All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Pull-Behind Mowing Deck

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Empty
PostSubject: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2019, 1:13 pm

So, the mower is kinda being a pain right now. The trans won't stay in gear, the belt won't stay on even though it's new and tight, the starter is having issues, the steering stinks, and it's all-around annoying to drive. The Deere, on the other hand, is super fun to drive, although it has no deck on it. So, I had the thought, why not take the old deck and put an engine on it and a trailer tongue? It was one of those that has the 4" wheels on it, so it is a perfect candidate!

PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck 20190310

He's the victim, not sure what size it is. The 110s came with either a 38" or a 46", and I forgot to measure it. It's probably a 38.

PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck 20190311

Model & serial numbers.

PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck 20190312

Tri-bladed.

PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck 20190313

Pulled the top cover off. These had a twin belt setup, one went to the PTO and had a belt twist, the other ran along all the pulleys. I'd say it's time for a new belt, don't ya think? PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck 1098998679

My favorite part was the big snail shell:

PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck 20190314

I was honestly afraid there'd be a big snake curled up under there.

Anyway, the belt was pretty stuck on, I managed to pry it off with a screwdriver. The idlers are seized, the spindles were too but I hit the blades with a hammer and they came unstuck. I think everything should work out alright with some lubricant.

The engine would probably be an engine off of a push mower I have sitting around, or I may go buy a Predator push mower engine.

That's all I really had time for, lemme know what you think of this idea!
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
mrshaft696
Established Member
mrshaft696
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2019, 3:45 pm

I think it is a fine idea, I was gonna do it with a 50" deck I had lying around, it would be a good field mower but wouldn't be real maneuverable around any trees or bushes around the house...

Me I wouldn't use that one unless I had the parts, I can get another tractor for what it would cost to fix it, but that is just me....

I wanted to make one to tow thru the woods or taller grass & give it some bigger wheels & tires & possibly make the height adjustable.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2019, 3:47 pm

I was gonna do the same thing but was going to use a pressure washer engine or an 8 horse Briggs. Never made it past mock up for me
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2019, 7:28 pm

mrshaft696 wrote:
I think it is a fine idea, I was gonna do it with a 50" deck I had lying around, it would be a good field mower but wouldn't be real maneuverable around any trees or bushes around the house...

Me I wouldn't use that one unless I had the parts, I can get another tractor for what it would cost to fix it, but that is just me....

I wanted to make one to tow thru the woods or taller grass & give it some bigger wheels & tires & possibly make the height adjustable.

Well, I've got about a 4 acre field around the house I need to mow, and probably about 10 acres of miscellaneous land to mow, plus a 2 mile dirt road with 10 foot sections of grass on either side. So not much maneuverability needed.

I think I can do it for practically nothing, and mowers are a lot more expensive out here. Plus I'd rather ride on the Deere.

The wheels can be moved up and down so it is adjustable.

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
I was gonna do the same thing but was going to use a pressure washer engine or an 8 horse Briggs. Never made it past mock up for me

Yeah, I think the engine I have in mind is like 6 hp, not sure.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2019, 9:55 pm

Seems like a neat idea, should work if you put a good mill on 'er. Is it gonna have a clutch for the blades with a lever you can flip from the seat? That'd be cool, a lot better than just having the blades on all the time.

Also I'd maybe take those hubs apart and re-pack the bearings being that they were siezed, don't want them self-destructing or anything.

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
Cheesedawg82

PostSubject: Re: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2019, 3:26 pm

Just saw a new pull behind mower come up in an ad. The tongue was long and could be angled out so it towed offset, doubling the mowing width of the tractor that was pulling it that had a functional deck. Food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2019, 4:13 pm

So I haven't updated this lately, I've gotten a couple other tractors that have the potential to mow, so this project is on hold for now, still want to do it someday though.

I do sorta have an engine, 8hp briggs vertical shaft flatty. Cylinder wall is pretty bad, so it does need to be rebuilt at the very least. Some of the ruts looked really bad, so it may not even be useable. It would be a perfect engine for this thing, we'll have to see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pull-Behind Mowing Deck   PULL - Pull-Behind Mowing Deck Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pull-Behind Mowing Deck
Page 1 of 1