All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

simplicity not always starting with key

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
petez13
petez13

Simplicity - simplicity not always starting with key Empty
PostSubject: simplicity not always starting with key   Simplicity - simplicity not always starting with key Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 2:02 pm

Hello Guys, I have a problem. I have a simplicity 4208 with a 8hp Briggs and it doesn't always start. I just bought a new key switch and that didn't fix the problem. None of the wires are corroded that I can tell. Someone please help soon!!!!
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: simplicity not always starting with key   Simplicity - simplicity not always starting with key Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 3:51 pm

Let's start with the basics... Do you still have all the factory safety switches in place? Might have a bad one. How about the solenoid, have you looked at that lately? Over time, the solenoid contacts will start to burn, and that will cause a no-start.
Back to top Go down
petez13
petez13

PostSubject: Re: simplicity not always starting with key   Simplicity - simplicity not always starting with key Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2014, 7:08 am

No, i have bypassed them all by twisting them together. I can turn the key to on and it does nothing. The guy that had it before me had put a toggle switch from the positive battery terminal to the middle terminal of a 3-way toggle switch and another wire going straight to the solinoid wired back to the on terminal on the toggle switch. Was he trying to bypass the solinoid? Thanks
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: simplicity not always starting with key   Simplicity - simplicity not always starting with key Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2014, 10:33 am

I'd just rewire it completely, heres a thread about the wiring diagram.
Back to top Go down
ratcatcher
ratcatcher

PostSubject: Re: simplicity not always starting with key   Simplicity - simplicity not always starting with key Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2014, 2:20 pm

I'd second the re wire comment, having only just recently started playing with mowers here in uk, and up until yesterday had never in my life tried to re wire anything, after watching fearlessfront's how to video, I took the plunge and ripped every bit of the loom and safety switches out and started from scratch, and yes it actually works

https://youtu.be/n6QV_gSwPek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: simplicity not always starting with key   Simplicity - simplicity not always starting with key Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

simplicity not always starting with key
Page 1 of 1