All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

You and Your Youtube Channel

Go down 
+5
Doug
redlinemotorsportts
Creepycrawler
kawasaki220
willysjeepmb
9 posters
AuthorMessage
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

You and Your Youtube Channel Empty
PostSubject: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2015, 10:07 pm

Does anyone on here use youtube to make a little or a decent amount of money to help out with there mower repairs and builds or at lease just to make a little cash on the side?

I was hoping there would be at least a few on here that does this or at least could explain how to get setup to be able to make a little cash. What little I make a week at work has to be spent on vehicle fixes, gas, insurance, and all that good stuff. So, I really don't have much of a way to get a decent used mower for a build to start a hopefully successful youtube mower romping channel. By what kind of views I get I wouldn't get much if any cash to kick off my channel. I know you have to be around a while and have good videos to get the views and subscribers, but I have been on youtube for 3 years now, 2,050 total channel views with 27 videos, and only 11 subscribers. My most viewed video in my opinion is the worst video I have by time and video quality, but yet my best video has only 90 views.

If I could actually get 500 views in 6 months on one video, I would actually take the time to setup the best video shots I could get with what I have and make more like it. Only problem is I can not do much with nothing to get the videos and the views I would like to achieve, but I will admit I'm not that good at talking to the camera(which people that are good at that get more views and a better video) and my bush hog and mini bike videos speak for itself on that part.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2015, 9:06 am

well one way to get views and subs is to post the link to your video on instagram or face book and here and also comment on other peoples videos like fearlessfront redneckcomputergeak lapivonimac murray mayhem those and then as other are commenting they see your channel, witch makes others want to see what you got
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2015, 11:20 am

This may sound harsh, but its really not. I think if your doing youtube for the money, your wasting your time. I have 14000 views and 140 ish subscribers, and all my videos are monetized. It says I have earned around 9$ so far, for the entire time Ive had my channel up. I have lots of hours Editing my video, so I would be making a few cents on the dollar. So here is my suggestion for extra cash.

Option 1. Work overtime, at your current job. I know nobody likes it, but its what I do when Im short on cash.

Option 2. Pick up odd jobs for extra cash. I do this also. I just talked to family and friends and people I work with and say "Hey, Im looking for Odd jobs" most of the time I fix lawn mowers and tillers. but I also do carpentry and general cleanup stuff.

Option 3, get another part time Job. Also sucks but will be solid source of additional income.

If your really needing extra cash. Youtube is not the place. Now if your just looking for more views, here is what has worked for me. How to videos. How to Videos are my most viewed videos. I have very little time making and editing them, but they kill my Mower Vids in views, even though I have 3x the effort in making them. Also, Like you said, You Have to talk in your videos if you want them to be popular. I hate talking in my vids, and looking in the camera. but if you look at all the most popular channels and watch there videos, they all talk alot into the camera. It makes the Videos more personal. Also record in at least 720 hd. nobody likes watching fuzzy videos. And do everything possible to hold the camera steady, nobody wants to get sea sick when they watch movies. Hope this Helps ya.

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2015, 6:23 pm

I have over 530 subscribers and 81,000 views and never monotized mine. I keep up on youtube things, and from what I've gathered over the years is that it's just not worth it. Maybe once I'm around 1200 subs and get a good amount of views per video I upload I'll start monetizing.

Last edited by redlinemotorsportts on July 21st 2015, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2015, 8:56 pm

I tried monetizing when I first started, and it wasnt really worth it so I removed all monetization. Im not too big now, but I made one pretty decent how-to and monetized that, and thats where I get my money from, but its almost been a full year since release, just over 10k views and im only halfway to that $100 check.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2015, 10:13 pm

Lol.. I'm about 850,000 views... Made couple hundred bucks over the years... 1200 subs. There are guys here with more I believe.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2015, 10:13 pm

Lol.. I'm about 850,000 views... Made couple hundred bucks over the years... 1200 subs. There are guys here with more I believe.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 3:40 am

kawasaki220 wrote:
well one way to get views and subs is to post the link to your video on instagram or face book and here and also comment on other peoples videos like fearlessfront redneckcomputergeak lapivonimac murray mayhem those and then as other are commenting they see your channel, witch makes others want to see what you got
Thanks for that information. I would have never thought of that my self.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 9:52 am

Build a small submarine that you can fit in and then upload video from inside while diving it and explaining how everything works... Guaranteed subscribers...maybe anyway.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 12:15 pm

Build a 74ft Chinese junk in your front lawn with a few buddies, that's how you get views. Duh.

Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 2:22 pm

Creepycrawler wrote:
This may sound harsh, but its really not. I think if your doing youtube for the money, your wasting your time. I have 14000 views and 140 ish subscribers, and all my videos are monetized. It says I have earned around 9$ so far, for the entire time Ive had my channel up. I have lots of hours Editing my video, so I would be making a few cents on the dollar. So here is my suggestion for extra cash.

Option 1. Work overtime, at your current job. I know nobody likes it, but its what I do when Im short on cash.

Option 2. Pick up odd jobs for extra cash. I do this also. I just talked to family and friends and people I work with and say "Hey, Im looking for Odd jobs" most of the time I fix lawn mowers and tillers. but I also do carpentry and general cleanup stuff.

Option 3, get another part time Job. Also sucks but will be solid source of additional income.

If your really needing extra cash. Youtube is not the place. Now if your just looking for more views, here is what has worked for me. How to videos.  How to Videos are my most viewed videos. I have very little time making and editing them, but they kill my Mower Vids in views, even though I have 3x the effort in making them.  Also, Like you said, You Have to talk in your videos if you want them to be popular. I hate talking in my vids, and looking in the camera. but if you look at all the most popular channels and watch there videos, they all talk alot into the camera. It makes the Videos more personal. Also record in at least 720 hd. nobody likes watching fuzzy videos. And do everything possible to hold the camera steady, nobody wants to get sea sick when they watch movies. Hope this Helps ya.

Yea, I discovered later after my first post that they don't pay as much as I thought. Its just not worth it to me. I would like to work overtime, but I work for a guy at his home instead of a business. Now I like to do odd jobs even when I don't need the extra cash. Right now I am redoing a ford 8n engine for a friends grandpa. I would get a part time job too, but I could really use that time to take care of more important stuff. Besides, I don't need the money over what little spare time I have left.

I am really looking to get the views more than I care about the money from my videos. Now I would like to do how to videos, but that goes back to being able to talk to the camera. I would have a lot of how to videos I could do that I have never even seen on youtube. Ever seen a how to video on building a axle for like a go cart or mower project that is basically the same as a automotive axle with the shafts inside a housing(my little idea on a 4x4 mower build). I don't mind talking to the camera and looking in it, its just I tend to freeze up in mid sentence a lot and for some reason the way I talk no mater how good I try the video doesn't pick me up loud enough or sometimes clear enough. I don't know why, but I sound completely different on video than I do in person no mater what camera I used. I myself got tired of the fuzzy bad videos quality, so I bought a go pro. Takes care of the video quality and gives me more video taking options.
Thanks everyone for all of the information you are sharing. It really helps and might help someone else when they find this thread too.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 2:25 pm

mr.modified wrote:
Build a small submarine that you can fit in and then upload video from inside while diving it and explaining how everything works... Guaranteed subscribers...maybe anyway.
Oh heck yea. If I could do it I would. It would be more fun on the lake and stealth.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 7:12 pm

Yea it takes a while. You only get paid a few cents per click. Unless youre major Youtube like those guys with millions of subs (or even a few hundred thousamd) you wont make enough money to fuel your hobby consistently.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 9:58 pm

I read a thing somewhere a few months back that said about youtube and how they just broke even last year or something. Seems their idea of people watching a lot of junk on there almost instead of tv didn't work as well as they thought because most people use it to link videos onto other sites. Like on here for instance if you just uploaded a vid on youtube so people on here can see it. Then people just watch that one video intead of continue browsing youtube.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2015, 11:10 pm

Huh? I did not know that. Makes sense though.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2015, 3:54 pm

