All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What is a good way to clean out a carb?

Go down 
+6
TroyBilt Pony
Doc Sprocket
T-Dub13
Craftsman1998
slim67
matt-man
10 posters
AuthorMessage
matt-man
matt-man

carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Empty
PostSubject: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 11:45 am

Ok so I have the carb all taken apart and it is disgusting inside I've heard of soaking it in diesel fuel but what other ways are there to soak the carb in to get it clean?
Back to top Go down
slim67

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 11:59 am

if you have access to a parts washer then put it in something and let it soak. If not use carb cleaner in an aerosol can and a pan. Use compressed air if you have it and blow it out. Be careful not to blow the needle seat out and lose it.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 12:33 pm

Get some carb cleaner, paper towels, wire and a old bucket with a paint brush and some gas or kerosene in it.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 1:21 pm

You can use a torch tip cleaner set to help clean out the jets and the passageways. A small brass wire brush works well for the larger surfaces.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 1:39 pm

slim67 wrote:
if you have access to a parts washer then put it in something and let it soak. If not use carb cleaner in an aerosol can and a pan. Use compressed air if you have it and blow it out. Be careful not to blow the needle seat out and lose it.
This would work but I don't have access to a parts washer or compressed air
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 1:39 pm

T-Dub13 wrote:
You can use a torch tip cleaner set to help clean out the jets and the passageways.  A small brass wire brush works well for the larger surfaces.  
I don't have any of those things, what else would work?
Back to top Go down
slim67

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 2:44 pm

Craftsman1998 wrote:
Get some carb cleaner, paper towels, wire and a old bucket with a paint brush and some gas or kerosene in it.

Do you have any of these items that are mentioned here?
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 2:46 pm

slim67 wrote:
Craftsman1998 wrote:

Do you have any of these items that are mentioned here?
Yes, I have them all
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 4:12 pm

Then try that thats how i clean my carbs
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 4:44 pm

Take one of those paper or plastic covered wire ties you use for garbage bags, and strip the paper or plastic off. Gives you a good bit of wire to work with.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 5:08 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Take one of those paper or plastic covered wire ties you use for garbage bags, and strip the paper or plastic off. Gives you a good bit of wire to work with.
Thats a good idea, thanks for the tip Doc
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 7:03 pm

I've done that as well
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 10:07 pm

You can get torch tip cleaners at Home Depot, TSC or anywhere that sells welding equipment.  Small wire brushes are everywhere, hardware store etc..  Just make sure you get a wood handle or a plastic one may melt depending on the cleaner you use (solvent etc).  Doc's twist-tie idea is a great one.  I've used random pieces of wire in a pinch.  Also, I like scotch-brite pads for putting a nice finish on metal, cleans out the bowl nicely.   Cool

When I'm restoring a vintage motorcycle carb, I disassemble it and put all parts in a bath of Pine-Sol for a day. DO NOT PUT IN THE STEEP PARTS THOUGH! You will be amazed at the new looking carb that comes out. Soak longer for really badly stained and caked components. Wink   Cool 
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 10:48 pm

Soakin in Pine sol is one of the ones I've heard but never tried
Back to top Go down
bbuckler
bbuckler

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 12:19 am

I soak mine in white vinegar overnight and then I use a bread tie to finish clean it.
Back to top Go down
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 1:53 pm

this may sound strange, but i boil all my carbs both on lawn tractor carbs, full sized tractor carbs and car carbs.

STEPS:

1. empty all gas from the carb

2. Seperate bowl, and float assembly (upper carb for updrafts and opp. twin engines)

3. get a pot and add water

4. add a spoonful of lemon juice and bring to a boil

5. place carb in boiling water ( NOT FLOAT and ASSEMBLY THIS IS IMPORTANT) and let sit there for 20-30 minutes

6. take carb out and let it cool

7. Season to taste and Vwala! a Carb De Cleanest with a side of gunk water  Very Happy 

ANYWAY... boiling the carb sxpands the metal and cleans every nook and cranny. The water will be dark brown to black by the time its done. be sure to dry and wipe down with gas so nno rust froms on steel parts

Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 1:56 pm

Cubhorse80 wrote:
this may sound strange, but i boil all my carbs both on lawn tractor carbs, full sized tractor carbs and car carbs.

STEPS:

1. empty all gas from the carb

2. Seperate bowl, and float assembly (upper carb for updrafts and opp. twin engines)

3. get a pot and add water

4. add a spoonful of lemon juice and bring to a boil

5. place carb in boiling water ( NOT FLOAT and ASSEMBLY THIS IS IMPORTANT) and let sit there for 20-30 minutes

6. take carb out and let it cool

7. Season to taste and Vwala! a Carb De Cleanest with a side of gunk water  Very Happy 

ANYWAY... boiling the carb sxpands the metal and cleans every nook and cranny. The water will be dark brown to black by the time its done. be sure to dry and wipe down with gas so nno rust froms on steel parts

Thanks for the tip, right now I have it soaking in a bucket of diesel fuel and I'll see how this works and if it doesnt clean it then I will use your method
Back to top Go down
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 2:00 pm

ive never came across anything better than boiling.  cheers and its easy too
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2014, 7:26 am

Since you dont have air If I were you I would swish it all around in CLEAN gas. Or buy a rebuild kit on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2014, 9:27 am

you can use jet dry in the water... it's a great degreaser
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is a good way to clean out a carb?   carb - What is a good way to clean out a carb? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is a good way to clean out a carb?
Page 1 of 1