All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Angchor
Angchor

Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2014, 2:49 pm

Has anyone here dealt with the craftsman/kohler antibackfire solenoid?

This is not your ordinary ABS which has a needle sticking out the end that you can just cut off.

Here is a pic of the solenoid.
Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Soleno10

Here is a repost of a drawing I made that kind of explains the solenoid.
Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Cabv10

To explain...

Most B&S carbs have a tube that goes up from the center of the bowl. There is a jet in there, that the needle from your ABS fits into. When the solenoid is activated, the needle is drawn down, allowing gas to enter the carb. When the power is turned off, the needle snaps back upward, and seals that jet, so no gas can enter the carb.

Well, on this one, that jet is a part of the solenoid body.

Here is another pic with the jet removed.
Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Jet10

I have several thoughts here, about what I could do.

1. I could get a bolt, and drill it. But then I'd have to have exactly the right length bolt. I'd have to drill it sideways for the gas to enter. Then I'd have to drill it lengthwise. Then I'd have to tap that hole for the jet.

That's a bit more precision work than I'd like to do.

2. I could drill through this one, where the gas is supposed to enter. But I think the 'pin' in the middle is too large. I'd drill through, but the pin would still be there.

3. I could apply 12 volts. Then while the pin is in the retracted position, drill another hole, across, in a cross pattern with the original supply holes. And push as small a pin as I can, through that hole. Then cut it off flush, so I can screw the solenoid back in.

Kind of liking option number 3 the best. It'll be difficult, but not as difficult as option 1. And not as permanent or damaging as option 2. If I ever want to go back to using the solenoid, all I have to do is remove my pin.

Has anyone done anything different with this type?
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm

Ok, here is the solution I have gone with.

Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Abpin10

What I did was to apply 12 volts to draw the pin back.

Then I picked a drill bit that was a little bit smaller than a piece of 12ga romex copper wire.

Drilled a hole in just one of the sides.

Took a piece of the copper wire. Filed a point on it so it was like a nail. Then drove it into the hole I had drilled.

Kept pounding until the copper had expanded and was good and stuck. Like a rivet, but it takes up a lot less room, so blocks less flow.

Then cut the copper off flush.  

It's worth a try.

I have no idea how soon I am going to be trying to start this engine again. When I do, I'll be trying this out.

Reason for doing this is because I do not want to be relaint on having a battery on board.

I'll have a battery, anyway. But the charging system on that engine does not work. If the battery runs down, I want to be able to either jump start it, or push start it, or recoil start it, and just drive it home.

I figured this would be easier and cheaper than tearing apart the charging system and buying parts. LOL
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 1:25 am

alll i had to do on mine waas cut it
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 1:50 am

richie thomas wrote:
alll i had to do on mine waas cut it

Yours looked like this?
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 2:05 am

was a couple years ago, but i think so, got a pic of the shroud? ill tell you if its the same engine
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 2:25 am

richie thomas wrote:
was a couple years ago, but i think so, got a pic of the shroud? ill tell you if its the same engine

Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Shroud10

I think you had the other kind of solenoid. There is no way to "just cut this off".
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 3:39 am

mine was the blacktop and a 16 hp, motor had amazing torque for a single, loved it, sold it about 6 months ago to a buddy
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 7:00 am

Been awhile since I had such a Kohler in my hands. Am I safe to assume that you could not simply remove the plunger entirely?

Because when I come across this type here, it's a simple matter of opening it up and removing the plunger and spring.

Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Fuel_solenoid
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 3:30 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Been awhile since I had such a Kohler in my hands. Am I safe to assume that you could not simply remove the plunger entirely?

Because when I come across this type here, it's a simple matter of opening it up and removing the plunger and spring.

Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Fuel_solenoid

Thank you VERY much!

You are safe to assume that.

The picture you link is exactly the same solenoid.

Howsomever... That is probably the original solenoid.

And what I have must be the aftermarket version. It is made in such a way that it cannot be taken apart.

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 7:07 pm

Well... crap. Glad you found a workable solution, then!
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitimeSun 17 Aug 2014, 8:05 pm

Well the Anti-Bull$hit Solinoid strikes again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid   Kohler - Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman/Kohler ABSolenoid
Page 1 of 1