All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

newbie questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cwoods333

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 5:07 pm

I'm new and want to build myself a mower. Should I look for a certain brand or just go for decent cheap one? I know not to get a hydro but how do I tell if it is? And lastly how hard would it be to lock one with a stick welder because that all I have.
Back to top Go down
wheelhorsea90

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: reply   newbie questions Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 6:32 pm

I personally prefer wheel horses (the older ones) A hydro doesn't shift gears But if you could get a cheap craftsman or such that would be a good starter project but idk about the last question.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 7:22 pm

I prefer Craftsmans or Murrays It all sort-of depends on where you are and what you have around you.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 10:07 pm

You should be able to tell a hydro by looking for large petals, like other then a 90's common craftsman clutch petal, anything that looks bigger then those clutch petals, is most likey petals for a hydro. Something that says "auto" or something is hydro. and if it has a side shift lever if it doesnt say 1,2,3,4,5 or sometimes 6 numbers on it for speeds, its most likey a hydro. Shifters in between the legs (nutbusters) arnt hydros.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   newbie questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

newbie questions
Page 1 of 1