All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

19.5 HP B&S problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
D.U.B.S.
D.U.B.S.

19.5 HP B&S problem Empty
PostSubject: 19.5 HP B&S problem   19.5 HP B&S problem Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 9:36 am

Hi, I have a grass cutter that has a 19.5 HP B&S engine. This engine has developed an odd problem. I bought a battery for it last season, and it has been operating at its peak. All of a sudden, it is stone dead. A multimeter reads 0.00. So I decide to jump it. As I hooked up the connections, the engine started to turn over, and the key was in the off position.
I don't understand why this would be happening, The engine should not turn over when I jump the battery, unless something is wrong. Can anyone help to point me in a direction what would help to solve this problem?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: 19.5 HP B&S problem   19.5 HP B&S problem Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 9:50 am

Something is certainly wrong! You may have a defective key switch, or a defective starter solenoid. Let's try to narrow this down. On teh solenoid, there's one or two small connections in addition to the two large ones. Disconnect the small connection(s) and hook up the jumpers again. If it STILL tries to start, (with the key off) then I think your solenoid is stuck on). If that made a difference, I believe it's the key switch.
Back to top Go down
D.U.B.S.
D.U.B.S.

PostSubject: Re: 19.5 HP B&S problem   19.5 HP B&S problem Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 12:19 pm

Many thanks, I will try that. I am very glad that I have some direction now!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 19.5 HP B&S problem   19.5 HP B&S problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

19.5 HP B&S problem
Page 1 of 1