All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 8/19/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 
 

 Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Mon May 26, 2014 11:06 pm

My tractor is a Roper made Craftsman GT-18 that my uncle gave to me for free. It has a 18 hp oppy, and the Peerless 633 3 speed with hi/lo so it really has 6 speeds. This thing has always been a piece of crap from the day I got it. I haven't done many mods at all, but I will show them to you guys. It has been completely rewired with brand new connectors and wire, heat shrink tubing on every connection using the key switch. I also replaced the disgusting waterlogged, cracked rotted seat foam with some chair pads from Wal-Mart covered in gorilla tape, I ran out of tape, but you will get the idea. Currently it needs a starter but that has been ordered, so here are a bunch of pictures for you guys.



I sanded off the REALY rough rust and painted the rotted out seat pan.


These are the seat cushions, they were like $7. Way cheaper than a seat.


I took two cushions and covered them in gorilla tape.


I ran out of tape but you get the idea.


Rewired with key switch.


Beefy @ss peerless 633 rear end.


The heart of the beast!


Back when stuff was built to last. Made in USA!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 28
Join date : 2014-01-12
Posts : 904
Forum Rep : 1
Location : Defiance, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 pm

can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun Very Happy good luck with it!
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Tue May 27, 2014 5:15 am

@Moose wrote:
can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun :Dgood luck with it!
You are darn right it is sturdy, i dropped the whole tractor from two feet straight onto the rear end.  Shocked I expected to see gear oil and chunks of aluminum, but it was fine!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 28
Join date : 2014-01-12
Posts : 904
Forum Rep : 1
Location : Defiance, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 am

@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
@Moose wrote:
can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun :Dgood luck with it!
You are darn right it is sturdy, i dropped the whole tractor from two feet straight onto the rear end.  Shocked I expected to see gear oil and chunks of aluminum, but it was fine!
Lol yeah I did that and I used to get the 18hp kohler on our last tractor going as fast as itd go and pop wheelies in 3rd high when I was younger, when I was at pugs I challenged TRB to a pull off (which ended up being TRB and Stretch) it didnt end well but in first low even with a split diff she dug in and lifted the tractor right up!
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2013-04-08
Posts : 883
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Central Pa

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Tue May 27, 2014 5:36 pm

@Moose wrote:
@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
@Moose wrote:
can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun :Dgood luck with it!
You are darn right it is sturdy, i dropped the whole tractor from two feet straight onto the rear end.  Shocked I expected to see gear oil and chunks of aluminum, but it was fine!
Lol yeah I did that and I used to get the 18hp kohler on our last tractor going as fast as itd go and pop wheelies in 3rd high when I was younger, when I was at pugs I challenged TRB to a pull off (which ended up being TRB and Stretch) it didnt end well but in first low even with a split diff she dug in and lifted the tractor right up!

Do you have footage Moose???
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 28
Join date : 2014-01-12
Posts : 904
Forum Rep : 1
Location : Defiance, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Tue May 27, 2014 6:16 pm

@LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
@Moose wrote:
@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
@Moose wrote:
can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun :Dgood luck with it!
You are darn right it is sturdy, i dropped the whole tractor from two feet straight onto the rear end.  Shocked I expected to see gear oil and chunks of aluminum, but it was fine!
Lol yeah I did that and I used to get the 18hp kohler on our last tractor going as fast as itd go and pop wheelies in 3rd high when I was younger, when I was at pugs I challenged TRB to a pull off (which ended up being TRB and Stretch) it didnt end well but in first low even with a split diff she dug in and lifted the tractor right up!

Do you have footage Moose???
Lol junkstar and 3dmachines do but I was to busy watching my tractor wheelie away to get any :p
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sat May 31, 2014 7:05 pm

Updates! Me and a couple of friends tore the tractor down to the frame, and we have started to paint it. We are going for a canadian flag theme!! Do you guys think the tractor would look better with white fenders and red stripes. Or red fenders and white stripes? Also I am having some engine trouble. It runs great at WOT (2.5 turns out on mixture screw) however it runs real rough and likes to stall at lower RPM's especially right after you put it in gear. Any suggestions? Thanks.


Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 28
Join date : 2014-01-12
Posts : 904
Forum Rep : 1
Location : Defiance, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sat May 31, 2014 7:47 pm

lookin good!
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 546
Forum Rep : 0
Location : north carolina

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sat May 31, 2014 8:44 pm

love the red man good job
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sat May 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks guys! Even after wasting a whole can of white on my fenders I am going to paint them red with some white stripes.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2013-09-15
Posts : 467
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Greensburg, PA

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:14 pm

paint came out really nice!
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Finally done painting, it didnt come out perfect but I am happy with it. After a couple cans of red and whie, a lot of masking tape, a lot of sanding, and many hours me and my friends got it gone. We even went mudding in a field across from the house, and the turf saver tires did surprisingly well in the mud. This tractor is far from done so expect some new tires and a locked diff in the future. Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

P.S. sorry it is a little dirty, but I had only hosed it off because the fenders were COVERED in mud  Twisted Evil 



Back to top Go down
Angchor
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 60
Join date : 2014-04-14
Posts : 491
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Index, Washington

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:15 pm

@TokyoDrift99 wrote:
Finally done painting,

You need a leaf.

Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Yeah I know, I think I am going to put a white leaf on each side panel.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2013-09-15
Posts : 467
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Greensburg, PA

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:36 pm

that came out nice! Ya you need that leaf
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:40 pm

@camomanusa wrote:
that came out nice! Ya you need that leaf
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 pm

I have the transmission out ready to be locked, and I am actually getting somewhere on with this thing. I got a bike frame for free from school, so I plan to make a front bumper with that. I also have some electrical questions.... I threw away the "diode assembly" thinking it was useless, but for some reason it seems to cook batteries and I need to try to make a new diode thing. I looked in the book and my engine has a "tri circuit" alternator. One wire split in to two, rectified to 5 amps on each side. I'll include a drawing of what I think the whole deal should look like. Are the diodes in proper orientation? What diodes should I get, obviously 5 amps, but what voltage? I think I should try to get 15 volts, because I feel like the alternator outputs more than 12 volts wide open. Thanks.


Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 546
Forum Rep : 0
Location : north carolina

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:42 pm

hay tokyo drift has you done anymore work to it
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2014-03-28
Posts : 111
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:12 pm

@kawasaki220 wrote:
hay tokyo drift has you done anymore work to it
The Trans is out ready to be locked, but I need to buy a welder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   

Back to top Go down
 
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.
» Building a trail tractor, in less than one week!
» My 2 Stroke Trail Tractor
» Craftsman Off Road/ High Speed Tractor Build
» 1998 Craftsman GT 5000

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road/Rally Tractor Project & Builds-
Jump to: