All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)

Go down 
+8
redlinemotorsportts
jamcco
Ghyde97
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
kawasaki220
mr.modified
Thunderdivine
Carshowkid
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 11:55 am

TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
ok that's a no, lol - That's expensive. The shipping would probably kill me too Very Happy

It probably would. I'm just going to watch eBay for a nice used one. As long as there aren't any cracks in the casting I'll be happy.

Yeah but aren't they very big also?

They're a bit longer than my hand, about as wide. I can take a picture of one when I get home. My dad has a black one on his Volvo.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 3:32 pm

Anything recently?
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 3:59 pm

Ghyde97 wrote:
Anything recently?

Not really. I'm waiting on an engine. Once I get the engine I'll be doing lights. Or at least starting on lights. I won't be doing headlights until I get my bumper done, which won't be until I make a hood, which won't be until I get my front suspension all done up.

Lol. So basically my next goals are engine and front suspension.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 5:33 pm

Idk about where you live but right now there is like 3 briggs motors on my local craigslist for under $100. It might be worth looking on yours just to see. Or even checking a local junkyard they have a lot of mowers at the yard near my house all with motors that have good compression.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 6:13 pm

Ghyde97 wrote:
Idk about where you live but right now there is like 3 briggs motors on my local craigslist for under $100. It might be worth looking on yours just to see. Or even checking a local junkyard they have a lot of mowers at the yard near my house all with motors that have good compression.

I live in FL. The only stuff I see on CL is either junk, or overpriced. I'm going up to Palatka to trade a kid the rest of the mower I bought the other week for an opposed Kohler.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2014, 2:26 pm

So in school I'm starting to do research for my senior project. It's supposed to tie into my academy, which is automotive. So I had the great idea of doing my project on "The Design and Application of an Off-Road Vehicle". What do you guys think? Basically I'm going to take most of the stuff I've learned from playing with my tractor and make a project out of it. Doing all the research will help me out a bunch, too. I also plan on going pretty in-depth.
Back to top Go down
jamcco
jamcco

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2014, 7:47 pm

Sounds alot like what I'm planning on doing for my senior project.......except I'm going to do something with some sort of car.......If you're going to spend senior year working on a project, might as well make it fun.. Cool

Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2014, 7:58 pm

jamcco wrote:
Sounds alot like what I'm planning on doing for my senior project.......except I'm going to do something with some sort of car.......If you're going to spend senior year working on a project, might as well make it fun..  Cool

Well if I wanted to do what I want to do to my truck, I'd have well over 5k invested. I want a $500 lowering kit, includes spindles, blocks, and shocks. New rims/tires, that'll set me back about $1,200. I want a different engine, the KA24DE is perfect. That's some change. And I want to turbo it. Not to mention the LSD I want, new dash, transmission, floor pans, seats, gauges, etc. So basically, it's too expensive to want to do it. But the way I'm wording my research so far is I'm talking about performance vehicles. That way if I decide to switch it around mid-project I can without having to dump more hours of research in.
Back to top Go down
jamcco
jamcco

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2014, 8:19 pm

TooIngenious wrote:
jamcco wrote:
Sounds alot like what I'm planning on doing for my senior project.......except I'm going to do something with some sort of car.......If you're going to spend senior year working on a project, might as well make it fun..  Cool

Well if I wanted to do what I want to do to my truck, I'd have well over 5k invested. I want a $500 lowering kit, includes spindles, blocks, and shocks. New rims/tires, that'll set me back about $1,200. I want a different engine, the KA24DE is perfect. That's some change. And I want to turbo it. Not to mention the LSD I want, new dash, transmission, floor pans, seats, gauges, etc. So basically, it's too expensive to want to do it. But the way I'm wording my research so far is I'm talking about performance vehicles. That way if I decide to switch it around mid-project I can without having to dump more hours of research in.

I'm a sophmore at the moment, so I have some time to come up with a good idea for a project, Money will definetly play a huge roll in my build, but the plan is to have a sweet car/truck to drive around in as the final product....sorry, not planning on jacking your thread.....a mower would be cool because it is inexpensive and would allow you to mod it to your thesis and have a nice finished product
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2014, 8:27 pm

jamcco wrote:
sorry, not planning on jacking your thread.....a mower would be cool because it is inexpensive and would allow you to mod it to your thesis and have a nice finished product

It's cool, lol. Talking about the same stuff all the time gets boring. The money thing was the whole reason I'm building a tractor. Plus it's pretty fun. But I'd still rather have a *****-looking truck that'll pull Mid-to-Low 12's all day long. Especially one that requires no maintenance besides the usual oil change and brake shoes here and there. That's my goal with the Nissan:

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20140822_182702
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2014, 10:46 am

Just waiting on an engine for my tractor. I went through the parts trailer at my house this weekend and found some cool lollipops for my tractor. One will be always lit and the other will flash like a hazard. I even found a flasher relay. Lucky me. I still have to do the wiring for them in preparation for the engine. I'm thinking about wiring up a fuse box, like Doc I think it was, did on one of his tractors. I end up wanting to have a bunch of accessories, so that seems mandatory.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2014, 10:24 am

GO ME!!!! I found a Peerless 820-016C. I'm going to find all the information I can about it, but I plan on getting it around Christmas, or before then. I have a bunch of plans for it. Locked, oil filled, bearings, gussets if I feel it won't hold up.

