All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Empty
PostSubject: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2013, 7:46 pm

Well- since we have a shiny new review section, I guess I'll review my shiny new Welder! It's Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual. The 180 Dual is a rather versatile machine. Not only is it convertible from MIG (GMAW) to Flux Core (FCAW), it is also capable of dual input voltage, 120V or 208-230V.

I have had my Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual since May. I went a little overboard on price this time, but I figured:
1)I'm gonna treat myself for a change
2)It's powerful enough for any project I will ever have so therefore I will never have to buy another
3)Lincoln had a promotion that netted me a bunch o' goodies with the purchase (more on that later)
4)Income tax. My fairy godmother savings account! LOL
5)I subsequently sold my old welder for $350 to help offset the cost.

So- armed with about $1000.00 plus applicable governmental gouging, I tripped off to my local welding supplier. Was there a wallet in my pocket, or was I just happy to be there? ;)Please note- I'm not rich by any stretch. I recognized the situation for what it was- all the stars had aligned for a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity that was NOT going to be repeating itself in the foreseeable future.

I'll begin with the basic specifications, as copied from Lincoln's own documentation:
INPUT POWER
120/1/60 or 208/230/1/60
RATED OUTPUT
120V:90A/19.5V/20%
208V: 130A/17.6V/30%
230V: 130A/20V/30%
INPUT CURRENT
20A
OUTPUT RANGE
120V: 30-140 Amps DC
230V: 30-180 Amps DC
SOLID WIRE SIZE RANGE
.025-.035
CORED WIRE SIZE RANGE
.030-.045
WIRE FEED SPEED RANGE
DIMENSIONS (H X W X D) 14 in x 10.15 in x 18.16 in (357 mm x 258 mm x 472 mm)
NET WEIGHT 64.000 lbs (29.030 kg)

Weldable material thickness ranges from 24ga to 1/2". As is with any convertible machine, the thinner metals are best welded in GMAW mode, and the thickest in FCAW. This isn't a Lincoln thing, this is welding 101.

Some random thoughts-

I have used almost exclusively Lincoln welding machines since I learned to weld, and this machine is just wonderful. I love how Lincoln made this one (and the rest in this series) feature tool-free changeovers. Normally, switching processes would require a hex key or two, maybe a screwdriver. Not this time baby! The gun/cable assembly is retained with a thumbscrew, as is the wire guide. The drive roller wheel is retained with a slick little rotating retainer clip. The drive roll tensioner is an easy to finesse knob, and the spool brake is a wingnut as before, as are the output cable connections.

The Settings reference chart inside the access door is now full colour and very easy to read. Since this machine is so versatile, you could easily get lost trying to figure out baseline settings without a good reference chart.

The dual input voltage is just the cat's arse. Not only can I feed this 120 or 208-230v, switching over is easy. The unit ships with two detacheable power cords. Pick the one you need, plug it in, and burn. Goofproof. The dual power is a massive benefit to me. I'd rather use 230v when possible- more powerful and yet more efficient. But a dedicated 230v machines loses a LOT of portability. If you're not in range of the proper outlet, forget it. You ain't welding. I have a 230V plug in my garage, near the door. If whatever I'm working on can be brought nearby, fine. If not, I can plug in to any 120V receptacle wherever I need to be. Golden.

I LOVE the continuous heat control. Instead of the control being stepped (switch between settings), the heat control on this thing is infinitely variable from it's lowest setting to it's highest. Quite like a volume knob. Infinite heat control. Bonus.

This machine has plenty of power, makes a very stable arc, and the wire drive system is as smooth as a baby's bee-hind. Even with a couple of burn-backs, I've not had a bird's nest yet. Beauty.

No review would be complete without a negative point and I do indeed have a complaint. The unit ships with Lincoln's new Magnum Pro gun and cable assembly. At a glance, it looks just like the old Magnum 100L, except for the twist-lock connector for the trigger wires at the machine end. Sure enough, removing and replacing the gun and cable is made easier in that you no longer have to feed the gun trigger wires thru the front panel to the old spade connectors inside. Fine. But- I discovered that while it LOOKS just like the old 100L, ALL the consumables are different. The threads in the tube, Gas diffuser, contact tips, and nozzles are different. So- the VAST supply of spare diffusers, nozzles and tips wouldn't fit! AAARRRGGGHHHHH

I contacted my Lincoln dealer and had a long conversation with him. Unfortunately, this IS one of those cases of a manufacturer trying to force you into buying more stuff. The Magnum 100L and the Magnum Pro are completely interchangeable as far as ampacity and the cable termination are concerned.

Since I had all these accessories including a brand new, never used Magnum 100L gun, I did the following. Where the trigger wires exit the gun, there's about 6" of wire before the twist-lock connector. I cut these wires and installed both male and female spade style quick connects. These are the same spades the old 100L used to connect to the board inside the machine. Now, I can plug my 100L gun into the twistlock connectors, and use all of my NOS 100L consumables with my 100L gun. Problemo solved. If you do not have a stockpile of 100L stuff that you are too cheap to discard, this will not affect you.

The package is very nice and sturdy, and like all the newer series features a full length aluminum carry handle. The access door hinges are upgraded from the old lunchbox style, too.

Oh yeah- the aforementioned goodies I got in the promotion. A very nice canvas Lincoln duffel bag containing the following: An automatic variable shade helmet ranging from DIN 9-13, with a "grind" mode. A treated cotton welding jacket. A pair of leather welding gloves and a pair of leather "steelworker" gloves. They are high-dexterity "Mechanic's" style gloves, but leather and more durable for fabrication. A pair of safety glasses and a sticker sheet were in there, too. O- and a really nice leather doo rag, too!

The bottom line? Recommended if you can clear the bucks. I did, because 1) I know darn good and well I won't be able to do THAT again, and 2) I won't have to. I know Lincoln quality. This machine WILL last a lifetime.
Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual 300x300

Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual IMG_8309

Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual 300x300
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2013, 10:10 pm

This is the machine I have so desperately wanted for quit some time now but being 18 it will be a while before I will be able to afford one. Very good purchase.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2013, 9:07 am

looks good doc, thats alot of dough though. i do like your goodie bag though. really like that duffle bag.. i think i'll stick with my hobart handler for a while.. always have liked miller and hobart
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2013, 12:08 pm

Good tools ain't cheap. Glad to see you have the standard controls. I was sent to welding school for a month, they had the uber fancy linclons, with programmable settings for whatever you were welding. It would set the wire speed for you, which I hated. I can weld much nice with the miller 200 I have at home, with the old fashioned settings.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2013, 6:26 pm

mine dosent have WFS settins though. voltage/amperage and WFS is combined to one knob, for beginers
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2013, 7:16 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
Good tools ain't cheap.  Glad to see you have the standard controls.  I was sent to welding school for a month, they had the uber fancy linclons, with programmable settings for whatever you were welding.  It would set the wire speed for you, which I hated.  I can weld much nice with the miller 200 I have at home, with the old fashioned settings.
It\s not very hard for me to imagine how frustrating automatic settings would be for me. I'm a manual kinda guy, I want to control what I'm doing, not the other way around. Old school maybe, but dangit, I will decide when is best to shift gears, lock the brakes, or how fast I need that filler wire to come out of the gun. I want to control the system, not have the system control me.

Yes- it's a lovely machine, and I'm happy as hell with it. For anyone shopping out a new buzzbox, consider this series. If your budget is weaker (as mine NORMALLY is) there are plenty of other machines in the series that will fit your needs quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2013, 7:25 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
It's not very hard for me to imagine how frustrating automatic settings would be for me. I'm a manual kinda guy, I want to control what I'm doing, not the other way around. Old school maybe, but dangit, I will decide when is best to shift gears, lock the brakes, or how fast I need that filler wire to come out of the gun. I want to control the system, not have the system control me.
exactly! i hate needing more wire but not more heat, so i burn through... i messed up when i asked for mine. should have gotten the handler 140
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2013, 9:59 am

willis923 wrote:
exactly! i hate needing more wire but not more heat, so i burn through... i messed up when i asked for mine. should have gotten the handler 140
Well, you could always consider upgrading. A good quality, brand name welding machine tends to keep it's value well, and there's always a market for good used machines.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2013, 12:19 am

yeah, i would love to upgrade, but A-i do not have 220v readily avalible in my "shelterlogic-garage in an box" B- i do not have the funds yet.. im saving up for the hobart handler 140 or something like that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual   Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lincoln Power Mig 180 Dual
Page 1 of 1