All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Murrayman
Murrayman

Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Empty
PostSubject: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2011, 10:33 am

Hey everybody I just got a 16hp opposed twin that I'm trying to put in my Murray but it doesn't fit the way it should so I'm wondering if it will hurt anything to mount the motor side ways or backward I don't see how it would change anything.... Please help?!
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2011, 12:54 pm

If it clears everything and you can route your exhaust and throttle/choke cables then why not. I ran into the same problem with my murray, I opted to add 3" of sheetmetal to the dash and raise the hood brackets.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Murrayman
Murrayman

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2011, 1:23 pm

Now that i figured how to mount it i ran into another problem. . . .I tried to get it running before i fully bolted it down and couldnt get it to go. I checked and there was no spark, ive add oil to see if it was a low oil sensor, then i checked for chewed up wires, then cleaned up the magnets and still no spark. . .any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2011, 8:34 pm

Disconnect the kill wire for the coils and see if it has spark. That way you can tell if it is a wiring problem.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
Murrayman
Murrayman

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2011, 9:35 pm

I did this and it still had no spark so im getting a coil for it tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the problem
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Murrayman
Murrayman

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2011, 7:47 am

Good new and bad news. . . I got the new coil and it now has spark and runs mint but here comes the bad news, it has a knock that is very distinct. My dad says it is most likely a rod does anyone think otherwise?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2011, 7:27 am

Low oil wouldve been a possible warning sign , opposed motors dont usually have a oil sensor ( unless added later) .

Opposed motors have an access plate on the back of the motor- you can open it up and see - the good thing is it can be rebuilt now before it goes sky high .

Its either a bad bering or could be something with the valves - i would suggest not running it anymore until its been fixed correctly .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?   Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs 16 opposed twin; can it be mounted sideways?
Page 1 of 1