Well that WAS the entire purpose of Youtube before they tried to monetize it. All that happened was hipsters and a lot of headaches.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2015, 8:32 pm

Hahahaha. True
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2015, 7:48 pm

I never made any money on You Tube, never monitized and never plan too. I kinda figured there wasn't any money in it anyways. I started my channel just for fun. I used to watch those car shows, buy the magazines and got on horsepowertv.com and Stacy Davids site but was pretty boring. Figured I'd have my own show and looked into Youtube after watching it for a while. I been building gocarts since I was a kid, been doing it longer then working on cars and just enjoy it better. I'm still small potatoes but just about everyone likes my vids. I think I got like 7 thumbs down total on all my vids, might be a couple more but mostly for the better. You got the same fears I had when I started. My first vid was on the alternators and it took like 50 takes to figure out how to just talk to the camera on the intro, just the intro, LOL. If it helps use q cards but I never could do that, I just had to remember everything. Just relax and imagine your talking to your best friend, it does help. That go pro will help with the vid part, but audio depends on the camera. Some go pro's suck on audio. I just have abunch of cameras gathered up over the years. I grabbed my wife's camera, great audio but ok video. My smartphone, great stills with great audio and video, but half of the time I can't reformat or edit it right because of freezing because of software issues. My best camera is about 8 years old for all around use, it's a DXG I bummed off my stepdaughter because she never used it, (we got it for her one christmas). I pretty much begged, borrowed, and stoled most of my camera equipment and I use it accordingly. Software for editing helps too. Windows does OK but look into better software from Best Buy or something. Ask how you can edit the digital video. Play with the windows software to see how it works and compare it to others.

As for ideas. Leave comments on You Tube to get an idea on what people would like to see, they do answer back. My first video series I did on my channel, for my channel, was the 10si alternators and I got the idea from Doc Sprocket ( great guy by the way). I seen one of his vids I think on him putting an alt. on a riding mower and made the suggestion in his comments if he would like to see how to rewire the stator to get more amperage and he answered back. That pretty much kicked off my channel. Be interactive to get ideas pretty much. An advantage you have on You Tube as compared to TV or Cable TV, direct feedback from viewers. I always get a kick out of where people watch my vids, here in the US,down to Brazil, all the way over to Russia, and down to Australia. Me building my tank, has me worried alittle though,since I'm getting hits in afganistan, LOL. Makes you wonder alittle who's watching. And don't forget little kids are watching too, try to keep it clean.

Experience is the best way to learn, you do get better, get better ideas, and so on. And don't be afraid to critisize your own work concidering the worst critic is you.

Hope it helps, and above all have fun otherwise it's just a job that your'e not getting paid for.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2015, 8:53 pm

That's pretty much why I started mine too. I have noticed what you mean by go pro audio quality. I think a lot of people keep the solid cover on instead of putting on the one with holes in it. I have only used the cover with holes and get great audio quality, but I have noticed one problem with windows movie maker. It does make uploads faster, but I can see a little video quality loss. Only reason I don't make videos more often is mostly how long it takes to upload a video. Takes me about 5-8 hours to upload a 10 min video. How long does it take for everyone else to upload about a 10 min video?
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2015, 11:12 pm

willysjeepmb wrote:
That's pretty much why I started mine too. I have noticed what you mean by go pro audio quality. I think a lot of people keep the solid cover on instead of putting on the one with holes in it. I have only used the cover with holes and get great audio quality, but I have noticed one problem with windows movie maker. It does make uploads faster, but I can see a little video quality loss. Only reason I don't make videos more often is mostly how long it takes to upload a video. Takes me about 5-8 hours to upload a 10 min video. How long does it take for everyone else to upload about a 10 min video?

It takes me about double the time of the video, and lately, YouTube, when my vids done uploading, it tells me there's been an error with their server. So I check for the video and it's uploaded OK. Weird.
Back to top Go down
Warren Evans
Warren Evans

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2017, 5:15 pm

I just started doing vids at the first of the year its fun for me and I just want to grow cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You and Your Youtube Channel   You and Your Youtube Channel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You and Your Youtube Channel
Page 1 of 1