All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

my mower projects(name changed)

Go down 
+10
AllisKidD21
mrshaft696
RockeyDA
SebastianAlbrecht
MightyRaze
Creepycrawler
MatthewD
SteamNut247
Crazy_Carl
darkside0914
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
MightyRaze
Administrator

Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2019, 7:23 am

Many say the 820's weak point is the reverse chain... Remember the case is a weak point too, so I would use caution with the thought of "could have used a bigger tire".  It's looking good!
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2019, 9:17 am

the 930's weakpoint seems to be the bull gear. as i have killed 2 that way
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2019, 2:53 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
Many say the 820's weak point is the reverse chain... Remember the case is a weak point too, so I would use caution with the thought of "could have used a bigger tire".  It's looking good!
i don't think i will have much trouble with the current tire size since it the stock size, i do need to make a set of braces for the front of the transaxle, my mst had a bolt going from the frame to the case with a spacer inbetween as a brace, stock setup, and the 820 doesn't have provision for that same setup, i don't think i'm going to be breaking this, most of my riding is in mud and light to medium trail duty, there just isn't any really good trails around here that i can find or have access to anymore
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2019, 1:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-gXnAEI0c
to be honest this thing is a beast with these tires, i had no trouble going through some nasty mud that gave my locked mst and the nobbies i had before some trouble
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2019, 9:08 pm

well me and my brother are having issues with his murray grass cutter, it's a 98 widebody with a 46in deck, to put it simply, the deck engagement lever won't work, it does fine without the engagement spring, but as soon as you put any kind of tension on it it refuses to move, we actually bent the lever trying and we can't figure it out makes no sense to either of us, so we are doing an electric clutch conversion, as much as i hate electric clutches it's our only choice, good thing we already have the electric clutch assembly, all we will need to do is remove the pulley brakes from the deck and figure out a couple other minor things, we'll leave the factory deck clutch on and just use it as a tensioner, the hardest part will be keeping the part of the electric clutch with the wires from turning but i think i have that figured out too
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2019, 12:16 am

i'm having an issue with the vtwin on my murray, 23hp briggs off a huskie. i'm not sure if you can call it an issue really, basically it don't like getting wet, when it gets wet it starts misfiring really bad and popping through the carb, after running a short time and it dries out it runs perfectly fine again, is this an issue these briggs v twins have and is there a way to fix it? also can the dual output coil off an opposed twin be used on a v twin?
Back to top Go down
RockeyDA
Established Member
RockeyDA
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2019, 6:13 am

for me its spark plugs when that happens. slide the cable ends past the rubber boot and coat every thing in grease
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2019, 12:45 pm

RockeyDA wrote:
for me its spark plugs when that happens. slide the cable ends past the rubber boot and coat every thing in grease
thanks,i'll try that see if it does any good, i know you watched my last video should have been able to hear what it's doing
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2020, 2:47 am

my brother has found me a gem, for awhile i've been looking for a briggs 5hp flattie for my toro 550 and he got me one today, actually a 6.5hp but it seems to be in good condition, i hope it runs like he was told it did, but it does need a carb, once i get some of my other projects done i'll be dragging out the toro and seeing what i can do with it now that i finally have an engine for it
Back to top Go down
Austin_Gore
Austin_Gore

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2020, 3:57 am

I might have a carb that would work
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2020, 2:29 am

@Austin_Gore thanks for the offer, i've got a couple new style intakes off a 12hp flattie, they are the same bolt pattern and size as the 6.5hp so i'll probably be using one of those, i also have a couple of the old style carbs that look to be in fair shape, i know one works but the throttle lever has broken loose from the shaft that works the throttle plate, i just need to put it back in position and tack weld it, the real issue will be a gas tank, the mower i want to put this engine on is a 70-73 toro 550 mini mower, the original 5hp briggs had a tank on the engine under the carb, so there's no where to mount a tank anywhere else without making mounts
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2020, 7:20 pm

what to do what to do, we were given 2 riders, a john deere l110 or similar, no hood to be sure, it has a briggs 17hp intek and i believe a 38in deck, it's in decent shape but since the engine was eithhher being removed or it was just replaced and not hooked we can't start it yet, it also has a 5sp geared transaxle, the other freebie is a simplicity broadmoor, the only other markings i can find are where it says hydro15, it has a motor i didn't know existed, a single cylinder 15hp briggs vanguard, i didn't know they made a single vanguard, it also has a 38in deck and is a hydro controlled with a lever on the column, and it runs great, needs the wiring redone but otherwise runs perfectly, the deck is in near perfect condition not counting the blades needing replaced, and except for the headlight being screwed up the body is in great condition, dirty but good paint and not dented or bent up, and good tires all around on both tractors, not bad for a couple freebies just dropped off by someone unknown with a note saying they're yours do what you want with them, when i say unknown i mean it, nobody we know has any clue who might've dropped them off
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2020, 9:10 pm

Those single cylinder vanguards are pretty decent from what I know about them. Should be a decent tractor for ya
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 9:53 am

I don't think there is really much of a difference between the single cylinder Vanguard and a regular Briggs single. I think the Vanguard has an oil filter, a fuel pump, and it has those stupid extra blower shrouds, but other than that, there's not really any major difference.

The John Deere would be an L100. The smallest of the L-series. It was the only model with a 5 spd instead of the K46 hydro.

Never had too much issue with the L-series. My grandpas L110 has always been a good little mower, my L111 seems to be decent besides the deck needing a rebuild and new fenders, and our L120 has just been a pain but it gets worked pretty hard.

You should be able to get a decent price for it since it's a JD.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 8:12 pm

the only issue i've found with the jd is it has no hood, the deck spindles turn and have no abnormal sounds, at least at the speed i can turn them by hand, there's no through rust just some paint missing and minor surface rust that i can find, but i haven't pulled it off the mower yet for a better look, the vanguard has a hard starting issue, probably valves needing adjusted, we still don't know who dropped them off, but we have no problem taking free mowers, even if they just end up in the scrap pile
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2020, 4:23 am

well this is interesting, to me at least, i got my hands on an old golf cart rear axle, i have no clue what it came out of, but it's almost automotive in how it's made, it looks alot like the old harley davidson 3 wheeled cart axles, it has a front input and a 4 bolt flange that would take a drive shaft easily enough, i'm planning to mount it under one of my tractors run a drive shaft up front and a horizontal shaft engine with a torque converter to drive it all, what i haven't decided is weather i want to set up a rear suspension or just hard mount it, i do have the complete front suspension out of a chinese 110 atv( as long as i can find the hubs) i could mount them both and have a mud mower with full suspension, or i could hard mount the golf cart axle and lower the front of the tractor for a street mower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my mower projects(name changed)   mower - my mower projects(name changed) - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my mower projects(name changed)
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8