All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
802 Customs
802 Customs

Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.  Empty
PostSubject: Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.    Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.  Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2015, 8:49 pm

I have always wanted a auto darkening helmet from the first time I ever used my welder. I though they would be way too expensive for me, because offerings from Lincoln Electric were like $250. I was walking down the welding isle at TSC about a week before Christmas, and I saw the metal man helmet for like $40 on sale or something like that. I added it to my wish list and I got it. Anyways I tried it out for the first time, and WOW. If you don't have a auto dark and hate your fixed shade like I did I would definitely pick one up. I hate fixed shade because when you flip the lens down you have to hope your gun didn't move. My weld quality increased instantly, with the old fixed shade I couldn't even see the puddle, or where I was going. The only thing that I could see was the arc. With the new helmet I can see the arc, puddle, and I can actually see where I am going with the weld. It is nothing fancy but it gets the job done, fixed at shade 10, no grind mode, but I use it as a face shield when I grind or cut. You aren't gonna be able to weld 5 amp pulse tig or anything, but it ain't a $500 helmet either. Its still on sale for $40 as of the date of the post. Click here to check the price
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.    Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.  Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2015, 10:54 pm

I think I paid around $60 at lowes for an auto darkening job a couple years ago. Doesn't work too bad. Kobalt I guess it is. Once in a while it doesn't darken right away and you get blinded, but not too often. It's had a lot of use since I got it though, could be part of the issue. At least it's semi shaded all the time, so at least when it misses, you don't get the full light.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.    Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.  Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2015, 11:53 pm

mr.modified wrote:
I think I paid around $60 at lowes for an auto darkening job a couple years ago. Doesn't work too bad. Kobalt I guess it is. Once in a while it doesn't darken right away and you get blinded, but not too often. It's had a lot of use since I got it though, could be part of the issue. At least it's semi shaded all the time, so at least when it misses, you don't get the full light.

That happens to me all the time. Usually slag and stuff put a coating on the solar panel. Usually just wipe it off and I'm good. I keep mine in the big drawer at the bottom of my toolbox so it doesn't get light until I get to welding. Sometimes it do t work because of that so I usually let it set on a window sill in the sun for a few minutes before I begin welding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.    Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tractor Supply "Metal Man" auto darkening welding helmet.
Page 1 of 1