I was also thinking about some real crazy stuff just to say I built it: Portal Axles. If anybody knows what they are I'm sure you'll like the idea of it. If you don't know what they are: look up a unimog. They're real badass. The portal axles are basically a reduction hub that raises the axle higher than the center of the wheel, giving you more ground clearance. That means rear lift and more ground clearance. Not just some body lift. But the only thing is they'll be expensive to build. Plus they have to be extremely strong. I was thinking of using parts transaxles for gears so they'd be strong enough. I was also debating between zerks to grease them, or build them air tight so I can fill them with oil or grease and have a drain/fill hole to replace the old oil or whatever. But that's in the super design phase. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I may move this to the technical forums so people can find it better and hopefully get some more input.

Anyways, that's it for today's update.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2014, 11:19 am

My and my friend have shot the idea around, we were thinking two pillow bearings and a little chunk of live axle into the rim and some sprockets and chain. Would probably be find if you really overbuilt the mounts. Then we'd raise the axle into the frame and use a belt jack shaft. But we still think that it would be to wide for trails and only like 18-20" of actual tunnel clearance.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2014, 11:57 am

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
My and my friend have shot the idea around, we were thinking two pillow bearings and a little chunk of live axle into the rim and some sprockets and chain. Would probably be find if you really overbuilt the mounts. Then we'd raise the axle into the frame and use a belt jack shaft. But we still think that it would be to wide for trails and only like 18-20" of actual tunnel clearance.

I didn't really think of the chain. I was still thinking gear to gear like the full-size stuff uses. A chain sounds really good since my machine will have like 20 horsepower max, for now anyways. Wink The mounts were the only thing I was really worried about. I'd hate to bend the metal up and start eating away at stuff. I was looking at that 820 yesterday and I don't think it'd be too wide. I'd do a Doc locker with a shorter live axle. I would only make the axle shafts long enough to fit gears on the end. It would probably be around 4" wider max I'd think, but I'd also make the portals to fit inside the rim. I'd only have like an extra 4 inches of lift. If that. That is good enough for me. If you can find a trail not wide enough to fit a 38" wide tractor in then bring a chainsaw and a trailer to haul the wood away. Where I live it's mostly trails that people have made with 4 wheelers and trucks, so I'll fit no problem.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2014, 4:20 pm

Well I got my 820, guys! Time to start that build. I may save my tractor for the buildoff since I plan on getting a new engine/transaxle. The only thing really staying the same is the frame and dash. Lol.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2015, 8:12 pm

I'm finally able to make picture posts, everybody! My laptop took a poop and I'm just now getting a tablet to use until I can get a new laptop. I've had many updates since my last post.

First, I got the 820.Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 IMG_20141219_230103
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20141219_205420

I got her all cleaned off for the most part. I just used a wire wheel to get most of the crap off. I'll be using aluminum acid to clean the rest.
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20150103_143033

That nasty grease took forever to get out.
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Snapchat-6064662252200311031
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20150108_163538

I soaked all the gears and both axle shafts in diesel overnight. The next day after school I just brushed it all down.
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20150108_163533
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20150109_103851

I found out why this thing was slipping out of gear. New shift keys are being ordered soon.
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20150109_165017

I'm going to try and get the differential cap things broached and get a setscrew hole tapped so I can run a live axle. I can't wait!
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 20150109_170855

All that's left for the transaxle are shift keys, getting those caps broached, getting a live axle and machining it, and replacing the brake shaft gear and the intermidiate output gear so the final drive ratio is around 5.61:1 instead of 8.02:1. I'll be able to go about 45mph with a 1:1 pulley ratio then. Speed all depends on what rpms I end up running, which leads me to my newest update: I got a full pressure lube v twin!

