All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Engine Paint?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WilliesBuilds
WilliesBuilds

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2013, 4:06 pm

Can I paint a briggs engine? will it affect the cooling? and another question does rust affect the stators performance?
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2013, 4:13 pm

WilliesBuilds wrote:
Can I paint a briggs engine? will it affect the cooling? and another question does rust affect the stators performance?
Yes you can paint a briggs engine if you clean it very well with hi temp paint.. Rust can affect the stators performance by not allowing it to make a solid connection one a pass by. But if it still works.. the difference is minimal.
Back to top Go down
WilliesBuilds
WilliesBuilds

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2013, 4:20 pm

I get free black engine paint here at my job so I guess ill try that out and see whats up . and i removed my flywheel and stator and they were extremely rusty so I was wondering how that would affect
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2013, 4:27 pm

if your worried about it.. take either a stiff wire brush thats not super course.. or some 120 grit sand paper and just scuff the rust off.. Engine paint will decrease the engine value.. but if you don't plan on selling it.. give it a wire..
I polished a briggs 14.5 for a old client who needed the governor fixed.. so he had me polish it up for his tractor. It turned out pretty good.. i don't know how long it will last tho.. Because he died a month later and his sons took it even tho i told them the old man wanted me to have his "baby" which was a Simplicity 6012 i think??? Same thing my buddy just bought...
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2013, 4:29 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
if your worried about it.. take either a stiff wire brush thats not super course.. or some 120 grit sand paper and just scuff the rust off.. Engine paint will decrease the engine value.. but if you don't plan on selling it.. give it a wire..
I polished a briggs 14.5 for a old client who needed the governor fixed.. so he had me polish it up for his tractor. It turned out pretty good.. i don't know how long it will last tho.. Because he died a month later and his sons took it even tho i told them the old man wanted me to have his "baby" which was a Simplicity 6012 i think??? Same thing my buddy just bought...
Thats why i dont mess with any of my engines paint wise..... i knew if i cant sell the tractor as a whole (if i ever want to some day) i could sell the engine
Back to top Go down
WilliesBuilds
WilliesBuilds

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2013, 4:37 pm

i will be posting a picture of my painted fly wheel and a pic of the engine as it sits now and I will post it in my build thread
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2013, 5:09 pm

WilliesBuilds wrote:
I have heard indications over the years that a light coat of flat black enamel actually improves thermal transfer efficiency. The increase would be minimal at best, but yes- you certainly can paint it- avoid the temptation to apply multiple coats or allow a heavy build.

It would take a LOT of rust to hinder either the stator or the ignition coil. To be safe, clean it up a bit and call it good.
Back to top Go down
WilliesBuilds
WilliesBuilds

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2013, 8:07 am

yeah doc im gonna have to try that then lets see how it goes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine Paint? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Paint?   Engine Paint? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine Paint?
Page 1 of 1