All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How to determine speed?

Go down 
+3
redlinemotorsportts
Doug
Jerbear0612
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

speed - How to determine speed? Empty
PostSubject: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2013, 7:36 pm

It might have been asked here before but I couldn't find it guys. How would you calculate the speed of a tractor if you know the transaxles gear ratios aswell as pulley size.trying to do some calculations for speed before I go spending lots of money on multiple pulley swaps. Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2013, 8:03 pm

Most reliable way I have found is to go for it, either with a tailgater in a car or GPS.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2013, 8:07 pm

Jerbear0612 wrote:
It might have been asked here before but I couldn't find it guys. How would you calculate the speed of a tractor if you know the transaxles gear ratios aswell as pulley size.trying to do some calculations for speed before I go spending lots of money on multiple pulley swaps. Thanks guys
It would be easy peasy if you didnt have vari drive. kinda a guessing game with them.
With a normal calculator you need
-engine highest rpm (normal running)
-highest transaxle gear ratio (example 8:1)
-what pulleys obviously
-what size rear tires.

But the vari drive is basically a cvt clutch, one belt expands, one contracts.

But in, if you put a pulley on the rear that was twice as small as stock, would it be twice as fast?
Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2013, 8:13 pm

The easiest way to do it is get the free speedometer app on your smart phone. If you have a smart phone lol.
Back to top Go down
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2013, 11:51 pm

I do have a smartphone. I'm not trying to determine the speed of my varidrive tractor, guess the cats kinda out of the bag I picked up another tractor from my towns dump for free because the deck had rusted out on it. It's a craftsman with a 20hp command vtwin with a 6 speed rear end:D guy even left half a tank of good gas in it for me lol 
Back to top Go down
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2013, 11:53 pm

I'm attempting to make a racer out of it for a winter project
Back to top Go down
GenevaCustoms
GenevaCustoms

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2013, 7:45 am

How fast do you want to go? I have a six speed spicer, 13.5 hp briggs with the pulley sizes of 6 inches to 5 1/2 inches, and with 20 inch rear tires it goes 15-20.... Well 17 wide open(not governed) but it was still accelerating I just didn't wana blow it up haha so for a racer? Maybe 30-40mph ? I'd say a 8 inch on front and maybe a 3 inch on back. Seems like itd be pretty damn quick with that, specially with 20s on the bwck
Back to top Go down
motorizedeverything
motorizedeverything

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2013, 8:17 am

we actually already had a thread about this

https://www.atltf.com/t2220-speed-calculation
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2013, 1:42 pm

Its really easy to calculate the speed of your tractor use the GPS on your phone. It will tell you teh speed you are travelling
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to determine speed?   speed - How to determine speed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to determine speed?
Page 1 of 1