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Snapchat-6352329243009838894

Plans for it so far: billet flywheel, billet rods, possibly new pistons, stronger valve springs, all steel push rods, high performance cam, and possibly a twin barrel carb. All comments are sure welcome!
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2015, 9:45 pm

Sweet man!
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2015, 11:55 am

1997 Murray wrote:
Sweet man!

Thanks! I'm sitting in auto right now. I've been thinking about bringing the engine in and tearing it apart so I can find out what's wrong with the left piston/rod assembly. I think the rod blew apart because the piston doesn't move when I turn the crankshaft. Only one way to know for sure, though! I'm thinking about just fixing the one side so it'll run and put it in my tractor. I'll try and stockpile the parts and do everything at once. I was looking around online and I think I've got the prices pretty much figured out:

• Billet Flywheel: ~$350
  • Billet Rod x2: ~$260
  • Performance Cam:  Between $60-$220 (Depends if I want stock big block cam or all out performance cam...)
  • Hi Rev kit: ~$85 (Comes with valve shims, billet retainers, and 2 steel pushrods. Supposed to stop valve float up to like 6k rpm.)
  • 16 hp heads: Around $75 a pair at my local mower graveyard. Head shave possibly...
  • Port and Polish Intake: I'll do this myself. It'll only cost as much as a dremel. So about $75-$100 depending on accessories.
  • Twin Barrel Carb: ~$200 (I'm not sure what the price was, but I saw one. I figured that would give me some wiggle room.)
  • Custom Exhaust: I was thinking a 2 into 1 with a little stack. Maybe a mitered stack with a weather cap. Mhm.

That's all I'm thinking of for now. That's pushing $1,200. I guess I'll add stuff as I think of it. I might edit my original post so that this info is up there at the front.

Last edited by TooIngenious on January 22nd 2015, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2015, 3:18 pm

I personally would just port and polish, new rods, and 2bbl carb. cam maybe, but I don't think you have money to do all that fancy work. (I know I don't) you probably don't even need the carb, but if you find one cheep somewhere it would be worth it. just saying, but if you have that kind of money to spend, do it. It just might not be wise.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2015, 4:19 pm

1997 Murray wrote:
I personally would just port and polish, new rods, and 2bbl carb. cam maybe, but I don't think you have money to do all that fancy work. (I know I don't) you probably don't even need the carb, but if you find one cheep somewhere it would be worth it. just saying, but if you have that kind of money to spend, do it. It just might not be wise.

Not trying to be a dick, but who are you to tell me how much money I have to spend? The flywheel is pretty much top priority anyways because of the ungoverned speeds I plan to run at. That's the most expensive single item on the list, if I buy it new. I want to make sure this baby can breath, which is the intention of the 2 barrel carb and custom exhaust. The high performance cam is what I'm doubting at this point. The only reason I'd get it is if the bb cam doesn't perform well in the higher rpms. I still have plenty of research to do before I come to a coclusion, though.
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2015, 4:30 pm

I look at it this way, if you can double the horsepower of a engine by putting a couple hundred or a thousand bucks into it and you have the money to spend. GO FOR IT, really what other type of engine can you gain so much power out of for so cheap? Not really anything. Don't tell the guy how to spend, or what to spend on. How do you know his financial situation, he can spend money on whatever he wants.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2015, 6:21 pm

TooIngenious wrote:
1997 Murray wrote:

Not trying to be a dick, but who are you to tell me how much money I have to spend? The flywheel is pretty much top priority anyways because of the ungoverned speeds I plan to run at. That's the most expensive single item on the list, if I buy it new.  I want to make sure this baby can breath, which is the intention of the 2 barrel carb and custom exhaust. The high performance cam is what I'm doubting at this point. The only reason I'd get it is if the bb cam doesn't perform well in the higher rpms. I still have plenty of research to do before I come to a coclusion, though.

Go right ahead and do whatever you want, I am just saying what I would do, but he can do whatever.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2015, 6:43 pm

Yea, everyone has personal preferences as what to do with money. Obviously id love to boast about billet stuff and its only adding good things to your engine, but i cant justify the cost as to how much im actually doing to my mower/other projects. All depends on what stange you stop at upgrading.

Keep it friendly guys tongue
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2015, 7:34 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Keep it friendly guys tongue

Please guys. Lol. I'd hate to start a fight and watch a whole bunch of people get butt hurt. Like 820 said, the intention is to double the hp I can crank out of the engine. I wanna be able to compete with 4 wheelers and stuff, so the engine feels like something I shouldn't overlook.
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2015, 12:55 pm

It sounds like you have a good plan for the engine, cost doesn't matter, pulling guys put a lot more than that into engines without blinking. A good solid engine build is a great start for any kind of performance application. Keep us posted on progress.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2015, 8:29 pm

dked41 wrote:
It sounds like you have a good plan for the engine, cost doesn't matter, pulling guys put a lot more than that into engines without blinking. A good solid engine build is a great start for any kind of performance application. Keep us posted on progress.

The idea for now was to repair whatever damage is done internally and run it until I have all the performance parts. My only question is should I get a billet rod to replace the stock one that is mesed up or just find a stock replacement?

I'll be happy to pull 30-35hp out of this engine when I'm done. I don't think I'll have a problem getting there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next