All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

The Basics of Paint Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerThe Basics of Paint Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
Haspin Acres Rally 2019 June 5th - 9th... Join this growing event! Details Here!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

The Basics of Paint

Go down 
AuthorMessage
camomanusa
Skilled
Skilled
camomanusa

Forum Rep : 0

The Basics of Paint Empty
PostSubject: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 10:38 pm

So after much time of realizing that i have no knowledge about paints, i figured id ask about it on hear.
I never understood the differences from the normal cans of paint and enamels. Is there benfits of using an enamel over basic paint? Thats all i can really say though for now because i cant think of anything else, but id love to hear about everybodys knowledge about paint and of the topic. Also what kinds of paint are good for use on a specific part of a tractor compared to using a different type.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
Moose

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 11:02 pm

I have a basic knowledge of paint I guess though I mostly rattlecan so from my experience: enamels are harder than your regular paint when dry and dry to a glossy finish some require primer and all that fun stuff but others dont (read the label) basic paints you can pretty much just spray on anything and hope for the best they can be in a variety of finishes gloss to matte and can be sprayed on pretty much anything. basic paints usually require a clear coat to achieve a nice hard skin.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
Skilled
Skilled
camomanusa

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 11:04 pm

so enamels pretty much regular paint with clear coat in it?
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Expert
Expert
Craftsman1998

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 11:38 am

@camomanusa wrote:
so enamels pretty much regular paint with clear coat in it?
Yep enamel paint has clear coat in it but you can put clear coat on top of the enamel paint for more protection but its not necessary
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
Moose

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 1:44 pm

I'd use enamel for tractor stuff most of your tractor companies do now a days I think
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 18

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Before I say anything else- I am a painter by trade.

"Enamel" is a general term, used to describe the "hardness" of a coating. I gotta be honest here- this "clear" thing, is a new one on me.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Expert
Expert
TheBeal

Forum Rep : 60

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 am

Maybe there ought to be a writeup/informational/how-to post about painting?
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
Moose

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:01 am

Doc if you do a write up on how to get better adhesion for tractors I will uhhh... not post awkward sentences?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 18

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 10:46 am

Hehehehe... LOL- Sorry...

I suppose a write-up could be done. But at the most basic level- you're not gonna believe this- read the label! Yup. Scary, huh? Very Happy

They all tell you to have the surface clean, and free of dirt, oil, grease, etc. Loose, cracked, or peeling paint should be scraped and sanded off, etc. When, and with what product to prime, temperature, humidity, etc- it's all there on the label!

Aww heck... Maybe I WILL do something...

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master
Moose

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 11:50 am

Should do a basic level a intermediate and a semi pro level :p
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 51

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Getting whatever your painting clean before you spray it is important, which has already been mentioned. You can get special cleaner for that which you wipe on with a clean rag. I don't like to touch the parts before spraying them because some times the oils from your skin will mess things up. Temperature can be an issue if it's extremely cold or really hot in direct sun light. Like Doc said, that's on the label. I've had a lot of trouble with humidity. Mostly with black paint. If it's really humid out (such as a hot day right after a rain) the black turns gray when it drys. I couldn't figure out why for quite a while. But...I guess that's why.

The Basics of Paint 1023291?$gif$***Simplicity Off Road Research & Development*** #64 The Basics of Paint 1023291?$gif$
Simplicity Adventure Edition
Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Basics of Paint   The Basics of Paint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Basics of Paint
Page 1 of 1