All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Empty
PostSubject: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 5:16 pm

This is a cheap 20$ Diesel engine boat tachometer, but it seems to update faster than some digital. Note: Make sure you get one that you can adjust the zero point on.
For this you can get a cheap bicycle computer with rpm counter on to use to zero the tach in.

Last edited by Thunderdivine on June 28th 2013, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 5:26 pm

That's pretty cool. Got a manufacturer/part number?

How does it work? Diesels don't have spark ignition systems. Do you have to install a magnetic sensor?
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 5:31 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
That's pretty cool. Got a manufacturer/part number?

How does it work? Diesels don't have spark ignition systems. Do you have to install a magnetic sensor?

Yea and no. I'll get ebay links later.
but its all connected with 3 wires and only one from the engine/ Alternator. So the tach reads the pps i guess from the AC light power source.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 5:34 pm

So how would it connect to a Diesel normally? Also from the alternator? Is there a way to adjust for the number of pulses of different alternators?

Too bad it only goes to 4K.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 5:45 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
So how would it connect to a Diesel normally? Also from the alternator? Is there a way to adjust for the number of pulses of different alternators?

Too bad it only goes to 4K.

Yes via the alternator "W" connector. But like i found out the "W" is just the AC pulse. aka our light source.

Nope, you cant adjust for different pulses, then you want a digital one.

You can get Diesel Universal Tachs ranging from 0-6k also, but i wanted this cheap one for now.

Heres the closest link i found, its in the UK ebay, with a fanzy chrome bezel Razz
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=221071660492&cmd=VIDESC
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 5:47 pm

Ahh. Very interesting. While I was awaiting your reply, I did a little research and learned more. I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed that a diesel tach would require the use of either a photo sensor, or a magnetic one.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 5:52 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Ahh. Very interesting. While I was awaiting your reply, I did a little research and learned more. I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed that a diesel tach would require the use of either a photo sensor, or a magnetic one.

Ya same here, and thats the beauty of it, its so easy.

Heres a link to mine: Euro version,
http://biltema.no/no/Bat/12-V/Elektrisk-tilbehor/Turteller-for-dieselmotorer-258005/

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2013, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.   How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to: Hook up a Diesel tachometer to a Briggs Opposed Twin or any Briggs with AC out.
Page 1 of 1