All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Toast one fly wheel need help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Empty
PostSubject: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2013, 3:48 pm

I bought a replacement starter motor for my engine :

Its a powerbuilt 15.5 hp engine it came off

wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help T2ec1611

I finally got all my starter electrics working and have noticed that the starter is eating the teeth on the engine. Lots of people have informed me on this forum there is only two types and the teath are the same so i do not understand why this is happening.

wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help 12312810

I know need to buy a matching fly wheel and wonder if anyone can give me any advice please as only want to buy one and have it working

Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2013, 3:52 pm

Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2013, 5:04 pm

I have checked my engine number which is 85052311 I do not think this is the aluminum type flywheel but it shreaded just like it if this is the case is this why my metal gear chewed it up?
Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2013, 5:10 pm

it looks like the teeth dont mesh up right. maybe the spacers you put on the starter push it out to far
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2013, 5:15 pm

Hmm think engine is 270962 type which should have had a nylon drive. I have to take it off to see if it has a removable ring or if its a new flywheel . According to the documentation it was a 498896 flywheel
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2013, 8:37 pm

the issue looks like a steel gear... which it stronger then the aluminum or what ever it is, lol
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2013, 4:39 am

xxXMowerdudeXxx wrote:
the issue looks like a steel gear... which it stronger then the aluminum or what ever it is, lol
Whats so funny?

Unless its that no one in this forum pointed it out when I asked about starter problems :-(
Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2013, 8:54 am

Can you find a lawn mower junk yard/ lawn mower parts over there? I'd try to find another engine like it. Then i'd take the fly wheel and starter from that motor.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2013, 9:32 am

I believe the ring gear is replaceable, but the issue is whether you can get a replacement, and replace it. You may be better off to source an entire flywheel from a junked engine.

I am not aware of a tooth pitch difference between different models. It is also quite hard to diagnose what is going wrong in your case based on a couple of pictures. Up close and in person is really the only way to figure out why they aren't meshing properly. I have never had such an issue on an OPE engine, but- occasionally an automotive engine starter needs to be shimmed in order to mesh up properly.

When you get your new parts and bolt it all together, I strongly suggest rolling the pinion gear in by hand a few times to check for proper mesh before powering up the starter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toast one fly wheel need help   wheel - Toast one fly wheel need help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toast one fly wheel need help
Page 1 of 1