm

k2500life wrote:
Looking real good if you don't mind me askin how much do you got in this thing so far? Just wondering cause I'd love to build one of these
At this point in time, a little less than $500 USD. Bear in mind 2/3 that cost was brand new steel, especially for the tracks. The scrapper near me only has heavy iron, I'm talking like 4x4x1/2" angle iron, too big for me so I had to buy my steel new. If you do go the track route, understand these builds can be expensive both in time and materials. But in my opinion it is SO worth it in the end! Laughing 

Also I think I solved the clutching problem, I went out and got a 1/2" aramid belt and the clutching works great! You live and you learn Rolling Eyes .
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 9:14 pm

Alright that's not to bad
Back to top Go down
frostypaws
frostypaws

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2013, 9:13 pm

Did a quick test drive, as with many ground up builds there are several problem areas.  All of them deal with the drivetrain.  Some problems encountered:
-Overtaxed engine (need to lower pulley ratios)
-Something happened to 1st gear during the test, I have to jiggle it "just right" and hold it for the keys to stay engaged (open up the transaxle to make sure I didn't FUBAR it)
-Engine stalling during skids, even on concrete (probably has to do with the fixed throttle system currently employed, engine needs refurbishing anyways)

Here is a quick non interesting video showing the tribulations encountered.  I really would've thought the 16hp would've had enough spunk to turn this thing on concrete (kept stalling when turning on turf).  But I guess turning track takes TORQUE!  I think I'll get a new pulley for the engine lowering the gear ratio, I didn't know what I was thinking when I wanted this thing to go 25mph especially with garden tractor components lol.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2013, 9:22 pm

Its amazing that it acually drives being so custom! Great planning and design!! I dont think i could do that in a million years lol. Yeah, you might need to bump it in HP, if you can find another engine. Good work!
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2013, 9:30 pm

That's awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
frostypaws
frostypaws

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2013, 12:18 pm

Its amazing that it acually drives being so custom! Great planning and design!! I dont think i could do that in a million years lol. Yeah, you might need to bump it in HP, if you can find another engine. Good work!
As a mechanical engineering student I appreciate that comment!

Here is another video showing the lack of power when turning (or maybe the governor isn't responding quick enough?). Also notice when I accidently shoved it 2nd gear at the end lol Shocked .
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2013, 1:57 pm

frostypaws wrote:
As a mechanical engineering student I appreciate that comment!

Here is another video showing the lack of power when turning (or maybe the governor isn't responding quick enough?).  Also notice when I accidently shoved it 2nd gear at the end lol Shocked .
Sounds like it almost isnt tuned right, Yours looks old enough to have a adjustable main jet. id probally play with that.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2013, 4:23 pm

I'm not all that surprised that you're short for engine. You've got a lot of weight, rotational mass, rolling resistance, friction. Steering adds further drag and scrub.

That said, you've done an OUTSTANDING job on this thing! Grab yourself a larger engine, and finish it, knowing you've done a hell of a job creating what can be nothing short of the most unstoppable machine here, hands down. (Okay- it's an apples and oranges thing, but you've done very well). Be proud!
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2013, 4:26 pm

I think you may be running on one cylinder. They will run and sound ok with one. Both exhaust pipes getting hot?

How are you driving off the 820? Just one side? Is it locked?

Another problem is if you brake one side of the diff, the other side will spin twice as fast, putting a large load on the engine.
Back to top Go down
jeapadrenaline

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2013, 8:24 pm

cool machine. i am new here and signed up because i seen your "muskrat". i am in the process of building a very similar machine myself. i call mine "The Beast" . if you would like to see my build progress, please have a look here http://kramerville.net/mbn/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=12494&page=1
am running a 4 cyl 1.4 liter nissan, and i find it doesnt have enough power on start up or tight steering unless i am at full throttle. my build thread will discuss many of my problems, current and past.
enjoy the read, i will certainly be following your build as well.
good job.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2013, 10:16 pm

Im with stretch on this one, sounds like the motor is dropping a cylinder under load, I would check the plugs, the twins I had were bad about fouling plugs. I didnt realize why till I was older, its the carbs typically have problems with the needle not seating well once they sit or get old. then the fuel pump pumps the engine full of gas and the plugs foul. but they will keep running (somewhat) just because briggs are stubborn lol making it harder to figure out the problem.
Back to top Go down
frostypaws
frostypaws

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2013, 12:11 am

Stretch and Creepy, you guys might be right!  It didn't phase me until now, but a couple years back it was only running on one cylinder because of a tear in the plug wiring.  Next weekend, I'll make sure the plugs are firing.

Jeap, you have quite a big mochine there.  I like how it too is based on a Bombardier.  An automotive engine sure would be nice to have, but I'll make do with the 16hp.  I hope I don't run into track throwing problems like you experienced.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2013, 8:05 am

...and that's what I get for not actually WATCHING the video. Crappy internet...
Back to top Go down
frostypaws
frostypaws

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2013, 12:20 pm

Little update... so after further off-roading tests, a complete drivetrain change is in order for next year. When offroading the transmission is unreliable, popping out of gear every so often and the engine isn't capable of spinning track out in 1st gear. With that in mind I found a 1.6 Liter 5 speed manual Geo Tracker (Suzuki) I'm thinking as a drivetrain donor. I won't be able to get it until I save up enough $$$, so I probably wont mess with it until spring. Until then stay safe guys!
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2013, 12:31 pm

Looks great, bet that big ass diifernetial is stealing about 10-15 hp alone, the rest is for speed. also consider a big heavy flywheel with good momentum for builds like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"   All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat" - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All-Terrain Tractor "Muskrat"
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next