All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Pulling "Mower"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

mower - Pulling "Mower" Empty
PostSubject: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2013, 8:39 pm

I just got accepted into a welding school, and after making a "racing" mower, and an offroad one I thought the next logical step is a pulling tractor. I've Gotten a few idea in my head, and They seem legit. I imagine this thing is going to be more of a sand rail than a kart. I'll probably never use this thing for actually pulling, just a great way to blow some time, and learn to weld. Of course, my teacher will be inspecting EVERY weld on the frame, and I intend to BRACE THE CRUD out of the frame. Not sure on ALOT of the things yet, so it's up to you guys to give me a hand on this thing, this forum is where It's stay, pics and all, FOR ALL TO ENJOY!! I have some rough ideas, Talking over with the old lady...Dont you just love the fights were your talking about projects...and you have to explain things? Any ways, I'm hoping to find a Vtwin for this thing to give it a nice sound, and hopefully a 6 speed trans-axle, 3/4 shafts, 5/8 input shaft. Oil filled preferred.

Questions,comments, concerns? IDEAS?

Last edited by Murray modder on October 10th 2013, 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2013, 8:56 pm

self explainable axle? id suggest a 820 obviously, but if its a horizontal input i suggest a sears suburban axle, i saw someone pull more than 1K with it before it broke.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2013, 8:15 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
self explainable axle?  id suggest a 820 obviously, but if its a horizontal input i suggest a sears suburban axle, i saw someone pull more than 1K with it before it broke.
I'll be dropping a vertical engine in it, see where it takes me.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2013, 8:17 pm

This Build may come off VERY slow, as this is almost still an idea....that I'm bent on making a reality. I've been doing rough sketches here and there.

Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 6:10 pm

Talking to a guy about twenty minutes away from me about grabbing this thing for $100, Runs just fine from what I'm told.
mower - Pulling "Mower" 00r0r_10
Has a 14.5 engine thats running, But I think I'll look for a twin to set in it so I got a bit more torque. Has a 5 speed, No idea what type, but since the mower is a craftsman, I'm almost certain it's some sort of Peerless. The transaxle is one of the "Nut busters" which I may end up relocating the handle for.

Hows the deal on it?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 6:20 pm

Anytime you can get a good running tractor for $100, is a good deal. However, I am confused. You described a "pulling tractor", yet you show a buggy as an example (completely different animal), a big bull bar (heavy offroading/rockcrawling) and then a standard lawntractor which will be nearly entirely useless to you in order to build a puller, rockcrawler, or buggy with a V-twin (which this trator does not feature). Sooooo- What's it gonna be?

Now- in my mind, a puller needs to get a lot of torque to the ground, reliably under heavy stresses. Transaxle? No. I would be using a separate transmission (like a Peerless 700) and a live axle, maybe 1 1/4".
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 6:28 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Anytime you can get a good running tractor for $100, is a good deal. However, I am confused. You described a "pulling tractor", yet you show a buggy as an example (completely different animal), a big bull bar (heavy offroading/rockcrawling) and then a standard lawntractor which will be nearly entirely useless to you in order to build a puller, rockcrawler, or buggy with a V-twin (which this trator does not feature). Sooooo- What's it gonna be?

Now- in my mind, a puller needs to get a lot of torque to the ground, reliably under heavy stresses. Transaxle? No. I would be using a separate transmission (like a Peerless 700) and a live axle, maybe 1 1/4".

the gt tranny like the one i have get used alot to doc
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2013, 6:29 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:

Originally, I was going to completely do my own frame, (hence why this is in the "Off Topic Build" subforum) and the buggy was the frame SHAPE I was looking into. At this point, I'm just looking to make basically a tank of a mower. Probably run 3/4 tube under the sheet-metal so nothing bends. I actually saw your "Doc Locker" and may actually use that idea for this. I need to get the Topic moved/edited.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 8:26 pm

Pulled the trans axle off tonight, two of the bolts had built up rust and COULDN'T be removed, the completely fell apart when I tried to take them out with the Hex bit Spicer uses. I ended up drilling the heads off and just popping open the trans axle with 2 less bolts. I'll probably JD weld the holes once I weld up the differential. Also sen my tires off to be mounted on rims, and tubes put in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pulling "Mower"   mower - Pulling "Mower" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulling "Mower"
Page 1 of 1